O/Cing the A64 3000+

Gorebag

Weaksauce
heres my new setup:
a64 3000+ newcastle with STOCK cooling
MSI K8N Neo PE.
512mb Corsair XMS3700 memory
ATI 9800 pro 128mb non o/c.

ok. ive managed to hit 10x215fsb with mem timings at 2.5-4-4-7. When i try to up the FSB anything above this, Winxp gives me BSOD and ram dumps. i currently have 18,860 3d2001se marks, and i am trying to reach the 20k to be satisfied. What can help me get this speed up? does my mobo already have the pci/agp lock enabled? do i need to raise the Voltage on the CPU or the Mem? what can i doo?

bump::

just installed the new v1.2 motherboard bios, same results. what could i do to get a better overclock? i think i might be getting some data corruption, i couldnt join any servers in UT2004 b/c of file errors, and now when i try to run 3dmark2001se, it quits out of the program within a couple tests.

you need to increase the vcore as there isnt enough voltage going to the cpu to keep up with the increased speed

you will get higher temps though so keep an eye on it especially with that stock hs

bump
what about messing with the HT setting, like setting it to 3x, and then setting the ram to 166mhz and increasing the FSB to like 250?

I had the same problem as you do, I got rid of it setting the vcore to 1.75 and messing with the ram timings you should also set the HT to 600mhz.

its possible just try, Im running my a64 3000+ @ 10x250 right now. My cpu is getting a little hot on my 90mm papst fan as it only has about 2500rpm I need to get a new fan and this problem should be fix other then temp my system is rock stable.

MisterEd said:
I had the same problem as you do, I got rid of it setting the vcore to 1.75 and messing with the ram timings you should also set the HT to 600mhz.

its possible just try, Im running my a64 3000+ @ 10x250 right now. My cpu is getting a little hot on my 90mm papst fan as it only has about 2500rpm I need to get a new fan and this problem should be fix other then temp my system is rock stable.

sounds nice. Ive currently got the HT setting at 3x, FSB at 282mhz and mult at 8.0x, its running at 2.25 with the ram at 187mhz, 3-3-3-8 settings (corsair xms3700 pro). what kind of memory do you have that is able to run at such speeds? since im doing my overclock in this manner right now, my ram is at 187mhz.

What was the stock setting for the HT on that motherboard? was it 600 or 800mhz?

If it was 600, you might want to drop the multiplier of the HT down to 2.5 to try and keep it closer to stock. Having it over stock can cause instability in that which doesn't affect performance hardly at all.

You also might want to try the multiplier of 9x246+ and set your ram at 166 in the bios.

This will give you 2200+ with the ram running at ~200 mhz. And of course in that benchmark ram latencies do affect performance.

I don't know the stock values for your ram, but if it can do 2-3-3-12 those would be better.

wewt, im climbing the ladder.
so far, i am running with HTx4, 10x235=2350mhz. corsair pc3700xms ram @ 3-3-3-8. stock cooling, temp around 50*C. the mem is at 166mhz clock but since it is o/ced it is around 195mhz right now. i cant seem to get better results when i leave the mem:fsb at 1:1. Does anyone think that maybe some OCZ pc3700EB ram could make my system run at this speed or higher with 1:1fsb ratio?

btw, how do you check to see if your processor is a C0 or CG model? when i run cpu-z, the revision display is plain blank.

Gorebag said:
wewt, im climbing the ladder.
so far, i am running with HTx4, 10x235=2350mhz. corsair pc3700xms ram @ 3-3-3-8. stock cooling, temp around 50*C. the mem is at 166mhz clock but since it is o/ced it is around 195mhz right now. i cant seem to get better results when i leave the mem:fsb at 1:1. Does anyone think that maybe some OCZ pc3700EB ram could make my system run at this speed or higher with 1:1fsb ratio?

btw, how do you check to see if your processor is a C0 or CG model? when i run cpu-z, the revision display is plain blank.

All True newcastles are CG

And you will most likely have trouble running a 1:1 with anything over 215 HTT

These arent like the old AXPs that used to do horrible with dividors. You are not losing much of anything when running the ram out of sync.

Also, if you are just concerned about your 3dmark scores. OC'ing your video card will give you really good results.

I am currently running my 64 3000+ on a KV8Pro at 10x240 without any problems. I haven't even tried to push higher since I am currently still using stock cooling. In a couple weeks I will be installing one of these:

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/comboCool/cl-p0024tower112/cl-p0024tower112.htm

And once I do that I will actually start to try to take this CPU as high as it will go.

I would say 240 on stock cooling is pretty damn good though. ;)
Gives me high hope for the overall overclockability of this CPU.

I am currently running my RAM at a base of 166 which equals about 195 with this FSB. However earlier I was running it at a 200 base while running at 220FSB, so it was running 220 as well, and it had no problems with Prime95 at that speed. So that means my RAM should be able to handle an OC as high as 265 without difficulty.

i just got a Thermaltake Tower 112 copper cooler with 2 80mm fans. Getting some OCZ ram online, the pc3700 EB module. does anybody know where to buy a single 512mb stick of this ram?(not dual channel)

Gorebag said:
sounds nice. Ive currently got the HT setting at 3x, FSB at 282mhz and mult at 8.0x, its running at 2.25 with the ram at 187mhz, 3-3-3-8 settings (corsair xms3700 pro). what kind of memory do you have that is able to run at such speeds? since im doing my overclock in this manner right now, my ram is at 187mhz.
Im running 2x 512MB Corsair XMS-3200XLPro, my timmings are 2-3-3-5 with the ram 1:1 at 204mhz.

@dekar the ht is default at 800mhz

Back