NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti cpu question

mrblack

n00b
i have a g3258 cpu pc and i see that the gtx 1050 ti should be out soon would it work well as its its supposed to be on par with a gtx 960 i don't have a graphics card yet so that's why i ask

You'll be OK for the most part.

There's been an increasing number of games that require more than 2 threads to run.

Just be sure to do your research on the minimum CPU thread requirements for a game before buying. DSOGaming does a good job reporting on this with new releases, in their performance analyses.

Or you can always upgrade to a used i3 or i5.

Should be just fine for now. Make sure you OC that CPU to 4.2ghz or higher to get the best benefit.

Some games will definitely take a hit from only being a dual core, however.

that's great I'm definitely going too overclock the cpu to 4.2ghz not too sure how too yet its just a low cost pc so i can jump from console gaming also i want to emulate too then when the new cpus come out i will see about building something better

One of the 1050 or 1060 cards would be fine.
It would be beyond stupid to spend 250 bucks on a gtx 1060 to pair with a dual core Pentium. Nearly any game where you would that much gpu power would really need an i3 at the very least and preferably four real cores.

You will be fine for some games with 1050ti, but not with some modern AAA titles. However if you upgrade to i3 cpu compatible with your mb (i.e. any haswell cpu) - it will be able to fully utilize your graphics card and provide smooth experience. You don't need to step up to i5 with 1050ti though. You can sell your g3258 for $35-40 and add another $70 and be able to enjoy ANY modern game.

I picked up an rx 460 4gb I read the 1050 will be likely be more expensive anyway it should be ok with the g3258 Hopefully if I can get a locked 30 on most games I'll be happy with that for the time being

get an I 3 or an I5

those Pentium dual cores do overclock well but ..that will only last so long ..it is after all a $ 70 CPU why build a cheap Dual core system at this point ?

then try to add decent vid card ..yes upgrade the CPU ..FIRST

some games already wont run on a dual core ..so yea i'd spend a few bucks an get a haswell i 3 or cheap i 5 ..first ..if you already have a GTX 960

i have a g3258 cpu pc and i see that the gtx 1050 ti should be out soon would it work well as its its supposed to be on par with a gtx 960 i don't have a graphics card yet so that's why i ask
I have the same CPU (rig in sig) and am looking at the same GPU (the GTX550Ti and Intel HD4400 would therefore BOTH be replaced/superseded), as a GTX1050Ti would more than adequately replace both in the games that I have. However, unless a game is proven to actually USE multiple CPU-dedicated threads (or you don't have any such games), upgrade the GPU (not CPU) first, especially if you plan on staying with 1080p or lower. (I have no plans on going to 4K display wise, as the cost of a quality implementation is still way too high (still over $400USD).) Also, don't even THINK about a Haswell i3; if you have an LGA1150 motherboard, an i5K makes more sense, if you REALLY need support for multiple CPU threads.

I used the G3258 with a GTX 750 Ti for a long time. Worked just fine for many titles. Mainly non-AAA titles, though. This is at 1440p as well. CSGO with MSAA 2x and some details 1 step down from max was 100+ fps still. League was fine, Dota 2 was 60-70fps depending on settings/how busy it was. I even managed 30-40fps in DOOM on lowest settings at full render scale at 1440p.

If I was running at 1080p I imagine I would've been a lot better off. I wouldn't go anything higher than a GTX 960/GTX 1050 Ti or RX 470, though with that CPU. But yes, agreed, 4690k is the next option (which is what I changed to). Along with a 1070 :p

Back