Nvidia might rename the lineup

shraz

Limp Gawd
Finally easier and simpler:

By the end of 2008, says the report, Nvidia will be offering today’s 9000 series as G100, GT120, GT130, GT140 and GT150 models. It will also resort to using simpler letter prefixes to denote performance levels, “G” for baseline, “GS” and “GT” for mid-range and “GTX” for high-end.

How about after we rename the 9800GT to the GT140 , we rename it again in another 4 months?

LOL

but the move will clear up alot of confusion
all we will need to know is which pre(and su)ffix beats which, and the numbers will tell the rest
and we will always know core revisions and such

bravo for this

And the average joe consumer will still be effin' confused....

avg is always confused, so there isnt much we can do about that

I work mostly help desk (Army LAN tech) , avg joe is NOT tech savvy in any way, Ive seen things that would make most of us sick

I don't think its that confusing right now? Same principle/system just different words and numbers in my eyes? It would make more sense for them to start doing that for the NEXT generation... so they wouldn't have long ass numbers like the 10800GTX

well, the 1080GTX is obviously the worlds best HD gaming card, hands down

/rant

well, the 1080GTX is obviously the worlds best HD gaming card, hands down

/rant

I'm not so stupid that I don't know that the 10800GTX* doesn't exist, I was just saying thats a logical model to come out next generation from them, considering 8000, 9000...

sounds like a good idea to me to be honest 10000 vs 11000 etc just is unwieldly

/rant ... ( < take it with a grain of salt when you see that )
I wasnt calling you stupid man, Im just poking fun at the avg consumer. I mean, come on, nowadays things like "1080" and HD are the buzz words of the tech sector (For the avg joe shopping best buy or what not)

Dont get all personal, It wasnt a jab at you, I know that no one here is that dumb. Well, thers always an idiot somewhere (again, not saying thats you)

Finally easier and simpler:

By the end of 2008, says the report, Nvidia will be offering today’s 9000 series as G100, GT120, GT130, GT140 and GT150 models.
G100 = 9400
GT120 = 9500
GT130 = 9600GSO
GT140 = 9600GT
GT150 = 9800GT ???
It will also resort to using simpler letter prefixes to denote performance levels, “G” for baseline, “GS” and “GT” for mid-range and “GTX” for high-end.
imo this makes a lot more sense to represent the 'tier' of card within the series, rather than the current way of slapping GS/GT/GTX in the end of whatever random card.

still a lot more confusing that ati's way of setting up generations with numbers imo

About damn time. Too bad they are going to create more confusion renaming old models. They should just use the scheme going forward with new models.

NVIDIA should base their video card naming scheme on the Fibonacci sequence.
THAT would make everything more easier for everybody...

Back