nvidia drivers never uninstalls old drivers

poopy

Limp Gawd
Does anyone else have a problem with the nvidia driver installation not finding and uninstalling previously loaded drivers?

Does anyone else have a problem with the nvidia driver installation not finding and uninstalling previously loaded drivers?

are you taking about the uninstall of the driver from Add/Remove Programs, or Software and Programs (in Vista), or are you trying to install the new drivers over top of the old ones expecting it to uninstall the old ones for you?

I've never had any issues installing a driver update with nVidia over an old one.

Though, if I downgrade back a version, I go through the driver cleaner mess.

I've never had any issues installing a driver update with nVidia over an old one.

Though, if I downgrade back a version, I go through the driver cleaner mess.

I never have either, but after all I've read here I figured I'd use driver cleaner. For nine dollars it is worth it. Whenever I've swapped drivers I've never had a problem while using it.

Nvidia specificly tells you to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones. I just do it in safe mode and use driver cleaner for the "Extra" attention :p

Nvidia specificly tells you to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new ones. I just do it in safe mode and use driver cleaner for the "Extra" attention :p

I never use to do this, but once I saw how much stuff is listed under nvidia in driver cleaner I will always use it. Its just extra caution and less risk of driver errors.

Always uninstall. Don't even think of not doing it. It can cause more headaches than its worth!

Nvidia's knowledgebase page Windows Vista ForceWare Driver Installation Instructions says "If previous drivers were installed on your computer, the NVIDIA Setup program will detect these drivers and prompt you to uninstall the drivers. Click "Yes" to complete this process and uninstall previous drivers."

The first couple of driver updates I did for my 8800gts, I expected nvidia's driver installer to prompt me to remove the old drivers, but instead it goes right ahead installing the new drivers over the old ones. Now I manually uninstall with the control panel. I just wondered if this was something to do with my pc, or if it was widespread.

I uninstall, boot into safe mode and delete the Nvidia folder created at old driver install, then install the new driver while still in safe mode. Yet to have a problem or need "driver cleaner".

I did the same when running a ATi card.

I never really had a problem with just installing over every nvidia driver. And I've installed almost every single beta and official Vista driver they've released.

I never really had a problem with just installing over every nvidia driver. And I've installed almost every single beta and official Vista driver they've released.
Me too, I've always installed over previous versions, since my first GeForce3, and I've never had any problems (98/XP).

I uninstall first, boot into safe mode to get rid of the excess crap the old drivers left behind, then install the new drivers fresh. Works well enough for me so that's the method I usually use though in the past I have installed new drivers directly over the old ones without any problems.

Back