NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Video Card Preview @ [H]

Brahmzy: With all due respect, did you read the text at all or just look at pictures? It explains this was a comparison of what I have vs. looking at upgrading to the 980Ti.

Araxie: Not applicable meant that none of the 980Ti documentation I found specified a different Cuda clock vs. "base clock" unlike the specs of the 580 did show differences in those clock rates. So I put "not applicable ASSUMING that on the 980Ti the base clock and the Cuda clock rates were the same.

misterbobby: I said that I was no expert and some of those numbers would, in fact, NOT be doubled when in SLI. And thank you for clarifying that.

I said the reason for all this, for me personally, was to see if there is justification, at this point to invest in a new card. Obviously, I know now that is true. A single card 980Ti is going to be a very good upgrade from my current 580 SLI that will last a long time even on it's own, at which point the second once could be added to stretch the longevity of the rig that much further. That, in fact, was the point of the chart and of the questions.

Are you using vsync or some framerate cap as there is no way you would not pull over 540 watts at the wall if those gpus are under full load. Heck my dinky system can hit almost 350 watts at the wall.

No vsync, I have an Asus ROG Swift and push for high fps as often as possible.

Maybe my meter isn't reading the correct watts. I ran heaven a couple of times, but didn't really watch the meter to see what it was pulling. I may give that a try after work today and see what it shows. Need to try out 3Dmark also.

Not sure why I would want to run prime95+heaven..... Maybe to see how much power I can possibly draw at once? If that was the point, I would need to add some HDD/SSD benchmarks to all my drives also, just to get everything running wide open. I bet my HX850 would incinerate to a pile of dust :)

My temps do seem to run lower than most, even with my 780s they always stayed cooler than average. My case has pretty good airflow though, and I do keep it pretty chilly in my house. I have my GPU fans set to not go over 60% after that the fan noise becomes annoying.

Edit: Running 3DMark I was able to get up to 707watts from the wall. Cards were boosting to 1341mhz. It may be getting about time for a new PSU. But for now, it's time to play with some overclocking!

Last edited:
What is the point of that silly comparison chart?

I think he misunderstood my 'hand-wringing' comment.

When it's an AMD/Radeon part that rivals anything on the market, everyone frets over power consumption like little old ladies. See 290x.

NVIDIA comes out with a card at comparable power consumption and similar performance increase over 290x...and none of this feinting in the aisles takes place...

So yes, I think it's a valid question: "Where is the hand-wringing?"

It's when you start increasing volts that power usage goes nuts. The whole linear with freq and ^2 with voltage power increase.

I bet if you OV and OC a 980ti you can surpass 375W per card. Reference cooler can't keep up though. The CPU will use peanuts compared to OV/OC'd GPUs.

You also can't compare specs of different architecture GPUs (or CPUs). They do a different amount of work per core per clock. Best looking at a synthetic like firestrike just to ball park it and then use common sense for things like VRAM. The other guys pretty much nailed it that a 980ti will be ~2x faster as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Back