Nvidia Hints at coming GTX280 GX2

i would love to see SLI on intel chipsets, but without the extra chip, but if intel doesn't let them build a chipset for nehalem they are stuffed anyway...

i would really like to see a single PCB GX2 card, as it would probably run a lot cooler, as well as be quieter too

Isn't it the common knowledge that nVidia has decided to ignore the multi-GPU design?
They probably have changed their tune by now thanks to the ATI's success in the field but you can't expect them to develop the tech overnight.
All these rumors about the GTX280 GX2 is a pipe dream. At least near term.

I'd like to see them come up with an effective multi-GPU card even if they have to blatantly rip off AMD/ATI's design.

Whatever keeps this kickass competition between the two going.

And while they're at it, Nvidia should also get SLI up there where Crossfire is. I mean damn, comon atleast get multi monitors working.

Meh Veng sounds like a Nvidia "fan"atic
AR
Not saying which is better, but ur way of comparing them doesn't put them on a leveled play ground. First RETAIL and then USED then u Compare AR and non AR.
Go Glorify ur Card Fantastic !!! No one said the 280 is a bad card or not cheap.
But the way you compare them makes no sense.

I have never compared used prices. I never compared retail. I compared the price you could actually find the card at instock. Bestbuy isn't in stock.

The aren't rebates yet on the 4870x2s. That's not the 280s fault.

Yep, going and looking up at newegg, and zipzoomfly, and other e-tailers what price you could get for a card makes absolutely no sense. :rolleyes:

AR's helped me save about $300 on my latest rig, I have no problem comparing them either.

Don't forget, when [H] looks for cards to match up to other cards they compare prices and do take AR prices into consideration as well.

I currently have no problems with either multi-gpu, and am currently loving Crossfire.

I see no problem with Veng's comparisson. I currently like both set ups, but I do hate Nvidia chipsets, and never plan on going back ... oh how I miss Nforce2...

X58 will allow SLI on an intel chipset (and probably do it a lot cheaper than Skulltrail).

AR's helped me save about $300 on my latest rig, I have no problem comparing them either.

Don't forget, when [H] looks for cards to match up to other cards they compare prices and do take AR prices into consideration as well.

I currently have no problems with either multi-gpu, and am currently loving Crossfire.

I see no problem with Veng's comparisson. I currently like both set ups, but I do hate Nvidia chipsets, and never plan on going back ... oh how I miss Nforce2...

CO-SIGN. I am done with Nvidia chipsets

eggads.. the size the heat ..the juice you need to power this up .. we're all gonna need a different case , PSU , and leaf blower, in our next uber PC. this race is getting ridiculous :rolleyes: Im gonna start hanging out with the silent/MATX crowd

C'mon people, you worship the guys running Tri-Sli 280s, then yack about how a die-shrunk GX2 is out of this world and would require more power and cooling than the laws of thermodynamics allow. Get a grip of yourselves.

A 55nm GX2 would require less power and generate less heat than a dual-SLI 280 setup. Since I bet at stock fan profiles the 280 never gets up to high fan speeds, cooling is probably just fine especially if clocking lowered a bit, allowing a small reduction in voltage.

C'mon people, you worship the guys running Tri-Sli 280s, then yack about how a die-shrunk GX2 is out of this world and would require more power and cooling than the laws of thermodynamics allow. Get a grip of yourselves.

A 55nm GX2 would require less power and generate less heat than a dual-SLI 280 setup. Since I bet at stock fan profiles the 280 never gets up to high fan speeds, cooling is probably just fine especially if clocking lowered a bit, allowing a small reduction in voltage.

latest rumors has been pointing to a major step up in the shader clocks, so we may see a higher thermal envelope. Besides, your talking about twice the heat output through a dual slot cooler. I don't think it's possible to put 500 watts out of a dual slot cooler. Not on air anyways. Underclocked 260GX2? they might get away with that.

When is this x58 coming out? If it's supports crossfire and sli I'm definitely in for one. I'm guessing this thing will command a nice hefty $400 premium on initial launch though.

When is this x58 coming out? If it's supports crossfire and sli I'm definitely in for one. I'm guessing this thing will command a nice hefty $400 premium on initial launch though.

As I understand it the X58 chipset will be lauched with Nehalem and will support the new socket type (LGA1366).

Asus is going to have a version of that X58 with the nForce 200 chip that will do both CF and SLI to be released a bit later than the CF only version. Will be some time in Q4, perhaps even Q1 2009 for the CF/SLI version.

Why not just spring for a skulltrain?

Why not just spring for a skulltrain?

I think you mean Skulltrail. There are several issues with that plan. Let's forget about the fact that the board is a dual socket motherboard. You can run it with only one CPU but that would be a bit of a waste. It is an LGA771 socket motherboard meaning you have to buy a Xeon or a Core 2 Extreme Edition QX9775 processor for it. The Xeon's can be had relatively cheaply but the latter mentioned Core 2 Extreme Edition QX9775 is about $1500 for just one of them. It's also an odd board because although it has LGA771 processor sockets it uses the standard LGA775 heatsink bolt pattern. Now that's a good thing in my book but something to keep in mind if you are thinking about purchasing a boxed Xeon processor. The heatsink and fan that boxed Xeon's come with would be worthless on the D5400XS motherboard.

Second problem is that the board requires FB-DIMMs. Those are a little on the expensive side. The board already doesn't match standard DDR3 motherboards in terms of memory bandwidth. So if you'll want to mitigate the performance penalty by going with DDR2 PC2-800MHz FB-DIMMs instead of the more common and slower 667MHz modules. This isn't a requirement but something else to think about.

