NYPD to Start Testing Body Cameras on Police Officers

Look, I'm not researching a dissertation here, I'm looking for easily digestible stats on a casual message board. Further, a lot of major population data such as this is a few years behind; Wikipedia only has 2010 data for each state.

It's doubtful there has been a drastic change in the past 2 years. And attacking the presenter, as you so often do, is a logical fallacy. Those are FBI statistics; Arizona's stats were from 2012.

TwistedAegis, I am just asking a simple question and I am not attacking you, (although I don't think much of the Guardian). You are very correct that data is often years old so 2011 is not an unreasonable point in time. The big place I was going to go is that the data is from the very beginning, if not before, the changes in Arizona's law. It will take a few years before we can get data to see the trends and judge the effects for good or ill.

By TwistedAegis;
And attacking the presenter, as you so often do, is a logical fallacy.

I don't think I attack the presenter nearly as often as I am attacked. Either I am a Government Shill, or I have relatives in Law Enforcement, or whatever tag someone lays upon my head. What people continually miss is that I am in fact extremely critical of the media and their motivations and how readily people simple accept what they are told by these people who are at best, incompetent and at worst, liars. I point out the falseness in their reporting and suddenly I support every shitty misdeed the subject of the article ever perpetrated through all history.

Pfffft! Its so scary its actually funny, but a San Diego school district has acquired a MRAP:
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/sep/09/san-diego-unified-got-armored-vehicle-under-milita/

For those that don't know, this is the military's answer to warzones where lots of roadside bombs may be encountered. Now, I know what you're thinking, "FINALLY the San Diego school district has a solution to this problem", since they have always had such a problem with IEDs.

So forget the militarization of police, how about the militarization of the public school system. Your tax dollars hard at work!!!

300px-FPCougar.jpg

School motto: "Read or Die, Motherfucker! Read or Die!"

Can't wait until the first terrorist figures out that all he needs to do is steal the keys to the MRAP, and he can go on a rampage crashing through the walls crushing hundreds of kids on a rampage. Personally, I don't think we should get too worried though until school districts start being given free military surplus tactical nukes.

An initial testing on 60 of New York’s finest may lead to having body cameras become an everyday part of the uniform for NYPD officers. Good idea or not?
Horrible idea imo. It's not a major step from this (legally at least) to 24/7 surveillance of all public land. Welcome to The Truman Show.

Pfffft! Its so scary its actually funny, but a San Diego school district has acquired a MRAP:
http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/sep/09/san-diego-unified-got-armored-vehicle-under-milita/

For those that don't know, this is the military's answer to warzones where lots of roadside bombs may be encountered. Now, I know what you're thinking, "FINALLY the San Diego school district has a solution to this problem", since they have always had such a problem with IEDs.

So forget the militarization of police, how about the militarization of the public school system. Your tax dollars hard at work!!!

300px-FPCougar.jpg

School motto: "Read or Die, Motherfucker! Read or Die!"

Can't wait until the first terrorist figures out that all he needs to do is steal the keys to the MRAP, and he can go on a rampage crashing through the walls crushing hundreds of kids on a rampage. Personally, I don't think we should get too worried though until school districts start being given free military surplus tactical nukes.
Yeah, that one is a bit bizarre.

@evilsofa: Whatever that's supposed to mean. You're saying it's a great idea for all of us to become the next featured victim on "Cops".

@evilsofa: Whatever that's supposed to mean. You're saying it's a great idea for all of us to become the next featured victim on "Cops".

Evils oaf is correct. You've completely missed the point - even though its been pointed out several times in this thread.

Evils oaf is correct. You've completely missed the point - even though its been pointed out several times in this thread.
Humor me. How are my posts unrelated to the OP? I wasn't responding to anything else.

Humor me. How are my posts unrelated to the OP? I wasn't responding to anything else.

Police body cams are for surveillance of the police, not civilians. Why do you think the police are fighting so hard against them?

Just look at robble; he disagrees with my other posts in this thread so much that he's come up with a snarky misspelling of my nick, but even he agrees with me.

Police body cams are for surveillance of the police, not civilians. Why do you think the police are fighting so hard against them?

Just look at robble; he disagrees with my other posts in this thread so much that he's come up with a snarky misspelling of my nick, but even he agrees with me.

Actually, the name was a pure typo from posting from my phone. Didn't even realize it until you pointed it out. Now that I see it though, it is kind of funny.

JeffDC - I have to agree with with evils oaf again :p. - the cameras are more for our protection. Sure, they will also help the police but not enough that they want the cameras.

The supposed purpose of the cameras is a separate issue, unrelated to mine. I'm becrying NY's justice system being converted nto a never-ending episode of "Cops". How much of the recorded video from these cameras does not include members of the public?

Yup, although in their defense we should let it be known in advance that we will be tolerant of honest mistakes. People don't like to be micromanaged by their bosses at work, and I think many officers are afraid that if they say or do the tiniest thing wrong, the freedom of information act will have their faces plastered on youtube for humiliation and go viral overnight.

Fact is though, as body cams become commonplace, people simply won't care about minor issues and as long as the cops are blatantly power tripping, lying, or breaking the law as a means to an end they have nothing to worry about.

Once implemented though, one very important thing we need to see though is enforcement so an officer doesn't "accidentally" knock it off his body or forget to turn it on, when he's pissed off and decides to enact some street justice or pocket drug money and the like. And we need to make sure that unlike our federal government, we can't let them continue to get away with "we lost the hard drive" excuse.

Back