NVIDIA's Stereoscopic Glasses coming this year

They want the technology to take off, then they restrict it to Windows Vista...I see a problem there.

Nothing wrong with Vista if you know what you're doing. Actually a very nice os imo.

Virtual boy glasses FTL btw.

Q: What software and hardware is needed?

AF: You’ll need a PC with the following:

An NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT GPU or better
Windows Vista 32-bit (64-bit support coming soon)
Standard Microsoft DirectX game that NVIDIA has preconfigured in our driver (to date NVIDIA has preconfigured over 350+ games).
A supported 3D Ready display. To date we have announced support for ViewSonic® pure 120 Hz LCDs and Mitsubishi DLP® HDTVs.
NVIDIA stereoscopic 3D active shutter glasses (coming soon)

:( I knew I should have bought that 120Hz Sharp LCD HDTV. I wonder if it can be enabled on 60Hz LCDs despite the low resulting FPS rate.

Nothing wrong with Vista if you know what you're doing. Actually a very nice os imo.

Virtual boy glasses FTL btw.
First off, don't give me that "if you know what you're doing" spiel. Vista has compatibility issues on both the hardware and software fronts, making it simply unfeasible for a large number of people to upgrade to.

Second, I never said Vista wasn't a good OS, I just said that restricting these new drivers to Vista will cut the legs off of this things potential userbase.

seeing as how the refresh rate of an lcd refers to the electronics and not how many fps the panels can actually display, what so special about those monitors.

seeing as how the refresh rate of an lcd refers to the electronics and not how many fps the panels can actually display, what so special about those monitors.
Theres no point in using high refresh rates if the LCD panel itself isnt fast enough to draw them, so its more than just the electronics driving the panel.

The new TVs allow you to feed them with 120Hz, ie 120 FPS.
These are the new versions of 120Hz, not the old version TVs that only allows you to feed them around 60Hz.

They are able to display at 120Hz is because the new panels ARE faster.
Clearly the electronics have been upgraded to be able to supply 120Hz as well.

i think i get why they need it that fast as unless i am mistaken you need twice as much fps as normal to get the same speed as normal viewing since the scenes have to be rendered twice, one for each eye, correct?

however, according to the article you need a gray to gray of 8ms or less, now, i ain't sure but can even these lcd's with 120hz input capabilities maintain a sustained 8ms max latency?

most LCD's only have a 60max but some don't even get near that due to panle latency unless i am mistaken especially given manufacturers giving less than honest information.

i'm, just wondering if you actually need this or not as the article seemed to imply it was the recommendation of the manufacturers and they were just wanting people to buy the latest and greatest and that it may not be necessary.

Yes, with shutter glasses, you halve the FPS to each eye.
So 120Hz becomes 60Hz to each eye.

The new 120Hz LCDs accept and display 120 FPS.
The old ones dont.

Keep in mind this isn't like the standard stereoscopic glasses we use to use on our old trusty CRTs, they will require special "3D enabled" monitors.

Keep in mind this isn't like the standard stereoscopic glasses we use to use on our old trusty CRTs, they will require special "3D enabled" monitors.

It is almost exactly the same as using a 120Hz CRT.
If the screen can display properly at 120Hz, it should work fine.
Some LCD's may ghost / blur (this leaves one eyes image bleeding into the other) though so they attach a certificate to those LCDs that they have tested ok.
It doesnt mean that other fully 120Hz capable TVs wont work, it just means they may not have been tested and certified.

The old ones I had years ago with my crt used to give me a splitting headache within 20 minutes of use. I ended up just throwing them out.

The old ones I had years ago with my crt used to give me a splitting headache within 20 minutes of use. I ended up just throwing them out.

Pity, those same glasses may work ok now with these new tellies and with a CRT.
The early drivers werent very good and didnt allow you to synchronise the image planes properly and this did result in fatigue.
The Stereo drivers NVidia currently produce are a lot better.

Modern glasses have bigger panels which does make them easier to use so its worth getting a modern pair of glasses anyway :)

hmm, i suppose before investing in this (not that i would) i would need to see a review of the monitor first as most claims are not backed up with fact.

What NVIDIA really needs is pink colored glasses (especially when looking at the financial statement). ;)

So, they don't mention my TV but it's a 52" Samsung with 120 Hz screen...would it work?

What I saw at Nvision was really awesome. The 3d demo's were great but what looked especially amazing was Age of Empires 3. Other 3d systems (IZ3D and Zalman) were unfocused (albiet I saw them last over a year ago) but the active and passive glasses from Nvidia were dead on.

But I assume after long periods of use, discomfort would begin by having my Sennheiser headphones pushing down on the glasses.

This is awesome, I'll definitely be following it's development :).

Back