NVIDIA Announces The New Titan X

The point is that the people saying 'who cares about the price' have it wrong. At some price the Titan will be a foolish buy. Is that price $1,200? We will see how well these sell.
Depends on its performance characteristics. If its ridiculously powerful without competition, then nvidia can charge high prices. There will always be customers who will be willing to shell out high cash for top-o-line performance that's justified. If the perf isn't there compared to the rest of the line up, then yeah, it would be foolish.

My question is what is that justified performance line? +25%, 40%, 50%.....?

I bought a 1440p overclockable monitor (96hz) with my 980ti

Is it one of the Korean models off the egg? I thought about it, but never pulled the trigger..

I also have to say every time I see Mitan or Pitan I laugh a little - thanks for making sure we all got it right early!

It is a PERFECT example. LOTS of things cost over $1,000,000. We have now established that at $1,200 the Titan X is not a foolish buy but at $1,000,000 it IS foolish. So we know that at some point the Titan X would be a foolish buy, we are just now haggling over the price ;)

"Lots" of things may be more than $1m - but are lots of PC components? I have no idea of the relevance here.

Is $1,200 a new high for a "consumer" video card? Yes. Is it out of the range of PC component pricing? No. See: 6950X, etc.

This is not the full chip, so I would wait.
Nvidia got this out the door to gear up for other Pascal variants to milk the high end.

Don't be pissed off if you buy this card, Nvidia releases the 1080Ti in October, then something like a 3840 CUDA Titan XP in December/January for the same money (see Kepler 780Ti, Titan and Titan Black).

Last edited:
This is not the full chip, so I would wait.
Nvidia got this out the door to gear up for other Pascal variants to milk the high end.

Don't be pissed off if you buy this card, Nvidia releases the 1080Ti in October, then something like a 3840 CUDA Titan XP in December/January for the same money (see Kepler 780Ti, Titan and Titan Black).

The Titan Black was only like 10% faster than the Titan and really didn't get previous OG Titan buyers to upgrade. If a new GPU comes out 10% faster than the 2016 Titan X there would literally be no incentive for people to upgrade who have the 2016 TitanX. The next significant performance boost would be Volta. I think people would be happy that technology is moving forward either way, so it's not something to really get upset over.

The Titan Black was only like 10% faster than the Titan and really didn't get previous OG Titan buyers to upgrade. If a new GPU comes out 10% faster than the 2016 Titan X there would literally be no incentive for people to upgrade who have the 2016 TitanX. The next significant performance boost would be Volta. I think people would be happy that technology is moving forward either way, so it's not something to really get upset over.

Double the VRAM. 24GB.

Also worth noting main advantage of Titan Black was the ability to put it in TCC mode in drivers are achieve that 1:3 DP ratio. Anyone know how that actually worked out of interest ?

"Lots" of things may be more than $1m - but are lots of PC components? I have no idea of the relevance here.

Is $1,200 a new high for a "consumer" video card? Yes. Is it out of the range of PC component pricing? No. See: 6950X, etc.

The Titan Z, 295x2, and Radeon Pro Duo were all in this price bracket or higher (for consumer/prosumer) cards. While completely out of my price range, I'd still say the 1200 USD Titan X Pascal does not seem to be unreasonably priced for what it is and what it will be capable of.

I agree. But $1200 is top money and it's possible we are not receiving the top card. Another variant faster than my $1200 card I wouldn't be happy about it. I've seen the original Titan X owners not sweat it when the 980Ti came out, so maybe it's just me. I'm waiting until Volta because the retail price increase combined with the potential very low resell value (because of lackluster AC and DX12 gains) makes Pascal a loser value wise.

I agree. But $1200 is top money and it's possible we are not receiving the top card. Another variant faster than my $1200 card I wouldn't be happy about it. I've seen the original Titan X owners not sweat it when the 980Ti came out, so maybe it's just me. I'm waiting until Volta because the retail price increase combined with the potential very low resell value (because of lackluster AC and DX12 gains) makes Pascal a loser value wise.

Yeah but people are buying the top card at the top price. Call it what you will but that's how it works when the competition isn't up to snuff. Nvidia can charge whatever they want when they release this new Titan because there are lots of people with lots of disposable income willing to pay just about whatever they ask. Frankly they don't give much of a damn about "value".

