Nvidia's next "big bang" September

I feel a PR snow job that is meant to curb any 4800 series buyers that are one the fence. Just my 2 cents, you may need change.

I think they probably have something, I think the 4800 series shook them up a bit. Maybe they can make CUDA scale across both cards.

Well if it was like their first big bang (SLi) (which you got to admit was pretty big) this mite be interesting, but its prob going to be the GT200b, if were lucky its a GX2 280. I like when they speak big words to me, it makes me think im going to get something with my money :p .

I hear it's "Pr0n Upscaling". It will turn all your old EGA/CGA pr0n into full 1080pr0n.

Just a rumor though.

After the shock and awe that was the 8800GTX, it would almost have to be the invasion of France to really surprise anyone these days.

it certainly says in the sligt gtx280+ or something right before it lists the features of big bang too, so rumour of gtx 280+ whether it is 55nm or 65nm seems to be true in august and than the big bang in september, I wont be surprised if nvidia totally uses cuda to change the graphincs industry around, may be cuda based sli with more scaling, hell it is everything about cuda when it comes to nvidia these days, I wont be surprised if they call is SLi CudaScaling, or CudaVidia. I just got a gtx 280 and I am happy with anything as longs is it is more performance.

I think it would be pretty sweet to see them throw their hat into the processor arena. Let the wars begin!

wont be surprised if they call is SLi CudaScaling, or CudaVidia. I just got a gtx 280 and I am happy with anything as longs is it is more performance.

That would get my vote, I just like the way it sounds...quad cudavidia's in SLi or whatever

If true SLI and multiple monitors would be great.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/25/nvidia-big-bang-ii-nothing

Time to stop artificially breaking SLI.

By Charlie Demerjian: Friday, 25 July 2008, 4:55 PM

WHAT DO YOU do when you suddenly find yourself in second place, trailing badly with no hope for the rest of the year? You stop artificially crippling your drivers and spin it to the users as magnanimous, welcome to Nvidia's Big Bang II.

The good folk at Chile Hardware were the first to notice it on a blurry slide. The obvious inference is to 'Big Bang', aka the SLI introduction, which was a big deal. Big Bang II is simply not. It is the code name for Release 180 drivers, and they are coming from September 08 to February 09.

R180 has five bullet points, 10-bit displayport support, OpenGL 3.0, SLI on multi-monitors, transcoding on the GPU, and some performance 'optimisations' over R177. Come autumn, they will be catching up to ATI on several key checkboxes, this is a big bang?

The only one in there worth getting excited over is SLI on multi-monitors, and that is kind of a sham. Nvidia will obviously tout it as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they are just unbreaking the driver. They could have turned it on any time they wanted to, it works just fine in the Quadro line (1). Nvidia hurts their most loyal customer base by artificially turning it off in the normal card line. Why anyone thinks they deserve kudos for stopping breaking drivers is beyond me.

In any case, Big Bang II is a small step forward and it brings a few nice features and one very needed one. It is a real pity that their hand had to be forced to stop hurting users for margins though, but that is the way they operate. µ

(1) I wonder what this will do to Quadro sales, and thus NV margins?

i was just about to post that. let's get all the charlie disclaimers and hate out now: yes, he seems to be really biased to ATI and hates nvidia, but he seems to be right about this (and other things).

and concerning the sli multi-monitor thing: if it works in quadro, then it should work in geforce series no doubt...

I hope it's magical because my "old" 8800gts 640mb is still doing pretty damn well for me

Little late for a quote but this is what i was thinking. my gts is still hanging in there. If this update can help it last until the next round of cards that would be great.

let's get all the charlie disclaimers

He has a grudge. He's willing to say anything to get hits and people reading it. He's a troll. There is never any backlash on him when he's wrong.

I'm not however going to sit here and say that it should be "easy" to make SLI work on two video cards. The fact that with all the "aftermarket drivers" there have been in the past, NONE of them enabled SLI suggests it's not an easy fix. But since Charlie says it should be easy... well I better listen up. :rolleyes:

Can't argue with the "unbreaking" point if it's true that that is what Big Bang is.

Can't argue with the "unbreaking" point if it's true that that is what Big Bang is.

Could make sense, I always wondered why quadro SLi hard multimonitor support, and geforce cards don't, but ATi has had this ability for maybe 3 years now (1800 or 1900 series), and the fact that NV hasn't gotten multimonitor to work in that time. IT could be a very complicated problem, or it could be an on/off switch like charlie would hope it to be. I don't know why people still give this guy air time, hes not credible, sure sometimes he can be right, but hes wrong alot, and hes biased all the time. The words he says should not be trusted IMO.

