OC isn't working out at all

waltherone

Gawd
Machine specs are in my sig... Not sure what's going on exactly.

Per the methods of the OCing guide Eclipse posted, I've taken the CPU up to 2885 (prime small FFT stable), the memory up to 310mhz (memtest stable) and the HTT up to 335 (prime small FFT stable). The memory and HTT I just stopped going up at those points, just wanted some rough numbers to start.

The problem is this: If I leave CPU multi at 9x, and set fsb to 250mhz, it won't even boot to windows, it just reboots or hangs and never reaches the windows logo screen.

About the best I've gotten so far is cpu multi at 7x, memory on the 180mhz divider, and fsb at 250ish. It booted, I tried to run superpi 1m, and i started getting a bunch of static through the speakers, and the machine locked up (still making all the static through the speakers).

What the hell is going on? I've never encountered that AT ALL before.

Each component (cpu, memory, htt) seems capable of high speeds individually, but when I put them all together, they can barely even inch above stock without crashing.

Also, even at stock settings, half the time I try to run superpi even a basic 16k test, it gives me the error Not Convergent in SQR05, and sometimes just crashes with the Error/Send/Don't send error box. Anything above 1m in super pie just give sme the "Not Exact in Round" error.

What in the world is going on, anyone have a CLUE?

Haha, I just tried to run Prime95 blended test, it immediately started scrolling "ILLEGAL SUM ERROR: POSSIBLE HARDWARE FAILURE, CONSULTE README.TXT" down the prime95 window.

What do you guys think... bad cpu?

Everything was bought new except the ram and cpu, cpu was from ebay, ram was from a guy on here who's pretty standup..

My benchmarks in 3dmark05 and 06 were pretty low from the getgo as well, compared to those that I've been seeing in the "Post your benchmarks" threads on this forum.... SOMETHING is definitely wrong.

Try running Prime 95 at stock settings and see what happens. If you get errors on stock settings, then there's a good possibility that you have a bad cpu/ram or even a flaky PSU.

What type of cooling are you using? How much voltage are you pushing through the chip/ram? Did you do a fresh install of XP?

when you do the blend test it tests the ram also, memtest doesn't always mean its windows stable

freeloader1969 said:
Try running Prime 95 at stock settings and see what happens. If you get errors on stock settings, then there's a good possibility that you have a bad cpu/ram or even a flaky PSU.

What type of cooling are you using? How much voltage are you pushing through the chip/ram? Did you do a fresh install of XP?

Cooling is a scythe ninja with a good flowing 120mm fan on it, it idles in the mid-low 20's and the prime95 load i was able to give it two days ago, it never went over 33c. Voltage was stock for a while, while trying to OC it a bit I upped it up to 1.45 at one point, that didn't help so I moved it back down. Ram voltage is high, 2.9v. It would never even boot at 2.8v for some reason, but 2.9v everything was fine, I was doing 3dmark benches and prime95 and all... till today when the whole thing just kinda took a dump on me.

The ram is really seeming like the culprit... the PSU is brand new as well, and all voltages show well in smartguardian, even when benching/priming.

2.9v on the RAM is pretty high...

I have a 144 just like you but I have it on a DFI expert w/ 2x1gig Corsair XMS...heres what I got...

144 @ 2.82 ghz 1.52vcore prime stable for more than 24hours.

What are your timings for your RAM? I currently got mine a 3-4-7-3, I can boot into windows @ 3.0 with 3-3-5-3 150 devider...but not prime stable...

Try running 1 stick of RAM instead...see what happens. Run it on stock first, prime it for an hour then go from there...Place the stick of ram in one of the orange slots and set it for 150 devider...

wait a sec...your ram is DDR500? hmm that maybe too high...It says on the DFI website that ultra d is compatable with ddr266, ddr333, and ddr400 but it didnt say anything about ddr500...that may very well be the root of your problems..make sure you under clock it i guess...

junebug said:
wait a sec...your ram is DDR500? hmm that maybe too high...It says on the DFI website that ultra d is compatable with ddr266, ddr333, and ddr400 but it didnt say anything about ddr500...that may very well be the root of your problems..make sure you under clock it i guess...

this is not your problem. Doesnt even make sense really. Although DFI's can be picky with memory rarely having memory that is too fast will cause a problem. You are using a divider(or atleast tried to) so that would have effectivly run the memory at a slower speed.

