Nvidia Surround and Win8 'Modern UI' issue

Hi all,

I'm running a triple monitor setup using Nvidia Surround. I use the bezel corrected resolutions. On the start screen, Win8 auto-arranges the apps on the screen, and I can't move them, they just shuffle around. The problem is some of the app icons are 'behind' the bezels making them impossible to see what they are unless I use the 'bezel peek' function.

Does anybody know if there is a way to turn off the 'auto arrange' feature for the app icons?

Thanks,
-SR

Rightclick on desktop, I think its called "show" in the english version (I use norwegian). There you can turn off automatic ordering of icons for desktop.

On taskbar, rightclick and choose properties. There you can change whether or not to use taskbar on all screens. :)

On the startscreen, you can arrange them by groups by pressing the - sign on bottom right (or hold down ctrl while scrolling with middle mouse scroll button). Then it will zoom out and you can make groups with names. Moving icons is simply a click and drag when not zoomed out. You cannot remove the grid though.

Last edited:
Rightclick on desktop, I think its called "show" in the english version (I use norwegian). There you can turn off automatic ordering of icons for desktop.

On taskbar, rightclick and choose properties. There you can change whether or not to use taskbar on all screens. :)

On the startscreen, you can arrange them by groups by pressing the - sign on bottom right (or hold down ctrl while scrolling with middle mouse scroll button). Then it will zoom out and you can make groups with names. Moving icons is simply a click and drag when not zoomed out. You cannot remove the grid though.

EDIT: just saw the very last part of your post Tamlin, the 'grid' auto arrange is what i'm trying to get rid of, as the second and fourth group of 'icons' are behind my monitor frame bezels.....

Anyone know a way to turn this feature off on the Metro/Modern UI?

Thanks!!

EDIT: just saw the very last part of your post Tamlin, the 'grid' auto arrange is what i'm trying to get rid of, as the second and fourth group of 'icons' are behind my monitor frame bezels.....

Anyone know a way to turn this feature off on the Metro/Modern UI?

Thanks!!

As of yet, nothing you can do. Metro was designed with tablets in mind and it's desktop implementation is shit. The start screen always takes up 100% of the primary monitor, and doesn't use the others. However with nVidia surround, the nVidia card is presenting your monitors at a single one, hence the way it acts. It isn't aware of the bezels.

My recommendation? Tell Metro to fuck off, go get a copy of Start8. It gives you a nice regular start menu, but does it in a visual style that integrates well with 8. Worth the money IMO/

If you are dead set against spending anything, Classic Shell does the trick for free, though isn't as nice overall I find.

Eventually maybe MS will fix Metro and make it more multi-monitor friendly, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm still running Windows 7 and haven't (possibly won't) yet upgraded to Windows 8 so I may be on totally the wrong path here, but can't you just select a non bezel corrected resolution for your desktop? Then the tiles wouldn't be hidden behind the bezels?

Back