NVIDIA to Launch GeForce 8600 Series on April 17th

i dont hate anyone. in fact, i said "i think i love you" to the other fellow. what, i am hating on everyone just because i asked about your modded bios.......

I was hoping nvidia would announce that they're shipping the 8900's in april?

I don't know about the 8900, but they did find something in the new BETA drivers about an 8800 Ultra.

there is no 8900. it was just a rumor. there was an 8 line story in the inq, and some other stories based on that article. but nothing reliable, or from nvidia. and its not on nvidia'a list of new cards to be released in the next few months. also, it looks like the 8800 ultra will be positioned below the 8800gts.. when was the last time nvidia had an "ultra" part?

or early q4, which would be the 9xxx series. maybe some kind of dual gpu thing in the meantime. also, sli2 is supposed to be shown soon, so thats good news.

I was planning on holding off on upgrading my 6600 until the G81 or refresh but I just don't know now. Is there a point buying a DX10 Video card when there are no DX10 games?

You'll have better performance with current games.

hmm to buy a 8800gts now at $279, wait until R600 comes out, or wait until 8600gts comes out.

Hmm, how official is this news?

I'm waiting to see the official press report. Until then I've sold my 7x00 series card, don't have time for gaming right now anyway. Then whenever these new cards are finally released I'll be dominating my classes and ready to get a nice upgrade and get serious gaming done. Either way the pricepoint is good, and I'll be able to go use the money I got on my 7x card to jump directly to some 8x series for less then $20. Though I am sacrificing by not having a gaming vid. card for almost a month.

I am dissapointed that there is no 512MB variant of the 8600 series announced yet. Hopefully there will be, I would be very surprised if there isn't, given that you have even 7600s in 512MB versions. :)

How do you think the performance of the 8600GTS would compare with a 7800GTX 256MB?

Hmm, how official is this news?

I'm waiting to see the official press report. Until then I've sold my 7x00 series card, don't have time for gaming right now anyway. Then whenever these new cards are finally released I'll be dominating my classes and ready to get a nice upgrade and get serious gaming done. Either way the pricepoint is good, and I'll be able to go use the money I got on my 7x card to jump directly to some 8x series for less then $20. Though I am sacrificing by not having a gaming vid. card for almost a month.

I am dissapointed that there is no 512MB variant of the 8600 series announced yet. Hopefully there will be, I would be very surprised if there isn't, given that you have even 7600s in 512MB versions. :)

According to this:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/nvidia/8600gts/g1.htm

The 8600 GTS will have two models: One with 256 MB and another with 512 MB

And according to this:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/nvidia/8600gt/g1.htm

The 8600 GT will also have two models: One with 128 MB and another with 256 MB.

Grumble grumble, still more then a month to go! Getting a 8600GTS 512MB version as soon as they ship!

These cards bring DX10 and top image quality to the midrange, along with performance that outdoes the former low-mid perfomance-range cards. Once they hit the market, why would any sane person buy either a 7 series or X1 series card? I bet if you can get decent overclocks on the 512MB GTS, it'll even put the hurt on the X1900-1950 high-end cards. ATi has got to be soiling their shorts right about now.

Edit: I think a comparison between the 512MB 8600GTS and the 320 MB 8800GTS would be very interesting as far as the effects of various specs on overall performance.

These cards bring DX10 and top image quality to the midrange, along with performance that outdoes the former low-mid perfomance-range cards. Once they hit the market, why would any sane person buy either a 7 series or X1 series card? I bet if you can get decent overclocks on the 512MB GTS, it'll even put the hurt on the X1900-1950 high-end cards. ATi has got to be soiling their shorts right about now.

Edit: I think a comparison between the 512MB 8600GTS and the 320 MB 8800GTS would be very interesting as far as the effects of various specs on overall performance.

It's my best guess the 8600 GTS would lose.
Stream Processors are probably the most important aspect of G80 and the 8800 GTS 320, features 96 of them, which is 50% more than the rumored 64 of the 8600 GTS. The GTS 320 has the muscle to push the in-game settings to the max, provided that you don't go too high in resolution, so that you do not reach the memory frame buffer limit that 320 MB of VRAM imposes.
The 8600 GTS will most likely fail a little bit in that regard. The framerate might be similar on both cards at the same resolution, but the 8600 GTS 512 will need to compromise some of the eye candy to get there. My best guess anyway, based on the specs.

But no doubt, that these are excellent news for us consumers: Mid-range DX10 offerings with great potential.

Anyone know if the 8600 will be offered in a single slot cooler config? I want something to replace my 7900GT.

I don't get it then, with rebate the 8800GTS 320s are in about the same range as the 8600GTS 256/512 upon release and my guess is with the R600 the 8800GTS 640 would drop to the current 8800GTS 320. You wouldn't be getting bang for your buck unless your looking at single card config being worth the drop in preformence. Then I'd rather wait for the R600 card to be released and get a full 8800GTS 640MB. I'm just following classic examples of past models we have from the release of 7 series cards (7800GTX high>>7900GT high>>7950GT high and 7800GT high >>7600GT med/high>>7900GS high).

I wonder if they will come out with the AGP version of these? ha yeah im still stuck on agp and whatnot.
Where will these cards rank vs the x1950? I found a " turbo " version of the x1950,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161069

some specs on it.
Powered by ATI Radeon X1950Pro - 620MHz (Turbo)
512/256MB-256bit 8 channel GDDR3 memory - 1.48GHz (Turbo)
36 Pixel shader processor
8 Vertex shader processor
8 Geometry Pipelines
Ultra-threaded SM 3.0 Engine
512-bit Ring-bus
ATI Avivo
High Precision Architecture
AGP support via RIALTO

so, wait till the new Nvidia cards or go ahead and lay down some money on this bad boy?

:confused: :confused:

It's my best guess the 8600 GTS would lose.
Stream Processors are probably the most important aspect of G80 and the 8800 GTS 320, features 96 of them, which is 50% more than the rumored 64 of the 8600 GTS. The GTS 320 has the muscle to push the in-game settings to the max, provided that you don't go too high in resolution, so that you do not reach the memory frame buffer limit that 320 MB of VRAM imposes.
The 8600 GTS will most likely fail a little bit in that regard. The framerate might be similar on both cards at the same resolution, but the 8600 GTS 512 will need to compromise some of the eye candy to get there. My best guess anyway, based on the specs.

But no doubt, that these are excellent news for us consumers: Mid-range DX10 offerings with great potential.

Silus: You're probably right. I'm just curious how the higher clock speed and bigger RAM of the 8600 might factor in. Just like with CPUs, you have the old instructions per clock vs. clocks per second balancing act. And on the RAM, the 320 GTS proved to have a hard wall with image quality in that once you exceeded the frame buffer capacity it would have to use system memory and performance fell off a cliff. The extra RAM might give the 8600 room to catch up, especially with some overclocking to give a closer ratio of shader ops per second. Even if it only comes within 10-20%, that leaves the 320 GTS with the 8600 squeezing it from below on performance and the 640 GTS squeezing it from above on price.

Anyone know if the 8600 will be offered in a single slot cooler config? I want something to replace my 7900GT.

Alphaone: All the pictures linked on preview articles show that both 8600 cards have single-slot coolers. Man, think of the SLI--no blocked slots, low power draw, adequate memory at 512MB and the combined shader power of a GTX!

I wonder if they will come out with the AGP version of these? ha yeah im still stuck on agp and whatnot.
Where will these cards rank vs the x1950? I found a " turbo " version of the x1950,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814161069

some specs on it.