Nvidia now supporting out of spec H264 files?

Toytown

Gawd
From some forums ive read, the latest Nvidia drivers, now support 'some' features of Level 5.1 files H264/AVC files that previously broke DXVA acceleration. If this is true then thats really great news and hopefully ATI will follow suit quickly. If it works then hopefully all my H264 files can be offloaded to the GPU and i no longer have to worry about which ones have to be decoded in software/hardware mode.

Anybody willing to test, as i have an ATI card :(

List of supported GPUs? I've got a 9600GSO in my HTPC that I can test on.

I think its all Nvidia GPU's that previously had DXVA acceleration so the 9series should definetely cover it and most of the 8 range.

possibly the 7 ? seems my 7600GT tooks some load off of my cpu and i can now play 1080 content vs using integrated x3500 intel crap on the P5E-VM HDMi

possibly the 7 ?

Maybe just the new drivers being more efficent, as far as i was aware only the majority of the 8 series and above had the hardware decoder....if i remember correctly the first GTX/GTS didnt have one.

kew, that explains it then and not some miracle :) now to get a retail BR disk and player to see if it can play that :)

Just picked up a 9600gt to try this "feature" out. Using mpc:hc I'm not getting 100% of my h264 and x264 library to playback using the gpu. I had a 2600xt and it feels like the 9600 is playing more files but It's hard to remember which files worked and which didn't.

I wanted to use this card as a cheap way to play high bitrate 1080p files w/o having to upgrade my entire system. I've downloaded the latest nvidia drivers. Am I missing something here?

I tested DXVA using MPC-HD on some older x264 vids and it didnt GPU accelerate them.
The modern encoding tools work well though, my latest encodes use about 6% CPU vs 22% before.
([email protected], 8800GT, 180.48 driver)

Okay, whoa. I was just about to post again that I was going to return the card until I found out that a new version of mpc:hc came out, v.1.2.908.0. Well, lo and behold, it now plays the mkv/h264 files that weren't playing with the 9600gt from before. Looks like I'm going to be keeping the card now and just changing out the noisy fan.

Cpu is only at 3-8% playing 1080p x264 files. Very nice. Still gotta try out the 2600xt that I pulled out a month ago.

edit: some of my really really old h264/mkv files still aren't using the gpu :/

edit2: would an onboard geforce 9400 or 8300 have the same decoding capabilities as the 9600?

The modern encoding tools work well though, my latest encodes use about 6% CPU vs 22% before

Encoding tools? If your on about the GPU encoding tools there of no use at all, as x264 beats it in speed and quality on pretty much everything.

Encoding tools? If your on about the GPU encoding tools there of no use at all, as x264 beats it in speed and quality on pretty much everything.

I'm talking about the same thing this thread is about, not encoding a file with a GPU.

Just popped in the an ati 2600xt and had no luck getting the some of the files work with it. I'm probably going to return my 9600 and just upgrade my whole system to nvidia. I would like to stick with amd for their 45w cpus but there isn't a board with a built in 9400 igp.

Can anyone try to see if the 8300 decode non compliant files?

Back