NVIDIA Fakes Fermi Boards at GPU Conference

I don't know I mean when you tell people, "yeah, this is the real deal, it's not fake" then someone proves it's fake and you go, "oh, ok, no, no, see, this was actually a mock-up, we just have the real thing in the back, that's all, but you don't wanna see that, it's got wires sticking out..." well that just screams bullshit.

If there's something wrong and they have problems making these boards, they should say so or just delay the launch instead of misleading people. Don't have a working video card? Don't fucking show a video card to the public.

Let's face it,Charlie lost all credibility long ago,like the boy who cried wolf one time too many.It's what happens when you let a personal vendetta take the place of professionalism.

People are attacking the messenger (Charlie) because he's dishonestly making this totally normal practice out to be some type of nefarious, dishonest scheme intended to trick us all (eeek!).
You think it's normal for a CEO to wave around a products and say "this puppy is our latest and greatest" when in fact it's nothing more than a prop?

I don't know I mean when you tell people, "yeah, this is the real deal, it's not fake" then someone proves it's fake and you go, "oh, ok, no, no, see, this was actually a mock-up, we just have the real thing in the back, that's all, but you don't wanna see that, it's got wires sticking out..." well that just screams bullshit.
This. Puts the credibility of anything Nvidia is telling us in question. So the actual working unit is a birds nest, but have no fear, they will launch by the end of the year? The whole thing just doesn't add up.

[unserious] This is like a circle jerk, we're all jacking eachother off having fun and in a few months when GF100 is out we'll all pretend like none of this happened. Bookmark this and read it again in a few months, you'll see how gay it is :p.

Guys, the only Fermi demo was the double precision n-body simulation. The rest were all run on current products.

The board held up by the CEO was a mock-up, just to give people a visual to take away with them. Big deal.

The important part is that it exists and was there, running for people to see double-precision performance.

Seems pretty obvious that with the ATI launch of the 5800 series nVidia is scrambling for attention. The release of the Fermi white paper sounded like " oh we can do that too " and now the need to show the physical existance of 'something'. For gods sake nVidia, suck it up, finish an ass kicking GPU, then throw your party. Paper launches are so last year.

sorry, had to

seriously guys, they made it obvious it was not here yet

Guys, sorry, but you're clueless. This wasn't a launch of a product.. they launched the architecture to get people excited about what was coming down the pipe. Is that a crime?

They haven't talked about GeForce specifically because they refuse to paper-launch.

They could have at least got a 5870 and relabeled the cooler to make it look more official. The single power connector is a dead give away on this mock up. Now in days all the highest end cards have 2 pci-e connectors minimum.

Grr it has 2 PCIE connectors.. one is on the side one is on the top, in typical Tesla card fashion. It's NOT A GEFORCE.

Bluestorm why in the world are you defending them. Just when people think nvidia couldnt sink to a new low they do.They as a company should know better than to dupe the public, but they consistently do it!!!!

Bluestorm why in the world are you defending them. Just when people think nvidia couldnt sink to a new low they do.They as a company should know better than to dupe the public, but they consistently do it!!!!

Sigh. I don't really care, when the GT300 launches if its faster, then I'm buying it.

§kynet;1034703140 said:
You think it's normal for a CEO to wave around a products and say "this puppy is our latest and greatest" when in fact it's nothing more than a prop?

This. Puts the credibility of anything Nvidia is telling us in question. So the actual working unit is a birds nest, but have no fear, they will launch by the end of the year? The whole thing just doesn't add up.
If there's video of him holding the card and definitely referring to the card in his hand as "not fake" and actually saying those words, you might barely have a point. But at this point (and I don't really give enough of a sh*t to investigate/confirm), I don't think such a thing took place. And if it did, I'd barely muster the interest to call it a minor PR slip-up by a high-ranking company officer who probably doesn't bother himself to read the fine print. I certainly wouldn't get so butt-hurt as to vent my indignant rage about how I'm being "lied to" or some such nonsense.

As others have said, this was the launch of an architecture, not the card. So, again, people need to just relax.

And yes, the use of non-genuine props is completely normal.

People are way too excited these days about inventing grievances and feeling wronged.

And yes, the use of non-genuine props is completely normal.
Nvidia claims what was shown is an "engineering prototype". Prototype usually means working, not a hollow shell like the TVs you see at Ikea. What was shown is a mockup, a prop, not a prototype.

That so called launch smacks of many wrongs. lesson to other companys not to do when giving a presentation.

