OCing a Athlon XP 2800+

System Specs
  • AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Processor
  • ASUS A7N8X-X nVidia nForce-2 400 FSB 8X AGP w/ USB2.0, LAN, &; AUDIO
  • 512 MB PC3200 400MHz DDR MEMORY
  • 3 Case Fans

Hi, I was wondering what would be a safe speed to overclock my 2800+ with the specs above, and how would I go about doing it?

Thanks

I was gonna ask the same thing, except with my system specs which are in my sig, i also have 3 case fans, 1 intake and 2 exhaust. ive built plenty of computers before but im new to overclocking

I would say it would be safe to run the front side bus up to at least 185 and start there. 180 if yoou want to be more cautious. Then go up 1 mhz at a time, or until you start getting errors on the OS. Mine is happy at about 185 stable.It depends on a lot of things as to how far you can go, so take some time and have fun!

That's about it. Be sure after 180-185 FSB to move it up ONE megahertz at a time and test :) You'll be golden.

ok, i put the fsb on 180 and my comp took forever to boot and wen it finally did, it rest itself, then wen it booted that time the screen was just black and all u could see was the mouse. i left it for a while, and nothing happened, u could move the cursor but ya...that was it. so i turned it off and bak on and it wouldnt even POST, nothing would come up on the screen at all, so after multiple attempts at getting it to boot i just cleared the cmos so i could at least get on and ask about wat its doing or supposed to be doing since my other comps are currently in pieces....

darksbane said:
ok, i put the fsb on 180 and my comp took forever to boot and wen it finally did, it rest itself, then wen it booted that time the screen was just black and all u could see was the mouse. i left it for a while, and nothing happened, u could move the cursor but ya...that was it. so i turned it off and bak on and it wouldnt even POST, nothing would come up on the screen at all, so after multiple attempts at getting it to boot i just cleared the cmos so i could at least get on and ask about wat its doing or supposed to be doing since my other comps are currently in pieces....

Try 175.
Something didn't like being clocked that high.
Check you memory settings, (If it's the stuff in your sig it should be fine but the BIOS settings may be wrong)

xHammerTimex said:
So, I just change my FSB to 180? Do I have to change anything else?

That should so it.
What speed does it POST at?

POST? How do I find that out?

My computer that I mentioned above is in the mail currently, I planned on overclocking it so thats why i asked. Im new to overclocking, but I read ALOT of guides on it.

When you boot it, there are typically white letters on a black screen during the Power On Self Test.

This tells you your BIOS version, CPU type and then usually gives you a peripherals screen, before booting into Windows.

i can run stabily my XP 2700 + tbred at 200 FSB with a multi of 11, but now that i got watercooling from koolance i got it OC'd to 12x for multi and 204 for FSB.

runnin a bit above 2400 mhz

see sig for my oc and cooling. it's pretty obvious that the barton has quite a bit of potential for ocing. i'd say after you run it at 180-185mhz fsb for a while you should be able to run it at 200mhz x 11. even with the stock cooler.

Try 175.
Something didn't like being clocked that high.
Check you memory settings, (If it's the stuff in your sig it should be fine but the BIOS settings may be wrong)

ya, its the stuff in my sig, i'll try putting it at 175 wen i get home and c wat happens...ill also let u know wat the all the bios settings are.

Here is one way to approach it. Make a boot disk of memtest86+, either a floppy or CD-ROM will do. Boot at whichever FSB you wish to start testing. Let memtest86+ run until you are satisfied that its stable then up the FSB a little more and try again. Don't boot into Windows until you are satisfied that the CPU and memory seem to handle that FSB. If you are nervous, you can drop the FSB back a little before booting into Windows.

darksbane said:

One think your probably gonna need to do is start bumping up the core voltage a bit. There is a good chance that the instability at 180 is due to insufficient voltage at that operating frequency. Also you must remember that your multiplier on that chip is 12.5 stock (12.5x166 = 2083 stock). At 180x12.5 your at 2250 about where xp's start to show it is pick of the litter to get a great overclocking chip. But since you have pc3200 and would like to get the most performance out of it your gonna want to run a 200fsb (if not close to it) with your ram synced. Hopefully your cpu is unlocked and you can back your multiplier off a bit to at least 11. You'll probably need about 1.7 volts on the cpu core for stabilty (Maybe even more). I'd say don't exceed 1.75 unless you have great cooling, but most mb's have a 1.8voltage limit anyways. As far as voltage and stability is concerned you need to watch your cpu temps and make sure you don't go above 60C at load (55 would be nice). I would think you should be able to get to stock 3200 speeds (200x11) and go from there if you still see any headroom.

ok, with the Memory frequency set to auto and the agp frequency set to normal, i put the fsb to 175 and it worked, and i got it up to 177 fine, at 178 it would boot to windows and it seemed to run alright, but if it was under any load it reset itself, however, booting into memtest86+ i got it up to 186 alright, after 186 it wouldnt complete the post though and at 189 it would freeze while posting or in the bios. its currently running at 177 fsb, ill try changing the volts when i get home. ive only got the stock cooling on it, what would be a good cooling system for it?

ok, 177 seems to be a bit unstable too, under load for a while it resets as well, and there is no 176 so i dropped it bak to 175 until i have time to try wat megawzrd suggested

Back