NVIDIA & Vista Driver News

Pathetic.
“nVidia has been working closely with Microsoft.”
Vista (Longhorn) has been in development for years. It is absurd that vista is less than four days away from launch and hardware manufacturers are still struggling with a working driver, no less a beta. It is sad enough that Asus’ website is devoid of any Visa drivers or even a competent Visa discussion. In addition, basic (HP) printer drivers, iTunes, and a myriad of essential applications will not fully function.
Currently, Vista is all dressed-up with nowhere to go!

Pathetic.
“nVidia has been working closely with Microsoft.”
Vista (Longhorn) has been in development for years. It is absurd that vista is less than four days away from launch and hardware manufacturers are still struggling with a working driver, no less a beta. It is sad enough that Asus’ website is devoid of any Visa drivers or even a competent Visa discussion. In addition, basic (HP) printer drivers, iTunes, and a myriad of essential applications will not fully function.
Currently, Vista is all dressed-up with nowhere to go!

Funny... I have no problems with iTunes and I haven't had any problems with any apps that receive any sort of updates during the span of their life. Hell, I've even played CS:S under it and my only complaint is that the fps aren't what they are under XP (which is why I have a dual-boot setup).

I have an MSDN subscription and would very much like to try out the 8800 GTX on Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.
I have an MSDN OS subscription, and I've been running Vista Ultimate 64-bit since the 100.30 drivers for the 8800 were leaked, overall it's working pretty good, some thing even work better than on XP, playing back high-def movies on the secondary display always works, whereas it would often screw up on XP.

Anyway once I get my hands on these newer drivers, I'm going to try more games... From the sounds of it, games will perform as well as XP AT BEST for the time being.

-prof

Even if someone had a link to these 100.54 drivers, wouldn't the moderators pull it because HardOCP would also be under the NDA?

Vista Business was officially released November 30 and apparently is doing well.
And the Geforce 8800 is such a business-targeted GPU, dontcha know...

I never quite fully understand why people keep bringing up the fact that ATI has Vista Drivers. They dont have any DX 10 parts with a completely new Architechture and unified design. When you have to start from scratch in every way it has to be a huge mountain to climb. Nvidia has has DX9 drivers for Vista for ages, so has ATI. I think the big thing that ATI should be bitched about is a DX10 part...
I like ATI, but I agree.

I may be moving to Vista a lot sooner than expected. If they can pump out some drivers on par with what they have for XP I see no reason to stick with XP Pro.
Once you experience the User Account Control issues some are having, Vista's DRM, and the fact that currently Vista really can't do anything that XP can't do as well (or XP + great open-source apps at least), you may change your mind. Especially in the light that there are no DX10 apps/games available at this point. Rather than look for "reasons to stick with XP", I'd ask you: What reason is there not to stick with XP?

I'm still running RC2 on a test-box at home, so I know what I'm in for as other end-users that I support switch to it. I have found no compelling reasons to switch to Vista, unless you count bragging rights to friends and the ability to show off a new GUI to people who haven't seen it yet. That's not to say there won't be reasons in eight months, when new apps will be more likely to take account of running in least-privileged modes, and of UAC; or when SP1 (currently slated for a late 2007 release, Microsoft has just opened up the TAP program for enterprise users to sign on to beta-test it) is released, but currently, I haven't found a good reason to spend the money on an upgrade.

"the guru" has 100.40

Those are laptop drivers, meant for a very limited number of chipsets. IIRC they don't include support for the G80 (although the inf could be edited to add support).

Once you experience the User Account Control issues some are having, Vista's DRM, and the fact that currently Vista really can't do anything that XP can't do as well (or XP + great open-source apps at least), you may change your mind.
The UAC stuff is a good idea, but I found it too annoying (especially when trying to experiment with the OS), so I'm keeping that disabled until they can get it working a little better. For instructions on doing that, see http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d91033.mspx?mfr=true

Personally I'm dual-booting Vista Ultimate and XP SP2... Vista Ultimate is for messing around on, XP SP2 is for work, and I'm not torching that SP2 install until I'm sure it's safe to do so.

So far Vista Ultimate 64-bit is working quite well though :)

-prof

The UAC stuff is a good idea, but I found it too annoying (especially when trying to experiment with the OS), so I'm keeping that disabled until they can get it working a little better. For instructions on doing that, see http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d91033.mspx?mfr=true

Personally I'm dual-booting Vista Ultimate and XP SP2... Vista Ultimate is for messing around on, XP SP2 is for work, and I'm not torching that SP2 install until I'm sure it's safe to do so.