What the fuck do your principles mean in relation to running the latest and greatest games at maximum settings, resolution and performance? And why would those principles mean anything to anyone else that doesn't care about these things? I have three 1080P 3D monitors that I bought 6 years ago, when Windows 7 was awesome and a single GTX 780 cannot run new games at the Surround resolution on these monitors in any way shape or form. Who the fuck cares about a GTX 780 in 2016? I'm not trying to be mean or insulting it's just that your point is pointless in a thread about the latest and greatest GPU.

If you're not going to buy a Titan X, why the fuck should I care? It's not a problem that you don't, but you seem to like to make a problem of people liking things you don't.

"Principles", something you obviously lack.

I run BF4 perfectly fine on my GTX780 so don't need to get robbed and buy any $1600.00CAD video card because the experience will be exactly the same. You know a 780 performs about the same as a 970, right? No, you don't. I doubt you even play games such as BF4 anyway and are just an industry whore making out you are a real gamer.

I don't support greedy companies, Someone made the point that decent cars were $20k a while back but now they are 30k and is rationalizing Nvidias price gouging. Well, have people's wages increased in line with the increased prices? No, they fucking haven't!

I'll make do with a Suburu Imprezza while you need a Lambo to drive at the exact same speed limit. One is smart the other isn't.

I don't need no steenkin' 4K monitor either.

Last edited:
I don't care if people spend $1200 on a video card. What I do care about is that it shows nVidia that it's okay to price a card at $1200 and beyond in the future.

"Principles", something you obviously lack.

Benchmarks, something you obviously ignore: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 & GTX 1070 Founders Editions Review: Kicking Off the FinFET Generation. Just the 1080 DESTROYS the 780 in BF4. Your principles don't mean shit when the performance gap is this wide and it's probably a third again wider with the Pascal Titan X. Indeed in constant dollars the Pascal Titan X will have a BETTER performance per dollar ratio than the 780 in this game.

I don't care if people spend $1200 on a video card. What I do care about is that it shows nVidia that it's okay to price a card at $1200 and beyond in the future.
Dont blame NV, blame AMD....

AMD Pro Duo is not much faster than a GTX1080 and costs over twice as much plus it is a dual GPU card. New Titan will STOMP the Pro Duo for $300 less..... Who is to blame here?

In case you haven't noticed, espousing capitalist greed mantra these days just makes people angry. I bet you would even defend sending all the jobs overseas to take advantage of poor people too.

This is not capitalist greed. It's just a fact of how businesses work. I actually happen to be rather strongly liberal registered independent.

Businesses exist for the sole purpose of making profit for their owners/shareholders. In most cases there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Why do people start businesses? Because they want to make money? No one does that shit for fun. If they didn't need/want the money, they'd just dick around and have fun instead. IN some cases where you are talking about holding the poor over a barrel where they can't afford the very basic needs of human existence (food/shelter/basic clothing) it makes sense to argue corporate greed, and I'd probably agree with you. When you are talking about basic needs a whole different set of guiding principles and morals enter the picture. But in a discussion surrounding what really is is a non-essential entertainment product, terms like "corporate greed" have no place.

These are not conservative vs. liberal ideas of how businesses work. This is how businesses and corporations work, full stop. It's the very basic concept of economics. Even more left leaning economists like John Maynard Keynes would likely explain it to you this way. Goods and services are always priced this way in the free market, and even the most liberal people in the U.S. don't typically want to abandon free market principles, they just want to put limitations on the free market, so it cant runaway too much and harm regular people, but those discussions never include price caps on video cards.

If the gas shortages and price caps in the late 70's should have taught us anything it is that whenever you put a price ceiling, or for any reason sell a product at a lower price than people are willing to pay, all you accomplish is shortages of that product. People buy it up faster than it can be produced.

This is not conservative economics vs liberal economics. It's just economics. These are the very fundamentals of how things work. There are many aspects of economic theory which can be classified as right wing vs left wing, but the basics like supply and demand are pure ass science. There is no debate on these. These are fact. Even the goddamned communist economists in the economics department at Umass who painted his office door red taught this.

Dont blame NV, blame AMD....

