nVidia skips G81 and goes straight to G90!

EternityZX9

Limp Gawd
We told you earlier about NVIDIA skipping G81 or GeForce 8900 to go straight for something more powerful. It seems like INQ has insider scoop that NVIDIA mulling the successor to G80 but still would like to produce GX2 if they managed to solve the thermal and power issues. After that it will be time for G9x flavour, codenamed G90. NVIDIA is planning to produce 65nm G9x chips based on G80 architecture with much higher frequencies and powered with GDDR4. If NVIDIA makes G80 smaller there may also be just enough space for 512Mbit controller. If all goes as planned, the chip is scheduled for second part of 2007.

Source: http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4690

Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37791

Shout out to HamidFULL @ Xtremesystems.org for pointing this out!

Enjoy! :)

This could very well be true, but currently this information is coming from Fuad who is about as untrustworthy and retarded as a single human being can get.

I think it means 2nd Half of 2007, which means Sept '07 to Mar '08. It could be a year away.

This could very well be true, but currently this information is coming from Fuad who is about as untrustworthy and retarded as a single human being can get.

Typically, I'd agree, but both the vr-zone and the inq are reporting this, just not 1 site.

Also the Geforce 6 series was released April 2004 and Geforce 7 series was released June 2005 little over a year difference in release dates. Why can't it happen again?

Typically, I'd agree, but both the vr-zone and the inq are reporting this, just not 1 site.

Also the Geforce 6 series was released April 2004 and Geforce 7 series was released June 2005 little over a year difference in release dates. Why can't it happen again?

vr-zone appears to be just regurgitating the inqwell's sewage. VR-zone is one of those sites that typically just quote/repost/rehash/link to 'news' as reported by other sites. A link monster as it were...

They've tried to spice it up over the past couple of years with an original article or review or three, but not a lot has changed over the vr-zone of 4 or 5 years ago.

7 series was 90 nm, was the 6 series 130 nm, I don't remember? Cause semiconductor nodes typically take 18-24 months to advance, and that period is getting longer these days.

why does anyone believe or post anything he says....

he is like the biggest attention whore on the internet i think, he likes to make bold claims on his site and let the internet run wild with them.

LMAO

So does this mean no mid series 8 cards?

No. Mid-low G80 based cards will appear around March-April.

It's the Inq of course, but being true, these are awful news for AMD/ATI. If NVIDIA pulls this off this year and considering the quality of the G80 archictecture, I don't think R600 stands a chance, especially with all the constant delays.

Assuming for a moment this is true, we're talking about a 65 nm G80, which should reach 800+ Mhz of clock frequency, plus a 512 bit memory bus coupled with 1 GB of GDDR4, at least at 2.2 Ghz. Not to mention that NVIDIA could very well increase the number of stream processors.
This could be translated into, at least, 1.5 times the 8800 GTX performance. Not to mention that, the extra memory bandwidth, should help, when using CSAA, at extremely high resolutions, i.e. 2560x1600, without a big performance hit.

Anyway, enough speculation :)
Let's just wait and see what NVIDIA is cooking.

7 series was 90 nm, was the 6 series 130 nm, I don't remember? Cause semiconductor nodes typically take 18-24 months to advance, and that period is getting longer these days.

The GeForce 7 series (G70) started @ 110 nm. The refresh (G71) was the one @ 90 nm, which appeared in the beginning of 2006.

why does anyone believe or post anything he says....

he is like the biggest attention whore on the internet i think, he likes to make bold claims on his site and let the internet run wild with them.

hey he just wants more traffic to his site which we are providing and thus he gets more $ from advertisements :D :p

Back