OCing first timer: Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB issues

kaluminati

Gawd
I'm new to overclocking, but I've tried to play it safe here. I've been using this as a guide:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-v1-ftopict197995.html

I've got it to boot up almost everytime, and have gone up to 3.2ghz. However it is unstable, and I'm pretty sure it's this ram. I have a big typhoon on the cpu, and the temp rarely goes above 50c, usually around 30-45, during load as well. Right now I'm at around 3.03 ghz, and it's been stable. I've run memtest and it seems okay. But any higher than that, and while testing the memory it either freezes or gives me an error while testing.

I've got the speeds at 5-5-5-12 v2.0. The guide says to put the v at 2.2 or 2.1, but the max for my mobo is 2.1, and I've tried that temp but still the same results. So I've put it back to 2.0 because I know this ram is rated at 1.9? Anyhow, have I gotten those timings wrong? I set the ram to the lowest speed before upping the FSB. DDR2-533.

I'd like to get it up to 3.2ghz, but can this memory seems it just can't take it I guess.

Specs:

Asus P5B P965 Pentium Extreme/Pentium D/P4/Celeron D 1066FSB LGA775 DDR2 + TT Big Typhoon.

Intel® Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe Processor 2.13GHz, 1066FSB

Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4 2GB DDR2-675 XMS2-5400

Neatly layed out Antec p180, plenty of airflow.

2 HDs (one raptor, 1 250GB)

X-fi platinum

Athena Power 550 watt psu (please tell me thats enough)

eVGA 8800GTS

DVD/CDRW combo drive

First of all, Make sure you've locked the PCI and PCIe buses (i'm SURE you have by now, just checking)

Second, you ARE nearing the upper limit for the majority of P5B boards. They're not the perfect overclockers, the -e and -deluxe revisions are much more capable. Your RAM is Also nearing it's potential limit. Most 667 RAM shouldn't run much faster than 820mhz or so.

I see that you're running at 8 x 400 (to get 3200mhz) which is RIGHT on the cusp of the "dead" zone for these boards. Trying to run between 360 and 400 (or so) mhz is really tough on the board. Try jumping up to 405mhz.

Your RAM should be run at 2.1v for any serious overclocking... especially if it's only rated for DDR2-667.

So, try upping the FSB a little bit, running the ram at 2.1v and the 6-6-6-20 timings. If this is stable, we know we've solved the problem. If it's NOT stable, post back and I'll see if I can think of something else.

First of all, Make sure you've locked the PCI and PCIe buses (i'm SURE you have by now, just checking)

Second, you ARE nearing the upper limit for the majority of P5B boards. They're not the perfect overclockers, the -e and -deluxe revisions are much more capable. Your RAM is Also nearing it's potential limit. Most 667 RAM shouldn't run much faster than 820mhz or so.

I see that you're running at 8 x 400 (to get 3200mhz) which is RIGHT on the cusp of the "dead" zone for these boards. Trying to run between 360 and 400 (or so) mhz is really tough on the board. Try jumping up to 405mhz.

Your RAM should be run at 2.1v for any serious overclocking... especially if it's only rated for DDR2-667.

So, try upping the FSB a little bit, running the ram at 2.1v and the 6-6-6-20 timings. If this is stable, we know we've solved the problem. If it's NOT stable, post back and I'll see if I can think of something else.

Yeah I've locked the pci/pci-e. I'll try that out thanks much!

The mobo won't allow me to use those timings, the last one only goes up to 18.

I've tried the new settings with 5-5-5-15 and 5-6-6-18 and 6-6-6-18. FSB 405, and ram 800. vCore 1.375, RAM = v2.1, FSB v1.3

It would constantly freeze up while posting, in bios, or when windows had just loaded up.

Right now I'm at 333mhz and it appears to be stable (it was fine before)

It looks like the RAM is being party pooper here? Or should I up my FSB voltage? I guess I'm happy with 2.6 but I was hoping to get a bit higher.

gotta be the ram here. I upped the FSB to v1.4. Still at 405 (3.2). Mem v2.1 etc

I upped the vcore to 1.4. After that I'd boot into windows just fine, but it would suddenly reboot 15 seconds in. Hmph. I'm at 350 now and it seems to be stable. Maybe I should get some different ram =(

Oh and is it normal for the PC to completely shutdown and restart on it's own when changing BIOS settings? I've never experienced that with a motherboard.