So far Vista Ultimate 64-bit is working quite well though :)

-prof
My issue is that one of my startup programs is prevented from running by Vista. I can manually tell Vista to allow the program, but Vista requires that I do it every time the system boots; there is no option to say "I trust this program, run it every time my computer starts up". I can disable UAC, but that leaves me with a red shield letting me know it is disabled, and prompts to turn it back on; both are annoying, and it also removes the security of UAC, defeating its purpose.

I've recently been told I can set the program to run as admin though, so I'll have to test that out. Either way though, I haven't had issues running XP securely.

My test box isn't 64-bit, so unless I repartition a drive on the box in my sig, I cannot play with the 64-bit version. I do hope that Microsoft actually manages to make 64-bit computing better than their (somewhat limited, IMO) efforts with XP-64.

My issue is that one of my startup programs is prevented from running by Vista. I can manually tell Vista to allow the program, but Vista requires that I do it every time the system boots; there is no option to say "I trust this program, run it every time my computer starts up".
Yes, exactly, that's the missing feature.

I can disable UAC, but that leaves me with a red shield letting me know it is disabled, and prompts to turn it back on; both are annoying, and it also removes the security of UAC, defeating its purpose.
Yes that's true. I do like the idea of it though - I'd really like to start using it, if they can add that feature that you and I both want ..

I've recently been told I can set the program to run as admin though, so I'll have to test that out. Either way though, I haven't had issues running XP securely.
Ah, yes I'll try that too. And, FWIW, I never had security issues on XP, but then I'm pretty careful about security issues, and probably you are also.

My test box isn't 64-bit, so unless I repartition a drive on the box in my sig, I cannot play with the 64-bit version. I do hope that Microsoft actually manages to make 64-bit computing better than their (somewhat limited, IMO) efforts with XP-64.

LOL yeah XP 64 was a "bastard child" :)

-prof

LoneWolf said:
Once you experience the User Account Control issues some are having, Vista's DRM, and the fact that currently Vista really can't do anything that XP can't do as well (or XP + great open-source apps at least), you may change your mind. Especially in the light that there are no DX10 apps/games available at this point. Rather than look for "reasons to stick with XP", I'd ask you: What reason is there not to stick with XP?

Something new. For the same reason I constantly upgrade hardware, because I can and I like the thrill. No other reason than that :D . Also I will be dual booting at first, just in case.

Woot, this is great news.

I wonder if they will support 8800gtx sli on this new set of drivers.

Woot, this is great news.

I wonder if they will support 8800gtx sli on this new set of drivers.

They will 'support' it soon enough but the way I've heard it SLI should be working in the drivers, but the code is in a beta state and there could possibly be issues getting SLI to work.

We will find out soon hopefully. :)

Man forget the drivers...when the hell is nVidia planning on releasing Vista chipset drivers to support the nForce4 motherboards?

I actually plan on buying the OS this time :p but I won't be buying it right away if my hardware doesn't work and I definitely won't buy it if Maya 8 & 3dsmax 9 don't work on it.

Man forget the drivers...when the hell is nVidia planning on releasing Vista chipset drivers to support the nForce4 motherboards?

I actually plan on buying the OS this time :p but I won't be buying it right away if my hardware doesn't work and I definitely won't buy it if Maya 8 & 3dsmax 9 don't work on it.

Huh? I never have had any trouble with my nForce4 boards and Vista. They work right out of the box.

Hell even my nForce2 and nForce 3 boards work perfectly.

No I mean the drivers on nvidia's website are still BETA drivers for Vista BETA 2 and they don't have an installer yet.

No I mean the drivers on nvidia's website are still BETA drivers for Vista BETA 2 and they don't have an installer yet.

I think BF's point is that they're not distributing them as a separate download since they're included with the Windows Vista installation itself and any downloadable distributions of the drivers will actually be revisions of what came pre-packaged.

nVidia is not distributing them as a separate download since they're included with the Windows Vista installation itself and any downloadable distributions of the drivers will actually be revisions of what came pre-packaged.

Correct. MS did indeed integrate the latest nVidia chipset drivers in Vista releases after Beta 2.

