OC Q6600 vs SSE4

E Blade

n00b
Might seem like a dumb question, but I want to know your ideas on this. Let's say there was a encoding program that fully supported SSE4. The video to be encoded is any random format at least 30 minutes long. Now at stock the Q9300 with SSE4 is suppose to have a 30%-50% increase in performance right? Now what if that same program was used on a highest overclocked on air Q6600. Which CPU would fastest at completing the encoding process?

I ask because I wanted a Q9450, but don't look like I'm gonna get it. I can't wait any longer and that Q6600 is very tempting. But it has no SSE4! :(

o shit. same kind of situation has me then. but im gunna get the q6600 though and after maybe 2 years get the q9450 which should be peanut prices if u ask me

Two years from now you won't be buying a Q9450. Especially not if you're already using a Q6600.

Do you see people who bought X2 3800+ two years ago buying X2 4600+ now?
Nope.

I'm in about the same boat. Still have my Athlon 3000+ on an Nforce 2 board. Lookin at a 650i SLI + Q6600. Seems to do the trick and I've heard some sketchy things on the Q9450. I like buying a chip that's been around a few months with a rock solid reputation.

I bought my x2 3800+ two years ago and I am NOT upgrading to another s939 chip. Waiting for the q9450's to drop.. sigh losing patience... must perservere

4-6yrs before you do the next upgrade....your computer will be kinda obsoleted by then :D IMO. Intel Nehalem is on the horizon, possiblely in 2009.

You shouldn't compare Q9450, 2.66Ghz with Q6600, 2.40Ghz, you should compare Q9300, 2.50Ghz with Q6600 though. Because Q9450 is much faster and have 12mb cache.

Q6600 8mb, 9x multiplier cache is under $250
Q9300 6mb 7.5x multiplier cache is around $300-$350

If you are already have Q6600 then don't bother to upgrade to Q9xxx. Only 10%-20% increased in the performance. For best value and performances then you should get Q6660, you will have more head room for overclocking (if you're going too). You can get it up to 3.6ghz easily or even 3.8ghz as well. To get Q9xxx up to 3.6ghz or beyond, you must have x38, x48 or 780i, 790i board.

You should ask yourself these questions.
Are you going to do a lot of video encoding?.....Are there alot of software using SSE4 instructions at the moment?

I'm in about the same boat. Still have my Athlon 3000+ on an Nforce 2 board. Lookin at a 650i SLI + Q6600. Seems to do the trick and I've heard some sketchy things on the Q9450. I like buying a chip that's been around a few months with a rock solid reputation.

You should buy a cheap AMD dual core now and hold out for Nehalem. It gets me that all of these people are going to be upgrading to a socket that is soon going to be obsolete. If you upgrade when Nehalem is out and the DDR3 prices are cheap you will be set for a couple of years. I mean just look at how long socket 775 has lasted, its been nearly 4 years now.

Two years from now you won't be buying a Q9450. Especially not if you're already using a Q6600.

Do you see people who bought X2 3800+ two years ago buying X2 4600+ now?
Nope.

right, in two years the q9450 might not even exist, it'll all be nehalem.

You should buy a cheap AMD dual core now and hold out for Nehalem. It gets me that all of these people are going to be upgrading to a socket that is soon going to be obsolete. If you upgrade when Nehalem is out and the DDR3 prices are cheap you will be set for a couple of years. I mean just look at how long socket 775 has lasted, its been nearly 4 years now.

yet the first socket 775 intel chipsets wasnt compatible with the core2

yet the first socket 775 intel chipsets wasnt compatible with the core2

The reason being that Core2 was sort of a surprise release that motherboard makers didn't know much about. From the looks of it the new Intel socket will be compatible with Nehalem/Westmere just like how most of the first core2 motherboards support Penryn. You also wouldn't have to buy new RAM.

4-6yrs before you do the next upgrade....your computer will be kinda obsoleted by then :D IMO. Intel Nehalem is on the horizon, possiblely in 2009.

