NZXT Source 210's lack of dust filter

Jon55

2[H]4U
So I picked this case up on sale a while back and just got around to opening it up. I like it, but (and I feel stupid for not realizing this sooner) I found that while it does have a bottom-mounted PSU slot, there is no dust filter covering it. This concerns me, as I don't want my new SeaSonic PSU collecting dust since it's going to have to live on the floor.

Again, I feel stupid for not catching that sooner, but it's already too late at this point. So is there anything I could do as far as preventing dust getting sucked into the PSU or even doing a DYI dust filter? I sent NZXT an email over a week ago voicing my concerns but haven't heard anything back (probably never will).

If you maintain positive air pressure in the case that should help with dust build-up. I'm not sure what you could do beyond that.

If it's intaking air straight from the bottom, I don't think it matters whether you have + or - air pressure in the case, i believe it makes it independent from internal air flow.

I guess if your in a pinch, I've heard of using material from fine ladies stockings :D. Atleast in the meantime while you look for a dedicated filter designed for the job.

Or how about just flipping the psu over (fan facing into the case)?

If it's intaking air straight from the bottom, I don't think it matters whether you have + or - air pressure in the case, i believe it makes it independent from internal air flow.

That's right, in this specific configuration the PSU should be intaking air with it's fan from below, with the fan only functioning as needed/always active depending on the model of PSU in question. The air would then be passing through the PSU and out the back of the case.

Or how about just flipping the psu over (fan facing into the case)?

Yep, that's what I was going to suggest. Just make sure you case isn't dusty inside from other factors or you are back to your original dilemma. :D

Back