Oblivion Sound Problems

I sometimes have sound stuttering issues Oblivion that is annoying me. It seems like when repeatedly doing some actions (such as swinging a weapon), that the sound will cut off a split second while the action is performing. The result is usally awkward as it is pure silent while my character is swinging a weapon.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in the ini as well as disabling the music. Both didn't help at all.

Is anyone having any sound anamolies like this as well?

If you are going to ask for help at least tell us what soundcard you have. I use an X-Fi XtremeMusic and have no such issue in Oblivion. If you are using some cheap and nasty onboard sound solution then I suggest you get yourself an X-Fi.

YesI actually do have onboard sound with a DS3. I've never been an audio freak but I guess I'm feeling the repurcussions of it. What's a good sound card I can pick up that is not too expensive just to test it out.

You don't need to piss your money away on an X-Fi, jsut pick up your typical $30 or so Live!/Audigy card, it'll be far better than onboard and you'll be fine.

The Live was flaky, yes, I had one, I had the Audigy2 also (it's decent gamer's card). Maybe the Live has been updated hardware wise since then, I don't know, but an X-Fi XtremeMusic or XtemeGamer is not too much more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102006

Here's an OEM Audigy2 if the X-Fi is more than you want to spend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102179R

p.s. with the Live I got the same stuttering issues in some games that he describes.

I too am getting crackling and glitching in Oblivion. Its since I installed a new mobo and Im using onboard sound.

No problems here with an Audigy 2. I'd ditch the onboard sound, you may get a little performance boost taking the sound off the motherboard too

Old as the hills SBLive! 5.1 OEM here, with the original 2001 vintage drivers. Worked lovely on Oblivion and all the modern fun. Great sound quality on winamp and mplayer.

The only game that has given me trouble is a console port funnily enough -- GTA: San Andreas. That game acts as if it's running a hundred sound channels, and I can only hear the first five.

quicksilverXP said:
I sometimes have sound stuttering issues Oblivion that is annoying me. It seems like when repeatedly doing some actions (such as swinging a weapon), that the sound will cut off a split second while the action is performing. The result is usally awkward as it is pure silent while my character is swinging a weapon.

I've tried disabling hardware acceleration in the ini as well as disabling the music. Both didn't help at all.

Is anyone having any sound anamolies like this as well?

Do you have FFDSHOW installed? if so, make sure you have the latest build as some older builds have issues with FFDSHOW and Oblivion with the latest patch. But later builds have an option to disable ffdshow with certain applications such as Oblivion (Oblivion is one of the default programs). The option may have been in other builds but i never checked.

Back