Do I understand it correctly that you are running a 3:2 divider with the FSB at 405? If so, do you realize that puts your memory at DDR1215 aka 605mhz when it was originally rated at 266mhz? You may want to try a 1:1 or a 4:5 if you are using a divider.

I'm not sure what you mean by a 4:5 divider. When I put the FSB at 405, the memory was at dd2-810. I'm obviously missing something here, what is a divider?

I'm running e6400 @ 2.8ghz atm, and cpu-z says it is 1:1 ratio FSB:DRAM. I never checked the ratio when I booted up @ 3.2 but I would think it would be at 1:1 as well. But anyone explain to me how it works? Been trying to figure this out.

Okay so, the ratio is the FSB:DRAM. So it's obvious. When the fsb is at 400 and the ram at 800, the ratio is .... 1:1? Am I getting this right? So when I ran it at 3.2 (405fsb) the memory was at DDR2800. That's 1:1 (2:1?) correct?

about the multiple 5:4 are value divisor for other models, in asus the multipler are 400, 333 266 etc
you need calculate the frecuency of your memory for example:

my memory are drr500 frecuency is 250mhz
you need apply this formula

{fsb*[multipler(333)]}/400=frecuency
example
my cpu have 2700mhz, 9x(multipler cpu), 300fsb, 3xmultipler fsb
for overclock your cpu, you dont need overclock the memory in very cases the memory overclock gain unstable in your system..
*take care dont force the fsb in my case the top is 1000.
9x300=2700mhz of the cpu
my fsb run 300x3=900mhz (is good value), you dont need raise the value over 1000 because you force your mobo and all components (unstable)

ok continued to memory setup
remenber my data

300(fsb)*333(multpler memory)/400=99.900/400=249,75(this result is my memory frecuency, I dont have overclock my memory but my cpu yes.......if you want oc you cpu try with this formula and have good results........

sorry for my bad english, i hope you understand

PD: I need help about multipler 1:1 5:4 etc because my evga incoming :D thx

about the multiple 5:4 are value divisor for other models, in asus the multipler are 400, 333 266 etc

example
for overclock your cpu, you dont need overclock the memory in very cases the memory overclock gain unstable in your system..
9x300=2700mhz of the cpu
my fsb run 300x3=900mhz (is good value), you dont need raise the value over 1000 because you force your mobo and all components (unstable)

remenber my data

300(fsb)*333(multpler memory)/400=99.900/400=249,75(this result is my memory frecuency, I dont have overclock my memory but my cpu yes.......if you want oc you cpu try with this formula and have good results........

I appreciate it but yeah, that is kind of confusing. Not as confusing as what mike said tho heh.

The lower I can set my DRAM to is 533, before I OC. That kind of limits things for me or am I missing something. Can I somehow get it lower?

example
9x300=2700mhz of the cpu

remenber my data

The OP should not listen to any of the above, no wonder it's confusing since this applies to AMD processors ONLY, the OP is using INTEL.

965 boards use a memory MULTIPLIER (no dividers), you should be running your RAM at 1:1 which is typically the DDR2-533 setting.

Anyway as Arcygenical mentions in the first reply, it sounds like you're hitting the limit of your motherboard. Anything close to 400 is a real stretch. Is the NB heatsink hot? You might try a fan on it if it is.

The OP should not listen to any of the above, no wonder it's confusing since this applies to AMD processors ONLY, the OP is using INTEL.

965 boards use a memory MULTIPLIER (no dividers), you should be running your RAM at 1:1 which is typically the DDR2-533 setting.

Anyway as Arcygenical mentions in the first reply, it sounds like you're hitting the limit of your motherboard. Anything close to 400 is a real stretch. Is the NB heatsink hot? You might try a fan on it if it is.

What would be a better board to use? The P5B-e? or the P5B deluxe. I just hope it's not my memory.

Btw, thanks for clearing that up.

The OP here has already stated he is confused and blanket statements like this with no explanations attached do not help. You are substituting one word for another incorrectly. And all of this applies to Intel chipsets as well.

The MULTIPLIER is the number x FSB that determines the external speed of the CPU, IE 7 x 266mhz for E6300, 8 x for 6400, etc.

DIVIDER or RATIO determines the speed at which the FSB operates with regard to the MCH, (Memory Controller Hub) or NB. 1:1 means they run synchronously, 2:3 means the memory is running 50% percent faster than the CPU, 3:2 would CPU faster than memory, etc.