Hopefully this will finally mean that the functionality that is / was in the XP driver will now be available in Vista, in addition to whatever new tricks, tweaks and doo-dads they plan to add in there. I hate it when new drivers = loss of functionality. I still miss the XP drivers ability to set dual monitor wallpapers that auto-adjust easily when you move the two screens. I have to use a third party utility to do the same thing.

IT could be a very complicated problem, or it could be an on/off switch like charlie would hope it to be.
From what I understand its merely an artificial limitation. At one point there was probably a technical reason for disabling it, but its been years. Surely they could have addressed the issue by now.

Its called nview in XP and they actually list that nview wont be released for vista in their driver release notes. Hopefully they changed their mind or they are going to replace it with something else.

Hopefully this will finally mean that the functionality that is / was in the XP driver will now be available in Vista, in addition to whatever new tricks, tweaks and doo-dads they plan to add in there. I hate it when new drivers = loss of functionality. I still miss the XP drivers ability to set dual monitor wallpapers that auto-adjust easily when you move the two screens. I have to use a third party utility to do the same thing.

After a lot of tweaking around in photoshop, I've managed to extrapolate a fair amount of the text. Can anybody help me fill in the blanks here?

<image removed, finished version in my next post>

well -- oddly enough before finding this thread, i just plunked down the money for a BFG 280 OCX... 480ish to my door.

I'm hoping this "big bang II" is all software because im going to be pissed if they come out with some new hardware shit 2 months after I get it.

Lucidlogix Hydra gpu scaling system utilized by Nvidia gpus instead of their traditional sli?

if that is indeed gt200+ r177 that could mean revision 177.? drivers or what, because it does not sound like it is a 55nm based chip, that is the only thing I can think about r177, 55nm gt 200 will only increase yields and might give around 15-20% performance increase

After many painstaking hours (it's now about 2:30 AM my time) I've managed to remake the slide in a more readable resolution. This is as close to the original in wording (as well appearance) as was humanly possible:

31068942.png

if that is indeed gt200+ r177 that could mean revision 177.? drivers or what, because it does not sound like it is a 55nm based chip, that is the only thing I can think about r177, 55nm gt 200 will only increase yields and might give around 15-20% performance increase
r177 would actually be an ATi core; this being a timeline it seems appropriate to list it.

After many painstaking hours (it's now about 2:30 AM my time) I've managed to remake the slide in a more readable resolution. This is as close to the original in wording (as well appearance) as was humanly possible:

[/img]http://arch.kimag.es/share/31068942.png[/img]

r177 would actually be an ATi core; this being a timeline it seems appropriate to list it.

I think R177 means their driver release version.

Nvidia Big Bang II
Charlie couldnt be more wrong. I've already hinted at some of these upcoming changes in previous threads here.

There are tons of flexibility improvements that can be made to Nvidia drivers as of now. Many including PhysX, SLI, AA driver controls.

I dont make a habit of raising hopes off hype and baseless information. Yes there is some new stuff coming. And some of these features were things I was talking about over the last couple of months. The information here is far from specific. Charlie however is way offbased and his own speculation/trash rants are completely laughable. Of course. I'lll be the first to admit I enjoy every chance I get to "dismiss" Charlie.

Of course some of the things I've already mentioned in the past.

1) Improved flexibility for transparency AA
2) Improved SLI/PhysX modes. Including Mixing/Matching Dedicated PhysX GPUs. Improved ways of supporting PhysX via SLI
3) SLI multi monitor support is an obvious one. And TBH I'm surprised the driver hasn't been released yet.

Alot of the stuff in this timeline is still under NDA obviously.

Chris

I was just hoping they were putting two 280's in the Large Hadron Collider....:p

OpenGL 3.0 is more of an API/software overhaul. I'm pretty sure DX10 capable hardware can run it. The big thing is that you can do so on WindowsXP as well which may give OpenGL a leg up over DirectX 10.

Yea, although it's probably too late for that now. Quite a few engines already support DX10, so why bother reinventing the wheel with OpenGL 3.0?
If they had OpenGL 3.0 ready at the time of the Vista introduction, then yea, it could have been a big competitor for DX10... But now? Nah.

Wow. Thanks Unknown-one. Just finished pricing out a new build around a GTX260 ... but it can wait another month or so if it means big price drops if they come out with some new products in october.

Back