4-6 years is getting rather long in the tooth, but 3-4 years - "obsolete" depends on what you're talking about. It will surely be "obsolete" in that much faster things will be around, but a quad-core processor today is likely to still be holding up pretty well for most day-to-day tasks in that period.

Few people with Core 2 processors will "need" to upgrade to Nehalem when it comes out, because for the most part it won't make a significant difference for the tasks they perform (yes, exceptions exist), but they'll do it anyway because something faster exists. I have no intention of upgrading to Nehalem/Westmere myself; I expect to wait for the Sandy Bridge era before another CPU upgrade (which means a motherboard upgrade, which means a RAM upgrade, so basically a new machine).

The reason being that Core2 was sort of a surprise release that motherboard makers didn't know much about. From the looks of it the new Intel socket will be compatible with Nehalem/Westmere just like how most of the first core2 motherboards support Penryn. You also wouldn't have to buy new RAM.
Read this guys response.

DDR3 won't be replaced quickly but it's going to be very expensive for a good long while. With the release of systems that require it rather than ones that don't have to have it will cause production of it to rise. However, if the demand outstrips the supply, you're going to have prices spiking up.

PCI-e 2.0 probably won't be realized as useful until you go to upgrade to the system after this one. The only exception may be on the x1 and x4 slots but not on the x16 slots. They aren't even close to maxing out an x16 slot with even dual GPU cards at this time. In most cases, have an electrical x8 slot is enough for PCI-e video cards.

The socket for Nehalem will probably be around for a while but the chipsets won't allow you to upgrade to newer processors if Intel's prior examples can be relied upon. I dare you to put a Core2 based CPU in the earlier socket 775 boards and see what happens. It's not going to work. Upgrade path based on socket is a pipe dream.

As I stated above, socket longevity is a useless thing. The socket may be the same but the supporting chipset isn't. Older chipsets don't usually work very well if at all with newer processors.

While DDR3 prices may drop some, I wouldn't expect them to get anywhere near DDR2 prices until DDR3 is close to EOL. The current prices on DDR2 are so low, that manufacturers are practically giving the stuff away. If you ever see that with DDR3, it won't be any time soon.

Most of the reasons I've seen in the thread for waiting don't make much sense. The first Nehalem board you get probably won't support newer processors 1 1/2 years down the line. Look at the number of socket 775 based chipsets and look at how many of them support all the processors. None of the first ones support the current 45nm processors. Yes, you can take the newest chipset and drop any 775 processor onto it, but that's the exact opposite of what we're talking about. When you setup up to a truly new processor, you're going to have to purchase a new motherboard with a new chipset for the most part. Besides that, things such as greed for newer technologies supported in the newer chipsets comes into play.

I found out long ago it's practically useless to futureproof your system. Things always change and many of them will be incompatible in some way with the older stuff. For the most part, I don't worry about it anymore. The new architecture is not right around the corner. It's more likely that while it will probably be available in less than a year, it sure as hell won't be affordable or necessarily ready for mainstream use. As stated before, it was several months after the Core2 line was released that we finally saw some decent motherboards for the platform. Even then, it was months after that before they became truly "affordable" in price. The early motherboards I believe were around $170-$200 and they had a tendency to be buggy and didn't perform very well. It took hardware revisions to the motherboards before they became decent and this was with the mainstream P965 chipset.

The absolute most I would wait on right now is the 45nm Core2's. Besides, it's not like all Core2 processors and motherboards are going to disappear the day Nehalem is released. They won't be the primary focus of Intel anymore but I would be surprised if Intel didn't release new Core2 based processors for at least 6 months after the launch of Nehalem. Look how long Netburst based processors kept being made after Core2 was released. It was a good long time.

Based on previous trends, I wouldn't expect Nehalem based systems to become truly affordable before the summer/fall 2009 timeframe.

Back