Ah gotcha...

Even if it is integrated into the OS, why wouldn't they still release on their website? Doesn't really make sense.

Correct. MS did indeed integrate the latest nVidia chipset drivers in Vista releases after Beta 2.

Would it stand to reason, then, that the v.8.1.1.1010 of the Intel chipset drivers also be integrated?

They might be...I actually just used that version of the Intel drivers on my laptop with the downloaded WinBETA RTM build of Vista and they worked fine.

Ah gotcha...

Even if it is integrated into the OS, why wouldn't they still release on their website? Doesn't really make sense.
If they are included in the OS, and there isn't a newer version - nothing is needed. Load up vista, and visit windows update. You will see a few updated drivers for Nforce. After doing that, you don't need to do anything unless they release something new and you want to install it...

hmm...I plan on buying the 64-bit OEM Home Premium version so I'll wait and see. I want to make sure the 64-bit version doesn't turn into another WinXP x64.

hmm...I plan on buying the 64-bit OEM Home Premium version so I'll wait and see. I want to make sure the 64-bit version doesn't turn into another WinXP x64.
I would consider not much difference - if you mean the fact that there aren't any real 64bit apps and certain 32bit apps won't work and the fact that it's pointless to use unless you want to use some insane amount of ram

That's exactly my point...I hope there are more actual 64-bit programs for Vista 64-bit. Plus I use WinXP x64 now with 3dsmax 9 since it fully supports 64-bit CPUs.

In addition to that...I've messed with both 32-bit and 64-bit iterations of Vista and I could tell a huge difference in the 64-bit version. I'm running a AMD X2 3800+ w/ 2GB of RAM (soon to be 4GB) and a Geforce 7800 GT PCI-e.

Rather than look for "reasons to stick with XP", I'd ask you: What reason is there not to stick with XP?

i got vista enterprise 64bit from school for free...and i had nothin better to do :)

anyhow, new drivers would be nice. the beta stuff ive found so far isnt bad, but games still arent quite up to par with xp32.

new drivers pls

I've messed with both 32-bit and 64-bit iterations of Vista and I could tell a huge difference in the 64-bit version.

Can you elaborate on the "huge difference"? I've not tried the 64bit version yet.

lol..I dunno for me it just felt a lot more stable and everything seemed to run much smoother (much like how it feels when I use WinXP x64.)

I do like the fact that Nvidia is doing this but I would also like to see them release a set of drivers for older hardware under winxp, like my 7900gt, seems like the 6 and 7 series are getting the cold shoulder as it were.

lol..I dunno for me it just felt a lot more stable and everything seemed to run much smoother (much like how it feels when I use WinXP x64.)

It's a subjective thing, but I'd agree it seems to run smoother, and stability seems good for me so far (Vista Ultimate 64-bit). Still, XP SP2 was quite stable for me overall, so I'm more keen on Vista b/c of the lovely UI (yes, I admit it!), ability to use 4+ GB ram, play DX10 games (which are in the pipeline but not available yet), etc...

Although it feels pretty solid to me, I wouldn't fault anyone for sticking with XP for awhile at least... Or you can compromise like me, and dual boot until XP is really unnecessary to have around.

There's been a beta download for the Vista 32bit 100.51 driver become available but it's bogged down speed wise at the moment, once some mirrors are up I will post it.

Early reports are SLI doesn't work :/

I'm waiting for a more complete control panel with monitor rotation. I wish windows would have monitor rotation built in.

100.51 links are all posted at the vid card forums at various places now. Still no sli or overclocking the 8800 yet though. They are dated jan 5th I think.

lol - I just tried to D/L those drivers and I was getting a whopping 6KB/sec transfer rate.

what the heck? are they hosting that site on a dial up connection or what? :p

Nope, their site is just slammed... find a mirror!

100.54 are leaked. Guru wont have them as they are under NDA still.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85202

Still no overclocking in Vista with 8800 series. :rolleyes:
I want the option to overclock as well but I don't think the gains are that great with this series of cards. Then again, in XP we still don't have the proper OC tools. They are supposed to be releasing drivers that allow you to overclock the streaming processors seperately from the rest of the GPU.

I just want them to be stable and perform on par with or better than the XP drivers for now. All the extra shit I can live without for now.

Does anyone know if PureVision works with these?

Back