nView and SLI

karoth

Gawd
I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Using only the two cards in sli, can a person run quad monitors ?

I wouldnt think so as only one of the monitors in SLI is the one that actually sends a signal to monitor. but I cant be 100% as I have not tried it :).

That adds one less reason for me to buy a sli setup. But I have to wonder, would quad monitor work without turning on sli ? Just using two independent video cards. Then you could turn on SLI to game. If this were workable it wouldn't matter if SLI supports nView, as long as SLI is easy to turn on/off.

If SLI is off you can run four displays at once. Even the fastest vid cards these days only use up a small portion of the bandwidth provided by PCI express. Therefore, on an SLI board you can run two cards at full speed, both running dual monitors. Pretty sweet. If you had four LCD screens you could set up some really cool display combinations. DFI is coming out with an nForce4 Ultra board with dual video card slots too.

karoth said:
That adds one less reason for me to buy a sli setup. But I have to wonder, would quad monitor work without turning on sli ? Just using two independent video cards. Then you could turn on SLI to game. If this were workable it wouldn't matter if SLI supports nView, as long as SLI is easy to turn on/off.

You got it, it will run 4 monitors, just fine.. with SLI disabled. Then enable it and one monitor will be good to go for gaming.

==>Lazn

Oh yeah, and on the new Radeon Xpress boards that have built-in graphics, you can use the onboard video and a graphics card at the same time. So probably with their SLI system you can use five monitors at once. The boards actually have vga AND dvi ports on them so maybe you can run dual monitors off the mobo too for a total of six monitors! The DFI nF4 SLI and Ultra boards have a 4x slot too which is more than enough for most video cards. On those you could run three graphics cards and six monitors! Or perhaps you could do SLI and then have an extra video card in the 4x slot thus having SLI and support for three monitors (this might be less likely though). Man, this is getting crazy!

...or just use a 6800 Ultra side-by-side with an X850XTPE without SLI, and not have to worry about optimizations or the 2% lead each company has in its share of games...

mavalpha said:
...or just use a 6800 Ultra side-by-side with an X850XTPE without SLI, and not have to worry about optimizations or the 2% lead each company has in its share of games...

Heh... great post! :cool:

mavalpha said:

I actually thought about that earlier today. Have you're X850XT-PE for HL2 and your 6800Ultra PCI-E for Doom 3. Isn't technology grand? :D

I would have serious doubts that would actually work due to driver conflicts, but hey you never know till you try.

Back