The OP here has already stated he is confused and blanket statements like this with no explanations attached do not help. You are substituting one word for another incorrectly. And all of this applies to Intel chipsets as well.

The MULTIPLIER is the number x FSB that determines the external speed of the CPU, IE 7 x 266mhz for E6300, 8 x for 6400, etc.

DIVIDER or RATIO determines the speed at which the FSB operates with regard to the MCH, (Memory Controller Hub) or NB. 1:1 means they run synchronously, 2:3 means the memory is running 50% percent faster than the CPU, 3:2 would CPU faster than memory, etc.

I don't think it really matters here in my situation as the lowest I can set my memory to before and overclock is DDR2-533.

What would be a better board to use? The P5B-e? or the P5B deluxe. I just hope it's not my memory.

Btw, thanks for clearing that up.

The -e and -deluxe seem to overclock similarly, HOWEVER... the -deluxe board has alot of problems with some of it's components... Mine is flawless (500FSB, 1000mhz DDR2 frequency) but many have complained about the onboard LAN and the SATA ports.

Oh, and the IDE port tends to have problems if you're burning a DVD with it.

If you want that sexy black PCB though, you're choices are limited! And take this with a grain of salt, because as I just posted in another thread... About 10x more people complain about a product than post good experiences with it... You can guess that for every person with a problem, 10 (or more!) are perfectly fine.

But, DONT RULE OUT that it's your RAM. Ram that was made for 667mhz well... should have a hard time getting past 800mhz or so. It's binned lower for a reason.

Try setting the last 6 memory timing values to:

x,x,x,x,6,42,3,11,5,14

The default values P5B gives are bad for Corsair sticks.

Try setting the last 6 memory timing values to:

x,x,x,x,6,42,3,11,5,14

The default values P5B gives are bad for Corsair sticks.

wow I do believe that is working, running mtest for 15mins now, whereas normally it would freeze within 2mins. No problems as of yet. Thanks! Let's hope this continues. Er, I'm at 405x8 right now fyi (3.2).

Btw how did you know to use those settings? Corsair site?

okay, it's the FSB that is overheating. Anyone know how to get a fan on the vanilla asus p5b?

Glue :D (im not kidding, a FEW dabs of hot glue).

Heh, ill try that. Kind of a dumb question but I'm always confused on this. Should I put it on as a outtake fan? Drawing the heat from the heatsink outwards, or have it blowing directly on the HS?

Heh, ill try that. Kind of a dumb question but I'm always confused on this. Should I put it on as a outtake fan? Drawing the heat from the heatsink outwards, or have it blowing directly on the HS?

Blowing INTO the HSF is the generally accepted practice.

I have the same MB, CPU and RAM. I'm running @ 400x8. The way I made it stable :
PCIe : locked to 101 ( 100 doesn't work. 102 - 105 work too )
VRam : 2.0 ( 2.1 works too but 1.9 doesn't )
Ram timing : leave it to default/SPD . This is the only setting I can make it stable. Strangely enough, a timing 4-4-4-12 with very tight setting for other sub values will be chosen. You can verify this fact with CPU-Z. When I tried to set timing manually, nothing worked, no matter if it is 4-4-4-12, 5-5-5-x or even 6-6-6-x !! . It has something to do with other timing values that are inaccessible via BIOS.

wow I do believe that is working, running mtest for 15mins now, whereas normally it would freeze within 2mins. No problems as of yet. Thanks! Let's hope this continues. Er, I'm at 405x8 right now fyi (3.2).

Btw how did you know to use those settings? Corsair site?

I found those at http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/ forum. I think those subvalues can be read with a program called Memset while running SPD auto memory timings. Haven't tried that myself though.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, especially the last timing value (10 by default) needs to be set to 14 or 15 to gain enough stability.

Yes, that's right...I have been trying to spread that knowledge around.

Once you set the RAM timings to manual, you will not get the correct subtimings for some reason. On a lot of RAM they default to 10-10-10. If you see that, you will have problems.

The post is here.

You'll see we tried complaining to Corsair and Asus without effect...when you go manual even with the latest BIOS it still reads the subtimings wrong.

The best way to check is to download Memset which will read them correctly in Windows, then you can change them in BIOS....Linkage ya'll.

Don't change them in Windows, that's what the program is designed to do, but invariably you will crash your system.

Back