AMD Pro Duo is not much faster than a GTX1080 and costs over twice as much plus it is a dual GPU card. New Titan will STOMP the Pro Duo for $300 less..... Who is to blame here?

To be fair, I'm not blaming nVidia so much as the people who would pay pretty much any price to have the "top" card. But you make a good point and I agree.

To be fair, I'm not blaming nVidia so much as the people who would pay pretty much any price to have the "top" card. But you make a good point and I agree.
I agree $1200 is ridiculous for a card, but there is a market for everyone. Have you seen how much retards donate to streamers? Some people have more money than brains :)

I agree $1200 is ridiculous for a card, but there is a market for everyone. Have you seen how much retards donate to streamers? Some people have more money than brains :)

Just because someone's priorities are different than yours doesn't mean they are an idiot.

I happen to have a 4k screen.

I happen to absolutely hate SLI and Crossfire

I insist on playing titles with everything turned up, so it looks as good as it can.

I hate playing if minimum framerates ever drop under 60.

The new Pascal Titan X may not be fast enough for 4k based on my requirements, but it is faster than everything else out there, so I am getting it. I will likely still be disappointed with the performance, because it doesn't achieve the above, but right now it is the least bad of the options.

Just because someone's priorities are different than yours doesn't mean they are an idiot.

I happen to have a 4k screen.

I happen to absolutely hate SLI and Crossfire

I insist on playing titles with everything turned up, so it looks as good as it can.

I hate playing if minimum framerates ever drop under 60.

The new Pascal Titan X may not be fast enough for 4k based on my requirements, but it is faster than everything else out there, so I am getting it. I will likely still be disappointed with the performance, because it doesn't achieve the above, but right now it is the least bad of the options.
Did I say someone is an idiot? Did I say that you are an idiot for buying a $1200 GPU? I said "but there is a market for everyone". Just because someone has the money does not mean its a smart buy "but there is a market for everyone". An idiot would be someone purchasing a Pro Duo after the new Titan comes out for $300 more :)

I know everyone spends their money differently. To someone, $1200 on a vid card is a priority. I would rather purchase something else with my $1200. A dirt bike for my kid, or bad ass AR-15 would take precedence. Everyone has their priorities.

With HBM and Volta (on-die memory) I see this as short stop gap. Anyways tend wait a few generations and always wait for ti model. I have 980ti right now and going to skip this generation to save money for something better (more ram than 12). Mind you if you have 4k than might be viable option.

Oh look, over there - a $7000 LCD TV!

MpoWX2D.gif

Did I say someone is an idiot? Did I say that you are an idiot for buying a $1200 GPU? I said "but there is a market for everyone". Just because someone has the money does not mean its a smart buy "but there is a market for everyone". An idiot would be someone purchasing a Pro Duo after the new Titan comes out for $300 more :)

I know everyone spends their money differently. To someone, $1200 on a vid card is a priority. I would rather purchase something else with my $1200. A dirt bike for my kid, or bad ass AR-15 would take precedence. Everyone has their priorities.

Well, when you say things like "some people have more money than brains" it certainly can be interpreted as calling the people willing to spend the money idiots, don't you think? :p

I'm glad you clarified.

Pascal Titan has the same amount of VRAM as Maxwell Titan wtf?? You'd think it would have 16GB just to top previous Titan.

Well, when you say things like "some people have more money than brains" it certainly can be interpreted as calling the people willing to spend the money idiots, don't you think? :p

I'm glad you clarified.
For $600 you can buy a single AIB 1080 with a blower fan. For $1200 you can buy two

For around $660 you can get a single Aib 1080 with a decent hsf, $1320 for two.

You can get a Pitan + waterblock for those price of two 1080s, it's gonna oc better than 1080s in sli and its gonna smoke it when mgpu isn't supported.

Why is no one calling people with dual 1080s idiots?

Why is no one calling people with dual 1080s idiots?

Trust me they do. Really, we go through this horse and pony show every time there's an expensive high end GPU release. I get that people think NVidia is nudging up prices and I agree and the simple reason is that they can because AMD's got nothing now to counter with. Then we go through these ridiculous pseudo-philosophical/political debates about things like the no one should buy a $1200 GPU out of "principle" when those people at the same time indicate that they don't have any need or interest in the level of performance such a $1200 provides.

