NZXT Rogue SFF Case AM3 Build

The DFI one is the only AM3 one I've ever seen. Though the biggest potential issue with it is the PCIe x16 slots are only electrical x8.

Might it make more sense to get a single x16 board and just upgrade to a newer card when the card you get is starting to get too slow for newer games?

I say potential problem as it always depends on what keeps happening with technology and how long you keep your computers for.

I'm remembering something talking about I think it was 4870's that there was only a 2% drop or so in FPS going from dual x16 to x8.

Though I'd still think you'd be better off both performance and cash wise to buy one card now and just buy a new one in 2 years or whenever it starts to get too slow as that card will most likely be faster than 2x 4870's. But not my build and we may look at things completely differently.

I found a couple of boards that support AM3 and dual x16 slots (physically, same chipset as DFI):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153152
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813153142

Does this chipset support hybrid crossfire? If they do, you can get a small boost from the onboard video chipset if you don't have a second card installed.

I don't think they're actually dual x16s:

The first link lists this for x16: "2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots by 8-LANE"

The second link lists: "2 (8-LANE)"

I'm imagine they're saying that while electrically each one is an x16 lane, having both occupied results in them being x8.

x8 is fine though because the performance drop is negligible. Would it be a wise move to go with the cheaper jetway motherboards over the DFI ?
Or are you getting what you pay for in the DFI, overclocking wise i mean.

Review on the DFI:
Cons: Not worth a ***t for overclocking. Tried AMDs utility for overclocking (waist of time) and DFIs support forum more or less says that utility is a joke.
Cannot overclock my 810 much past 10%. Very disappointed but not surprised.
I took off two eggs because of the lack of overclocking.
Another...
Cons: -this is the THIRD TIME I've decided to try DFI, and the THIRD TIME i've gotten a DOA board. This time, it was a borked northbridge. Thanks for the quality build, DFI.

DFI has shoddy quality control, I would trust Jetway sooner. Have owned 4 DFI boards in my lifetime - all had problems. 2 Jetways - no problems.

Back