roflcopter said:
Thnx. But nVidia is about to release their newest driver: 81.94
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.94.html

-Adds support for GeForce 7800 GTX 512 and GeForce 6800 GS
-Improved performance for Quake 4
-Improved performance and compatibility for Call of Duty 2
-Mixed vendor support for NVIDIA SLI.
-TV-Out/HD-out support for NVIDIA SLI.
-Added support for VSync on Direct3D games when running NVIDIA SLI.
-Performance enhancements for dual-core CPUs.
-PureVideo high definition MPEG-2 de-interlacing support.
-Usability enhancements when connecting to an HDTV.
-Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.0 support
-For a full list of fixed and known issues please view the Release Notes.

Sorry if this is slightly offtopic

wow, that's awesome, well, there ya go

Jasonx82 said:
I wonder if my 480 neopower will handle my 7800GTX 512 SLI System?

I've got a dead one here that says it won't. Was in my wife's machine running only a P4 3.4 northwood, a single 6800U, and 3 HDs. That model is an overrated undercooled POS unlike most other antecs which are great, but damn they are quiet! :) Mine is dead quiet now, repalced with a PCP&C.

On topic, bit the bullet on two gouged BFGs, and hoping vsync is finally fixed in the new drivers. I was previously holding out, but I am confident ATI is going to have crossfire growing pains as well. That and I can't wait till January, but I sure am glad ATI had me waiting on the x1800xt or I would've bought 256MB 7800s months ago.

That review was [H]ard. Great information that I can actually use about the actual gameplay experience of these high end cards. One of the best video card reviews I've read. Great job guys.

mbmadness said:
That review was [H]ard. Great information that I can actually use about the actual gameplay experience of these high end cards. One of the best video card reviews I've read. Great job guys.

Thanks, You are Welcome :)

Apple740 said:
You don't have to rename the .exe file, disabling Cat AI (=disabling all optimizations) does the job too.
AT LEAST [H] could have mentioned this, and maybe added some additional graphs.
You could also turn off AA and run it at 640x480 this would also give a boost. I have not read any explantion for the performance increase of renaming fear.exe other than that it goes around the ATI profile for the game (like turning off AI) and there by drops the IQ.

I think the true performance of this card is still unknown since it had to be CPU limited in this review. They should have used an FX-57. I am pretty sure this would have opened up the performance difference between the 256MB version.

insano70 said:
I think the true performance of this card is still unknown since it had to be CPU limited in this review. They should have used an FX-57. I am pretty sure this would have opened up the performance difference between the 256MB version.
Tech Report used a X2 4800+, the NVIDIA drivers support dual core. I was too lazy to see if this helped over the FX-55.

I think's [H]ard's goal here is to do gameplay evaluations. I think the FX-55 is (somehow) closer in line to what most people who would buy this card actually have. The most playable settings should stick throughout the high-end A64/P4 line.

PRIME1 said:
You could also turn off AA and run it at 640x480 this would also give a boost.
rofl0an.gif

PRIME1, you're something else... :p

None of the games we evaluated showed the Radeon X1800 XT performing at a higher level than the 512 MB GeForce 7800 GTX

In EverQuest II, we did try to enable “High Quality,” but the performance hit was too great on the 512 MB GeForce 7800 GTX at 1600x1200. We found it better to simply drop to the “Balanced” quality setting and enable AA to help smooth out the jaggy edges.

Our EverQuest II game play evaluation results are interesting because the Radeon X1800 XT 512 MB video card is playable at 1600x1200 with 2X AD AA and High Quality 16XAF

The difference between Balanced Mode and High Quality is more then just AA and AF settings. Things like shadows, number of vegetation, type of water reflection, number of spell particles and so on is directly affected by this setting. So even though the 7800 GTX was able to play the balanced settings with higher aa and af settings better then the X1800 XT, the fact that the X1800 XT was able to play in High Quality mode indicates that you would have a more immersive experience with the X1800 then the 7800GTX. I’ve been playing EQ2 for a year now and the difference between settings is very noticeable in the terms of how many things you see, at what distance they get rendered and on how many different characters.

bountycode said:
the fact that the X1800 XT was able to play in High Quality mode

it wasn't though

I think you might be confusing the "High Quality AF" with the in-game's High Quality mode. High Quality AF is ATI's new AF filtering mode that does not use angle dependency, when we said High Quality AF we meant High Quality AF, not High Quality in-game EQ2 settings.

WOOHOO My BFG 7800GTX 512 Just shipped...!!!! :D :eek: :D from Monarchcomputer.com

Jasonx82 said:
I wonder if my 480 neopower will handle my 7800GTX 512 SLI System?

I would suggest a solid 550 at the least, especially if you run your box 24/7.

an OCZ Powerstream 520 will be plenty for this card. I dont think PCP&C is necessary, although its not a bad idea. But if you wanna save some dough, go for the OCZ.

Aah this is all as the mightly Lord Exodia Predicted. Speed, performance, price, etc.. Price will drop to 599.99 side by side with the X1800XT by or before xmas too. Hopefully my crystal ball wont fail me now. :D

LOL all of this Information i brought to you on FRIDAY night then the Forum goes down, Was Kyle mad i beat him to the Punch?

Are all vendors packing CoD2 in with their cards? or is it just some, and just at launch?

Wow... 1600x1200 4xAA, Something I would so love to be doing!

I had originally planned to purchase a 6800GT when I go to do my upgrades early next year. Although I would love to, I don't see myself spending 700 on a video card myself. Although reading the review, its definitely a nice card.

