Nvidia VS Ati

delusion_2005 said:
Well what can i say both Nvidia and Ati make awesome cards, but only if the X700pro has the core speed of the 6600GT, the X700pro would own big due to its vertex pipeline

the 6600GT has a special form of vertex pipe, head for anandtech's review for more info.

so it doesnt have that much of a loss. and dont forget the 6600GT's core is more efficient per clock.

While I'd normally be biased towards buying the X700 because its made by a Canadian company (I like to buy canadian products...), I'd go with the 6800GT. nVidia uses an all-in-one driver solution. One driver works for every one of their cards, making it extremely easy to update your drivers, and not have to worry about getting the right ones, and using certain versions for certain things...

Matt Welke said:
While I'd normally be biased towards buying the X700 because its made by a Canadian company (I like to buy canadian products...), I'd go with the 6800GT. nVidia uses an all-in-one driver solution. One driver works for every one of their cards, making it extremely easy to update your drivers, and not have to worry about getting the right ones, and using certain versions for certain things...

As does ATI... :p

Really? I thought they had all these different drivers. And I constantly hear negative comments on their "Catalyst" driver issues. If they have a unified driver though (that works) I'd definetly switch to ATi.

Matt Welke said:
Really? I thought they had all these different drivers. And I constantly hear negative comments on their "Catalyst" driver issues. If they have a unified driver though (that works) I'd definetly switch to ATi.

As an owner of both ATI and Nvidia cards, I can tell you that the Cat's are still buggy. Some people applaud ATI's frequent release level drivers, but I've yet to find a really solid set. Nvidia stays in 'beta' a lot longer, but overall I think they still make slightly better drivers than ATI.

I'm also an owner of ATI and nVidia, both their driver releases are solid. I still haven't had a problem with the games I play on the ATI side (Far Cry, Half-Life 2, Everquest 2, CS: Source). No problems from the nVidia side either, I say they both put out great drivers, although... I have found my sweet spot with the Catalyst 4.12's with my X800.

Matt Welke said:

Hmm that is no exactly true sone Catalyst driver is really awesome :p , but still i would stay with Nvidia.

ThomasE66 said:
As an owner of both ATI and Nvidia cards, I can tell you that the Cat's are still buggy. Some people applaud ATI's frequent release level drivers, but I've yet to find a really solid set. Nvidia stays in 'beta' a lot longer, but overall I think they still make slightly better drivers than ATI.

I think Nvidia's driver team is much more talented than ATi's...however...Nvidia knows this and they continually call on the driver team to pull performance out of overly complicated hardware (i.e. the FX series and now SLI)...

Personally I've always like Nvidia's drivers much better...but there is something to say for monthly updates...ATi definitely has the right idea there...

^eMpTy^ said:
I think Nvidia's driver team is much more talented than ATi's...however...Nvidia knows this and they continually call on the driver team to pull performance out of overly complicated hardware (i.e. the FX series and now SLI)...

Personally I've always like Nvidia's drivers much better...but there is something to say for monthly updates...ATi definitely has the right idea there...

Yeah but some of the Ati drivers sometime in rare case perform better then the Nvidia and sometime it just really bad. So i want to see Ati release a great driver soon.

Matt Welke said:

The problem is that people keep using "all [those] different drivers". :rolleyes:

Sc4freak said:

Yes it is. Same story with the 6800 vs x850. nv's are more efficient per clock. they cannot scale as much with the 6800series coz its on their .13micron process, but on the .11 on which the 6600 is made can scale much higher. Thats why they can still outperform x700's with only 3 vertex pipes, even though they are quite differently made, does not have the same power as full 6 pipes.

As for the drtvers, yes nv has to work much more due to the sli thing and all, but i still wish they released drivers frequently(1monthly) like ati.

I like the Cats but I hate the CCC so I get the Regular old Control panel. And just to add the reason I hate the CCC is that well I dunno I am old fashioned.

P.S I go the Zalman Cooler for my X800Pro yesterday from a friend (B Day)! Woot Sauce! :D

{NG}Fidel said:
I like the Cats but I hate the CCC so I get the Regular old Control panel. And just to add the reason I hate the CCC is that well I dunno I am old fashioned.

P.S I go the Zalman Cooler for my X800Pro yesterday from a friend (B Day)! Woot Sauce! :D

I don't like the CCC either, but mainly because it's bloated and buggy.

To me it almosts seems useless to get a budget video card right now. With the Release of the R520 happenning soon, that should push prices of the x850 and x800 way down. As well as the NVidia Line to compete

I'm just so fricking proud that the latest Nvidia drivers contain specific fixes that I reported using dual monitors, desktop manager, and the remote desktop client. Almost as much as when Firefox 1.0.1 was released without rounded corners in fullscreen mode.

I have truly made my mark in the product devlopment cycle now. I can die happy.

USMC2Hard4U said:
To me it almosts seems useless to get a budget video card right now. With the Release of the R520 happenning soon, that should push prices of the x850 and x800 way down. As well as the NVidia Line to compete

Always buy the best available, and always sell it on eBay the minute the next best thing comes along. It cost me net $140 to go from a 9800XT to a 6800 Ultra.

rcolbert said:
Always buy the best available, and always sell it on eBay the minute the next best thing comes along. It cost me net $140 to go from a 9800XT to a 6800 Ultra.

Ahh, but you don't have the best available now... you need either another 6800U or a X850XT PE. :p

Staying on the absolute cutting edge is expensive. Upgrading to high end before your old card becomes obsolete (as you have done) is wise.

Jonsey said:
Ahh, but you don't have the best available now... you need either another 6800U or a X850XT PE. :p

Staying on the absolute cutting edge is expensive. Upgrading to high end before your old card becomes obsolete (as you have done) is wise.

Of course with an AGP system the rules change on the next upgrade. And I'm really talking about generation gaps, not incremental upgrades. SLI and PCI-e are both curveballs in my grand scheme of things. Yet at the same time, if I start accumulating a few parts here and there I might be ready to make a rapid transition to a PCI-e system on the next big wave. As for now, I'm ok with a mere 150 FPS on BF:V at 1600x1200. :)

64bit_is_here said:
Yes it is. Same story with the 6800 vs x850. nv's are more efficient per clock. they cannot scale as much with the 6800series coz its on their .13micron process, but on the .11 on which the 6600 is made can scale much higher.
Thats the strange thing with the pcie x800xl. Its got 16 active pipes and its on a new 0.11 fab process. But it clocks nowhere near as well as the older x800 gear.

The old X800's were made with .13u Low-K Di-Electric, allowing them to clock alot higher, like the 9600Series. The new R430 Core and teh 410 core are both made on a .11u process without Low-K Di-Electric, so they can't clock as high.

I also have a theory about why the R430's can't clock as high as the 6600GT's, it's because of the complexity of the chip, 16 full pipelines, 6 Vertex Engines. While they R410, X700 series, with less pipelines and thus less complex core, could scale higher and closer to the 6600GT's. Does that make sense? :confused:

Ballz2TheWallz said:
lol 6800gt had all pipes unlocked

Really? I was wondering. Read two reviews recently, both saying dual 6600gt's beat a 6800gt, and I just couldn't see how they came up with that.

delusion_2005 said:
if i were to enable 6600GT SLI , will it beat the X800XT in intense graphic games?

Nope, cause the 6600GT SLi config runs out of memory alot quicker than say a 256mb X800XT.

Andrew_Carr said:
Really? I was wondering. Read two reviews recently, both saying dual 6600gt's beat a 6800gt, and I just couldn't see how they came up with that.

In low res / low stress situations yes. Crank it up and you have everything X800XL and up being faster.

Back