BigTaf said:
this is not your problem. Doesnt even make sense really. Although DFI's can be picky with memory rarely having memory that is too fast will cause a problem. You are using a divider(or atleast tried to) so that would have effectivly run the memory at a slower speed.

Right... it's DDR500, but I've been running it at DDR400 speeds since day one.

I'd try adjusting some memory settings in the bios, it sounds like they aren't setup properly giving errors, what timings are you running? those ballistix sticks are pretty notorius for dying, I went through 3 sets before getting some that ran stock without errors

The stock timings are set (it's still set on auto as far as the timings, and in cpuz they show the stock timings), only thing there is to change really is voltage, or put it on a divider, but even still, I shouldn't have to put memory on a divider to run a 200mhz HTT speed.

Looks like the memory is the culprit... chauk up another dead/dying set of crucial ballistix for the books I suppose. I yanked the memory from my sister's new machine (1gb corsair value select ddr400) and put it in... with the ballistix in, I could run super pi 1m right after a cold startup, I guess once they get even SLIGHTLY warm, they start erring though. And I still never could boot at anything below 2.9v on the ballistix, at all stock settings mind you. Booted up like a charm with her corsair value ram in there at 2.6v, and just ran super pi 1m and 2m back to back, no errors at all. About to run 32m, if it passes that... time to order some G.Skill I guess. Those seem to have good responses :)

The ballistix memory I have get EXTREMELY hot @ 2.75v. I would not be too suprised if heat is the issue. - I can only imagine how hot they get at 2.9

MyWingnuts said:
The ballistix memory I have get EXTREMELY hot @ 2.75v. I would not be too suprised if heat is the issue. - I can only imagine how hot they get at 2.9

I never was comfy giving them that much voltage, but fact is, they just wouldn't even make it into windows without that voltage, I think it was just a crutch for their partially broken leg that was breaking more and more by the minute :(

How is crucial's warranty? They don't sell this stuff anymore obviously, and I bought it used, I'm second owner..?

you should be able to RMA them if need be, however, check temps first, i'd seriously consider using a fan ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
you should be able to RMA them if need be, however, check temps first, i'd seriously consider using a fan ;)

I'd have no problem using a fan on my ram if that would solve it, but don't you still think something is definitely wrong if, even in the morning when its nice and cool in the house and the machine has been off all night, it won't even boot to windows at 2.8 vdimm? Won't even load the windows logo screen usualy, and if it does, it blue screens shortly thereafter. And with my sister's cheap value ram at 2.6 volts, it runs super pi 32m to completion and prime95 until I got tired of looking at the screen :p

Also, I just realized I've been saying "stock speeds" all this time... this is DDR500 ballistix, and I've been running it at DDR400 speeds all the time, which is what I meant by "stock" speeds. At ddr500 speeds, it won't even boot with the 180 divider in place.

Yeah something is up with the sticks, Crucial is very good when it comes to replacing defective parts. You should be able to RMA the sticks with no issue. PER THEIR WEBSITE:

We understand that purchasing computer hardware can be a frustrating process. That's why all of our memory products are backed by a limited lifetime warranty. Use the Crucial Memory Selector to find the right memory upgrade for your computer, and we guarantee that your memory will be compatible with your system and give you the performance boost you're looking for. In the unlikely event that your module is defective or you are not happy with the performance of the memory please call us! We will happily replace it at any time. For more detailed information on our warranty, click here. To find out how to contact a Crucial Memory Expert by phone or online, click here.

Yeah, gonna call them tomorrow if I have time. I really wanted to use these, but if their failure rate is as bad as everyone keeps saying... :-/

Back