Third issue is that the board doesn't support 3-Way SLI. Granted Driver Heaven claims that they got their hands on a driver that adds 3-Way SLI support to the D5400XS motherboard but I haven't seen this driver in the wild. For the boards' price 3-Way SLI should be a given feature and it isn't. This board however should handle Crossfire X which is a bonus. It does have four full speed PCI-Express x16 slots.

Fourth problem is the boards' cost. Last time I checked it was about $610 or so. Not cheap. You can get some decent RAM and a regualr SLI compatible motherboard for that easily.

Next issue is power consumption. While the power requirements are actually pretty reasonable the platform will require a beefier power supply than a comparable conventional SLI compatible motherboard/system would. This is a minor issue compared to all the other problems. No doubt the D5400XS and a pair of Xeon's would be appealing but the price/performance ratio is terrible when you really get down to it. It won't even overclock as well as your typical SLI compatible motherboard.

I think you mean Skulltrail. There are several issues with that plan. Let's forget about the fact that the board is a dual socket motherboard. You can run it with only one CPU but that would be a bit of a waste. It is an LGA771 socket motherboard meaning you have to buy a Xeon or a Core 2 Extreme Edition QX9775 processor for it. The Xeon's can be had relatively cheaply but the latter mentioned Core 2 Extreme Edition QX9775 is about $1500 for just one of them. It's also an odd board because although it has LGA771 processor sockets it uses the standard LGA775 heatsink bolt pattern. Now that's a good thing in my book but something to keep in mind if you are thinking about purchasing a boxed Xeon processor. The heatsink and fan that boxed Xeon's come with would be worthless on the D5400XS motherboard.

Second problem is that the board requires FB-DIMMs. Those are a little on the expensive side. The board already doesn't match standard DDR3 motherboards in terms of memory bandwidth. So if you'll want to mitigate the performance penalty by going with DDR2 PC2-800MHz FB-DIMMs instead of the more common and slower 667MHz modules. This isn't a requirement but something else to think about.

Third issue is that the board doesn't support 3-Way SLI. Granted Driver Heaven claims that they got their hands on a driver that adds 3-Way SLI support to the D5400XS motherboard but I haven't seen this driver in the wild. For the boards' price 3-Way SLI should be a given feature and it isn't. This board however should handle Crossfire X which is a bonus. It does have four full speed PCI-Express x16 slots.

Fourth problem is the boards' cost. Last time I checked it was about $610 or so. Not cheap. You can get some decent RAM and a regualr SLI compatible motherboard for that easily.

Next issue is power consumption. While the power requirements are actually pretty reasonable the platform will require a beefier power supply than a comparable conventional SLI compatible motherboard/system would. This is a minor issue compared to all the other problems. No doubt the D5400XS and a pair of Xeon's would be appealing but the price/performance ratio is terrible when you really get down to it. It won't even overclock as well as your typical SLI compatible motherboard.

Wow... didn't mean to get you worked up.

I was taking a friendly jab at BigCactus. He changes his mind about what hardware he wants by the hour. Well, more like by the ban since we only see him every couple of weeks for the few days he gets off of his ban.

The skulltrail has lots of issues. It falls under the category of "masochistic bleeding edge, but yet not really bleeding edge so what do I call this expensive pita?"

Wow... didn't mean to get you worked up.

I was taking a friendly jab at BigCactus. He changes his mind about what hardware he wants by the hour. Well, more like by the ban since we only see him every couple of weeks for the few days he gets off of his ban.

The skulltrail has lots of issues. It falls under the category of "masochistic bleeding edge, but yet not really bleeding edge so what do I call this expensive pita?"

Well the platform is great. I thought rather highly of it. It has two problems. Cost and it requires FB-DIMMs. That's what it really boils down to. For a gamer it offers nothing over a standard Core 2 Quad/Extreme Edition DDR2/DDR3 setup on a conventional motherboard.

One of the best things about the board is that it does both SLI and Crossfire interchangably. That's actually one of its' more appealing features in my opinion.

Well the platform is great. I thought rather highly of it. It has two problems. Cost and it requires FB-DIMMs. That's what it really boils down to. For a gamer it offers nothing over a standard Core 2 Quad/Extreme Edition DDR2/DDR3 setup on a conventional motherboard.

One of the best things about the board is that it does both SLI and Crossfire interchangably. That's actually one of its' more appealing features in my opinion.

Honestly, I'm a little glad my 780i can't do crossfire. Not because I'm an Nvidia fanboy, but because it lessons my temptation to upgrade. Because well.... lets face it, SLI G92s can run anything I want to at 19x12. Hell, I was screwing around and stared at a wall in CoD4 and got 400FPS. But real game play, the lowest I think I've seen it is ~70.

lol, so what was that math,cherry picking reviews and 280 retailer price research you were posting in every page in this thread?

Cherry picking reviews? I used the reviews from the thread that was linked to by someone.

Cherry picking prices? I used prices from newegg and zipzoomfly. I also used google's shopping search to find the lowest prices it could find and linked to it.

As far as the math, I used VERY conservative numbers. I said a GTX280 was 70% of a 4870x2. Which is the same as saying the 4870x2 is 43% better to come up with my numbers. I don't recall any website claiming the 4870x2 was 43% better overall than the 280. So please, continue to tell me I'm a fan boy.

Back