§kynet;1034703778 said:
Nvidia claims what was shown is an "engineering prototype". Prototype usually means working, not a hollow shell like the TVs you see at Ikea. What was shown is a mockup, a prop, not a prototype.
Well then, BURN HIM! This is outrageous! How could they!?! They held up something that we thought was something when it wasn't the thing that we thought!?! And I just went out to buy one because I'm an idiot and if he's holding one, so they must be ready and available! This is TERRIBLE! THOSE FILTHY LIARS! I HATE THEM SO MUCH!

There, everyone happy now?

Well then, BURN HIM! This is outrageous! How could they!?! They held up something that we thought was something when it wasn't the thing that we thought!?! And I just went out to buy one because I'm an idiot and if he's holding one, so they must be ready and available! This is TERRIBLE! THOSE FILTHY LIARS! I HATE THEM SO MUCH!

There, everyone happy now?

I would be happy with a public apology!;)

I love how everybody just attacks Charlie instead of attacking his article. Yeah, he's kind of a jackass, but in this case the parts about the board being a bad mock-up were undeniably true. Ad-hominem attacks against Charlie don't automatically invalidate everything he writes.

Nvidia showed this "Fermi" card, tried to pass it off as the real deal ("this puppy here, is Fermi"), claimed it was real when specifically asked about it. . . and then finally confirmed it was a fake when they could no longer deny it.

The best part is now Nvidia says "oh yeah well uh, we have a real working one backstage somewhere, but we're not gonna show anybody."

well I might have believed that actually except I believe some one (kyle?) said the demos were on current hardware. They by all accounts do have some working silicon but engineering samples are often pretty ugly and not put out for display. I would imagine that the first couple of lots were awful (I am still wondering if that isn't were that 2% BS came from) and that they don't have anything to do a production model or the like

well I might have believed that actually except I believe some one (kyle?) said the demos were on current hardware. They by all accounts do have some working silicon but engineering samples are often pretty ugly and not put out for display. I would imagine that the first couple of lots were awful (I am still wondering if that isn't were that 2% BS came from) and that they don't have anything to do a production model or the like

Point is they lost credability. we know have to believe after those shens that itrealy was working silicon:confused:

I would be happy with a public apology!;)
Purefun65, this isn't directed at you. I see the smilie. =)

Maybe it's just me, but I always cringe when someone feels entitled to an apology. I liked it better when people were more apt to say: "What? Apologize? To me? Don't worry about it. It's not that big a deal."

People wandering around demanding apologies all the time tend to be the same people always talking about how someone or something "disrespected" them. Which is another aspect of society/culture today I loathe. The focus on the self. Our self-esteem culture has gotten way out of hand.

But, uh, that's sorta far afield.

But whatever guys, go ahead and feel wronged and betrayed. Wait for nvidia to apologize to the mighty "you."

I still think 99% of people would look at those pictures and say: "Wow, that might be a mock-up" would also then say "I don't really care enough to prove it because it's no big deal even if it is." It takes someone like Charlie to make this a "story" or "news" in any way. But, of course, he does it because there are always the folks who will gobble it up and get predictably outraged over nothing.

I as a consumer dont feel confident with a smoke and mirrors presentation. WHAT IS REAL AND WHAT IS AN ILLUSION? :rolleyes:

Purefun65, this isn't directed at you. I see the smilie. =)

Maybe it's just me, but I always cringe when someone feels entitled to an apology. I liked it better when people were more apt to say: "What? Apologize? To me? Don't worry about it. It's not that big a deal."

People wandering around demanding apologies all the time tend to be the same people always talking about how someone or something "disrespected" them. Which is another aspect of society/culture today I loathe. The focus on the self. Our self-esteem culture has gotten way out of hand.

But, uh, that's sorta far afield.

But whatever guys, go ahead and feel wronged and betrayed. Wait for nvidia to apologize to the mighty "you."

I still think 99% of people would look at those pictures and say: "Wow, that might be a mock-up" would also then say "I don't really care enough to prove it because it's no big deal even if it is." It takes someone like Charlie to make this a "story" or "news" in any way. But, of course, he does it because there are always the folks who will gobble it up and get predictably outraged over nothing.
I am dissapointed that a billion dollar company would present their product in such a manner!

If i was a sitting member of the board of directors,I would ask for an emergency meeeting. I would want answers as to what the hell they were thinking?

This little puppy right here, thats fermi. thats a direct quote from jen! he needs a good talking to!

The whole point of this presentaion was to create buzz about their new card. They most certainly did it but in a very negative way. NVIDIA FUCKED UP

This little puppy right here, thats fermi. thats a direct quote from jen! he needs a good talking to!
What Fermi is is somewhat open for debate. Fermi is an architecture, a technological concept, a GPU and an array of cards based on that GPU. It's not just one thing.