The only "principle" that's going to make these parts cheaper is competition. Pseudo-philosophical/political "principles" won't do jack shit about it.

Depends on its performance characteristics. If its ridiculously powerful without competition, then nvidia can charge high prices. There will always be customers who will be willing to shell out high cash for top-o-line performance that's justified. If the perf isn't there compared to the rest of the line up, then yeah, it would be foolish.

My question is what is that justified performance line? +25%, 40%, 50%.....?
That is basically what I was trying to find out.

Obviously you are not good at following a parable. I was trying to find out what people thought was the upper limit for a GPU price, the $1,000,000 was hyperbole.

The Titan Z, 295x2, and Radeon Pro Duo were all in this price bracket or higher (for consumer/prosumer) cards. While completely out of my price range, I'd still say the 1200 USD Titan X Pascal does not seem to be unreasonably priced for what it is and what it will be capable of.
I'm glad you brought up the Titan Z. It was actually over twice the price at $3,000 and it was a failure. There is an upper limit to prices.

Trust me they do. Really, we go through this horse and pony show every time there's an expensive high end GPU release. I get that people think NVidia is nudging up prices and I agree and the simple reason is that they can because AMD's got nothing now to counter with. Then we go through these ridiculous pseudo-philosophical/political debates about things like the no one should buy a $1200 GPU out of "principle" when those people at the same time indicate that they don't have any need or interest in the level of performance such a $1200 provides.

The only "principle" that's going to make these parts cheaper is competition. Pseudo-philosophical/political "principles" won't do jack shit about it.
That isn't true, boycotts also work. If no one bought the new Titan X out of "principle" the price would come down.

That isn't true, boycotts also work. If no one bought the new Titan X out of "principle" the price would come down.

This is going to be the single fastest GPU on the market, bar none. The question is just how fast it will be. You were making the point earlier what price is too high? Well the other question is at what level of performance is it worth $1200? If the new Titan X is a consistent 30% or more than the 1080 FE and has the around the same amount of overclocking room or more than the 1080 FE, it's going to sell because that's simply a LOT of power in one card. Plus we're not talking about a large market, this thing will sell I'm guessing in the low tens of thousands over its lifespan. Telling that few PC gamers that spend a lot of money on hardware anyway to boycott this particular part, why not just tell them to stop buying all high end stuff and to by an RX 480 instead. Cause they don't really need to game at 4K at high settings and 60+ FPS. All of that's just a rip off.

[QUOTE="rezerekted, post: 1042439449]

I'll make do with a Suburu Imprezza while you need a Lambo to drive at the exact same speed limit. One is smart the other isn't.[/QUOTE]

My 670 runs BF4 perfectly also. I'm glad that I was "smart" enough not to buy a 780.

And Imprezas are expensive man. You'd have to be dumb to buy one when there are so many other cheaper cars available. I'm showing how smart I am by letting you know how I downgraded from my WRX to my old Cherokee.

Boycotts?

Lulz......This isn't fighting for which restroom I want to piss in. If there is a market for a $1200 card then there is a market. It comes down to price for performance. Personally I think the lesser cards are better bang for the buck. If you want to buy a $1200 brick that will be dated in 24 months go for it. I'll give you $299.99 at that time.

Boycotts?

Lulz......This isn't fighting for which restroom I want to piss in. If there is a market for a $1200 card then there is a market. It comes down to price for performance. Personally I think the lesser cards are better bang for the buck. If you want to buy a $1200 brick that will be dated in 24 months go for it. I'll give you $299.99 at that time.

So where's the better bang for the buck in a SINGLE card that can handle 4K max settings 60+ FPS gaming? Like you say it comes down to performance. If the new Titan can do this in a single card, it's going to sell because there's no other single card that can do it. If you want to wait two years for a part that costs $300 that's fine. Some people don't want to wait two years.

Brother, you read my post all wrong. I'm all for buying what you love. I think this notion of having to have 4k at 60 fps has allot of guys grabbing up components before they really mature. Its like the VR stuff. In 2-3 years the VR stuff will be much better than what you have today and cheaper.

So no, if you want a single card to get your 4k fix this is probably your only option. I think 4k has a ways to go and these manufacturers are slow playing tech they have on the shelf's already. I can wait for 4k and skip all the early adopter nonsense.

Back