Oceanic Time-Warner Cable did not want to give me a cable card for my Ceton tuner....

KnishofDeath

[H]ard|Gawd
I had to argue on the phone with them for a while before they would agree to attempt to come install a cable card.

I am worried this is going to be a whole event when they come to attempt to install this. What should I expect?

I told them I needed an M-Card and they informed me that there were multiple types.

They were also trying to tell me that I would need some sort of "tuner", what in the hell are they talking about?

Apparently if you have a tivo, it goes in between the tivo and the tv.

Anyway, anyone have any experience like this?

Did they call it an SDV adapter? I'd bet that's what they were talking about.

Did they call it an SDV adapter? I'd bet that's what they were talking about.

They didn't specify but I am pretty sure we got it worked out.

Honestly I feel like a noob, but I was not aware that you needed a "tuner" device from the cable company. Seems we got it worked out, although they were still a pain in the ass to deal with.

The literature that comes with the tuner only says "order an (M-Card) cable card", it makes no mention of anything else. I thought you just stuck the cable card in the tuner and that was it. On top of that, apparently there are multiple types of M-Cards, and at first they didn't know what type I needed, but after a bit of digging I think they figured it out.

Haha, oh well. Anything else I should expect when they come to install this thing?

Edit: What does this "tuning" adapter look like? FYI, I ordered two, because apparently each one handles 2 channels

Last edited:
So, just finally got off the phone with them.

We got it all sorted, but one more hiccup of course, the tuning adapter is on backorder, so its going to be a few weeks and they will call me as soon as they become available to set up an appointment

Sucks for you - no espanol or feminine or feminine espanol channels

[edit]

I've been told that some providers require the tuning adapter. I wasn't aware of that. I've changed my post to reflect that.

[/edit]

Last edited:
It's not always for on demand content. Some providers have moved lesser viewed channels to an SDV network.

You don't need a tuning adapter -- it's for on-demand content.

A friend of mine recently ordered a Tivo and Charter made them get a Tuning Adapter, too. You really don't need it -- just the M-Card.

TWC uses SDV, so yes you will need a tuning adaptor.

Last edited:
My understanding is that on-demand content is a no-go either way.

Last edited:
You don't need a tuning adapter -- it's for on-demand content.

A friend of mine recently ordered a Tivo and Charter made them get a Tuning Adapter, too. You really don't need it -- just the M-Card.

Actually, it depends, but quite often you need a tuning adapter even for normal channels. I know I did for a while when using my Tivo until it was finally released.

I could never use on-demand even with a tuning adapter.

interesting.

I wasn't aware of that. I'll edit my message so that it doesn't give someone the wrong impression. I've never heard that anyone needed a tuning adapter to view standard channels.

Pretty sure a lot of Fios' network requires 2 adapters if you want to use all 4 tuners in the Ceton InfiniTV (2 tuners per adapter).

Back