Typically, the "code name" refers to more than just the GPU or just the card. The code name really revolves around the project itself, the technology behind it and the initiative to produce products based on that technology. It's the same deal with DAAMIT.

So, Jen holds up a card and says "this is Fermi". Is he wrong? Are we really in a position to claim that he was lying because the card itself wasn't functional? How does that work?

NVIDIA has nothing as of now. This card does not exist (yet). I cant wait too see the driver problems!

so no new card til 2010 from what Im looking at. Maybe christmas day but unlikely. I've asked a couple times what the big hate is for charlie no oe seems to have anything specific on him. Looks to that hes right Nvidia doesn't have shit to present this year. Kinda sucks, because I like nvidia more. I like their design better.

so no new card til 2010 from what Im looking at. Maybe christmas day but unlikely. I've asked a couple times what the big hate is for charlie no oe seems to have anything specific on him. Looks to that hes right Nvidia doesn't have shit to present this year. Kinda sucks, because I like nvidia more. I like their design better.

The thing about charlie is no one really knows why he hates them, because he wont publicly say why. He is anti NVIDIA and NVIDIA just made him look like a credible journalist with their shens!

If I remember right, one window of the side-by-side n-body double precision demo in the keynote was running on Fermi silicon.

And im chris angel and i can make you believe I can levitate:D I with kyle on this one!

oh u got me! this presentation as of now has been proven that some of it was false. care to wager that the whole thing was false?:)

Because you guys are being completely irrational. Yes the card was a mock (why that matters I'm not sure..) but the card running the n-body simulation in the keynote was very real. I know this for a fact, and I'm sorry that even Kyle, who was there, can't accept this.

There's no other hardware out there that could've even run that n-body simulation that fast (without having a datacenter handy at the hotel), so I don't get why people are so skeptical.

If they were so eager to show off the GPU to keep people from buying a 5800 why would they bother presenting it in such a compute-centric fashion, where the 5800's are no competition?

Well if CHARLIE says something bad about Nvidia you can certainly take that to the bank as God's honest truth. I mean obviously Charlie isn't known for his irrational and rabid bias or anything.

One thing I find very funny is how [H] posted every press release about 5800's and Eyefinity that AMD fed them as news on the frontpage. But when NVIDIA showed their next gen arch it was kept in this forum, where Kyle proceeded to shit on all the demos and now believes in the conspiracy theory that Fermi was not really running there.

Only when this mock card info came out did it make the frontpage. Apparently the first new ground-up architecture from NVIDIA wasn't headline-worthy.

Really guys? Really?

By the way, Charlie didn't figure the mock card thing out. People on forums did. Forums like Beyond3D. Charlie simply took their information and posted it.

One thing I find very funny is how [H] posted every press release about 5800's and Eyefinity that AMD fed them as news on the frontpage. But when NVIDIA showed their next gen arch it was kept in this forum, where Kyle proceeded to shit on all the demos and now believes in the conspiracy theory that Fermi was not really running there.

Only when this mock card info came out did it make the frontpage. Apparently the first new ground-up architecture from NVIDIA wasn't headline-worthy.

Really guys? Really?

By the way, Charlie didn't figure the mock card thing out. People on forums did. Forums like Beyond3D. Charlie simply took their information and posted it.

I meant the first new ground up arch within the last few years.

Really guys? Really?

So, what are you saying? Are you saying they are AMD fanb01s or something?

The thing about charlie is no one really knows why he hates them, because he wont publicly say why. He is anti NVIDIA and NVIDIA just made him look like a credible journalist with their shens!

biased media is hardly new here, many people consider H to be be anti AMD due to the reviews. for that matter go take a look fudzillia. they just did several highly pro Nvidia writes for no really apparent reason other then they needed some good press. (maybe to piss of charlie?)

and sadly that is very true, charlie usually gets to bash Nvidia with the ammo they give him

Really guys? Really?

I think [H] isn't really anti- or pro Nvidia, but you can only do so much nail biting waiting for nvidia to come out with something worth reviewing. Kyle did review the new Sli chipset with high hopes and 4 GTX285's in quadcore I believe. I mean its not [H] its been universally shown you can get the performance out of a 4890 as a GTX275 or 285 in some cases for 50-100$ less I say that and I am an nvidia fanboy. I'm really annoyerd everytime a new game review comes out and ATI hasnt even got working drivers for it yet, but even then it's hard not to be impressed.

Look back through the posts at the people who criticize Charlie the most and say showing a protype is no biggie.........what do the majority of them have for a vid card in their sig? Bias? Certainly not.....only Charlie has bias here. :rolleyes:

Good piece of news / ramblings / whatevers. Post more! This kind of stuff keeps things exciting!

Back