Oblivion Bare Bones

zone_86

[H]ard|Gawd
Like the title, there are so many mods for oblivion it's unreal, and my wife is the one that usually plays it (I'm nearly exclusively an FPS'er) but even she plays it with just the normal patch (only mod I added was the color map mod). Now for myself since I'm about to install this game on my machine I would like to know a very good balance with the fewest mods installed possible but to have a fairly good improvement over the basic game with just the patch installed. The mods start to boggle my mind when I look at the list it's quite daunting determine what to install if anything? Can a few Oblivion experts help a noobster (with this game) out?

Quick tech specs
-----------------------------
E6600
X1950XTX
Gigabyte DS3

Qarls texture pack
Natural Environments
OOO
Illumination within / illumination without
Any of the distant LOD replacements

Thanks for the reply :) . I'll load it up with that config and see how it runs. By default I know with my setup it should run well anyway but the sheer numbers of mods for his game is astounding.

there´s a sticky in Computer Games there u can find a the friggin mods u would ever want !! i´m still downloading and testing ALL the mods, it´s almost like a full time job !

there´s a sticky in Computer Games there u can find a the friggin mods u would ever want !! i´m still downloading and testing ALL the mods, it´s almost like a full time job !

Among several "What are the best mods in Oblivion?" threads.

It is hard to say what would be good for you since each mod differs. Instead of OOO, you may like Fran's mod which many do (Link). Instead of Natural Environments (which uses scripts that cause slowdowns), some may prefer AWS.

Everyone can agree on Qarl's texture pack #3 though. :)

Also, I recommend these for sure.

Unique Landscapes, watch out, a couple conflict with KOTN (Link)
MMM (Link)
Unofficial Patch... fixed what Bethesda should've already fixed (Link)
Denock Arrows (Link)

@ OP, What kind of improvments over stock are you looking for? Gamplay improvements, or visual improvments?

The most common replies you will get will be for visual improvements. If you're looking for gameplay improvements, I am loving these two mods:

-Francesco's
-MMM for francesco's

For me, the bottom line is that Oblivion's stock leveling system really sucks. So I always make sure to use some sort of leveling mod. I've used others, but Francesco's has been my favorite so far. MMM just adds new kinds of enemies or wild life (not all new creatures are hostile). Both these mods are pretty big but they make the game 100x more fun. Way more alchemical ingredients are available. You can make your own arrows, leather, armor, etc.... Pretty fun stuff, and I'm only getting started.

Alright, specifically what I was looking for was trying not to use too many mods but get a moderate amount of visual enhancement. To me it just makes sense that too many mods might adversely affect gameplay or system responsiveness (depending). Also, like another poster above alluded to I didn't want it to turn into a full time job just to figure out what mods to run for this game - that more than anything was kind of what turned me off from even playing this game in the first place seeing people spends days-weeks-months sometimes just trying to find combination that works for them before they can even enjoy playing the game.

I have three weeks vacation from my regular job even though I have 3 systems to finish and benchmark and deliver for customers in that time I will pretty much have some spare time on my hands and I thought I would finally give this game a try for myself all the way through (eventually), and as always I highly respect many of the opinions and diverse opinions in all forums here at [H] so I thought some of you Oblivion experts might shed some light, and I do thank you guys for the responses I will definitely try them out. FWIW wanted to have no more than 3-4 mods at best to keep it simple if I could.

I havent played Oblivion in a while, but when I did BTmod was an absolute must for pc gamers, what it did was remove the "consolitis" from the in game windows (like inventory, attributes, maps etc), it was extremely helpful.

I'd go for BTMod, OOO, and Mighty Bows as basic stuff. Never got into oblivion before whacking at least those three in.

I use: Landscape LOD replacement, Landscape LOD replacement (border regions), Normal Map LOD Replacement, Better Grass Without Tiling, and No More Annoying Messages.

Back