However, I am contemplating purchasing a 256MB 7800GTX, I'm not fully sure. My mind changes all the time with the setup I have planned at newegg.

Brent_Justice said:
it wasn't though

I think you might be confusing the "High Quality AF" with the in-game's High Quality mode. High Quality AF is ATI's new AF filtering mode that does not use angle dependency, when we said High Quality AF we meant High Quality AF, not High Quality in-game EQ2 settings.

Ahh that makes more sense. :eek: Thanks for clearing that up. Great review! btw.

Anyone have odds that it will drop to $599 or less before late November on eVGA's site? $699 is too much for me to use my step-up LOL :(.

i have no need for a 2 slot cooling solution.

with 2 of these in SLI nvidia expects you to have zero expansion cards.

anasazi said:
i have no need for a 2 slot cooling solution.

with 2 of these in SLI nvidia expects you to have zero expansion cards.

Then for you my friend, a 256mb GTX is the card to go with. If you intend to roll with the big boys then dual slot it is. Keep in mind this performance cannot be achieved with EITHER Ati or Nvidia unless you go dual slot. You just can't cool this much power with a single slot cooler. At least not in a cost effective way. But the fastest single slot cooled GPU for gaming is the 7800GTX.

Apple740 said:
You don't have to rename the .exe file, disabling Cat AI (=disabling all optimizations) does the job too.
AT LEAST [H] could have mentioned this, and maybe added some additional graphs.
Why should they? They test it how it runs out of the box, and that is how you test it, you don't make special arrangements for one card.

Agreed Banko, i must admit i am way more impressed with these cards over the 7800GTX 256 in sli that i was running. You wouldnt think so but i love the, hehe, i have been gaming no-stop, even gonna go back and play some older games and see what they look like with everything i can possible turn on in the video options.

Tytanium said:
Wow. I'd rather build a good mid to high end gaming computer for $1500 than get 2 of those...

Why did you guys use the 5.11 betas? The official catalysts have been available for several days now.

They weren't available when we did the evaluation.

Brent_Justice said:
They weren't available when we did the evaluation.
Ah...have you tested the X1K series on betas vs official drivers? Did anything change at all between the releases?

Why does HardOCP always pimp their sponsors (esp. BFG) in just about every video review? Take for example this line:

In fact, the BFGTech GeForce 7800 GTX OC 512 MB video card will be factory clocked at a 580MHz GPU and 1.75GHz memory frequency. Therefore, we can definitely expect models that are clocked faster than NVIDIA’s reference models, which will allow for even more performance than we showed you here today!

That sounded like a cheap advertisement to me at the end of a decent review. What came to my mind was Kyle/Brent holding up a BFG 512 7800 GTX in their hand (like those cheap product commercials), reading the statement above, queue sparkly smile and music. :p

Anyway, I'm not impressed with this card overall. It's a hell of a performer but the price of admission is too high to justify it (esp. in SLI). The X1800XT at $599 is a much better deal since it gives nearly the same performance and better IQ. It's also cheaper than the $750 GTX's being sold right now. If I didn't already have a 7800 GTX and was in the market for a card right now, I'd still pick the X1800XT over the 512 GTX.

Pretty badass card, imagine if they used a 90nm process on the gpu. I doubt we'll see the price of this card go down much, if at all due to the supposedly low quantities produced. See inquirer article: . here

5150Joker said:
Why does HardOCP always pimp their sponsors (esp. BFG) in just about every video review? Take for example this line:

In fact, the BFGTech GeForce 7800 GTX OC 512 MB video card will be factory clocked at a 580MHz GPU and 1.75GHz memory frequency. Therefore, we can definitely expect models that are clocked faster than NVIDIA’s reference models, which will allow for even more performance than we showed you here today!

That sounded like a cheap advertisement to me at the end of a decent review. What came to my mind was Kyle/Brent holding up a BFG 512 7800 GTX in their hand (like those cheap product commercials), reading the statement above, queue sparkly smile and music. :p

That statement was made because at the time that was the only card I had confirmation on in regards to what the clock speeds would be, and they were very high compared to the NV reference clocks, so I felt it worthy to make note of it as a point to show that there will be cards coming out clocked a lot higher than what the NV reference clocks are so some cards will actually show faster performance than we showed in the preview, it was good information to publish.

Brent_Justice said:
That statement was made because at the time that was the only card I had confirmation on in regards to what the clock speeds would be, and they were very high compared to the NV reference clocks, so I felt it worthy to make note of it as a point to show that there will be cards coming out clocked a lot higher than what the NV reference clocks are so some cards will actually show faster performance than we showed in the preview, it was good information to publish.

Fair enough. Since you mentioned higher clocks, what about price premium for them? BTW Brent look what one reader at Anandtech said to me in a reply:

5150Joker STOP looking at that HardOCP review .. “ALL” the other reviews show the 7800GTX 512mb Obliteratiing the X1800XT in all game benchmarks

HardOCP are wrong … all the Zillion other sites are right .. in this situation the majority WINS … PS: HardOCP are ATI !!!!!!s! Ive seen countless reviews that are completely different from other websites … they are full of crap!

lol..

Brent_Justice said:
I would agree. Many people were talking about new XT's with a higher clock. However, the reference card tested had a rather modest clock and many vendors will be releasing GTX512's with a higher clock. BFG may just have the highest, and is definitely worth noting.

the supercar of the Video card arena : 7800GTX 512 Mb!!!!

IMHO, it is out of reach to all but the financially privilaged for us consumers .... waaay too expensive man.... and with ATI having crap poo 3D results , price drops are nowere to be seen...haiz.....=.=

Back