NVsilencer for 7900GTX !!!!

Tripp17

Gawd
Hey everyone, i oredered a nvsilencer rev 3 for my dads 6800GT and i noticed that it appeared to be able to fit my 7900GTX. So i tested my theory and to my surprize, it worked.....like a charm. I know the stock heatsink is very good, but it doesnt blow ALL the hot air outside the case and its not as quiet either. I think im gonna buy one and replace my stock heatsink, and i wanted the people in here to know about this. The wierd part is that the NVsilencer even had the plug type for the 7900GTX which is a 4 pronged fan plug, as opposed to the 6800 series 2 pronged fan plug( it has both). Makes me wonder if at some point they werent planning on selling those heatsinks for the 7900GTX, before the terriable X2s came out.

I'd like to see some temps once you get it working. I have a Small Form Factor computer and would love to get the temps and noise down.

It will perform worse than the stock 7900GTX cooler. Also, it is taller by about 3 mm's.

ArticCooling FTL!
rolleyes.gif

I REALLY dont think it would out perform the NVsilencer....what, because it has "heatpipes", lol......Im gonna say that not only will it cool better, but it should be quieter. I know everyone says the stock is quiet, yes, compaired to the X1900XTX, but for quiet freaks like me, its not quiet enough. Plus, all the hot air is removed from your case, not just half the hot air. Im going for it, i just wanted people to know so they have the option, im not here to debate what is better.

ill post back and let you know how i made out, only thing is i plan on modding the heatsink. But for our purposes, i will bench and test temps before i mod it. See if you were right. I take a grinder and take off the fan and put a 80mm fan on top the heatsink. I seal it off so it still takes the hot air and pushes it out the case. I hook up the 80mm fan to a fan controller so its wisper quite and it performs better too.

Tripp17 said:
Hey everyone, i oredered a nvsilencer rev 3 for my dads 6800GT and i noticed that it appeared to be able to fit my 7900GTX. So i tested my theory and to my surprize, it worked.....like a charm. I know the stock heatsink is very good, but it doesnt blow ALL the hot air outside the case and its not as quiet either. I think im gonna buy one and replace my stock heatsink, and i wanted the people in here to know about this. The wierd part is that the NVsilencer even had the plug type for the 7900GTX which is a 4 pronged fan plug, as opposed to the 6800 series 2 pronged fan plug( it has both). Makes me wonder if at some point they werent planning on selling those heatsinks for the 7900GTX, before the terriable X2s came out.

on mine its 4 pronged, but only 2 wires running to it. and the fan doesnt work on mine...

how many wires running to the connector does it have?

We wnat pix :p :p Seriously..these things run pretty damn cool as is with stock cooling..I really cant see the NV5 making much if any difference..I had a 7800 GTX 500/1300 stock cooled and it would hit 80c in RTHDRIBL..The NV5 kept it at 63-65c.My 7900GTX doesent exceed 50c in RTHDRIBL and 40c at idle..But hey..Im interested to see your results..

Back