OCing sempron 2600+ S754

Picked up a sempron 2600+ and a MSI neo plat just to see what the new 90 nM semprons could do. So far just booting up I can get to about 320 fsb, I have no clue whether it will be stable at that speed or not and 325 would lock during boot up. The other possibility is that the HTT is getting too high, unfortunately for some reason the 2x multiplier doesn't work so I stuck with the 3x, I will probably try the 1x as well, installing winXP so I can do some real stability testing :)

Nice.. Since reading the article on Xbit, I've been getting tempted to give one a try.. but I really need a vid card more than a new cpu/mobo.

Good luck. The MSI Neo that I picked up wouldn't run stable over 230, but that's just my board.

After installing windows I was able to get about 2.5 ghz stable (312 HTT) however its 2T, Still I'm completely happy mobo and processor were only $110, and my performance should be about an A64 3500+ according to xbit

How much did you pay for the mobo?

shit, if it only costs me around $100 i might take the plunge.. i was looking at that chaintech budget board that oc's well.. the VNF250 i think...

Yeah that article at xbit was pretty interesting.
It makes the 3100 kind of defunct...
$266 for a 3500 seems a bit silly in this light, altough it would be nice to have seen a 3500 at 2.5GHz on those graphs. Or better yet, a $150 939 .09 3000 at 2.5GHz.

Awesome performance for a 70 buck cpu.
I still think 64 bit instructions will be a non issue for another year at the earliest for most gamers.
I'm sure people will be Vmodding their chipsets to get those FSBs up.
Xbit did not mention how hot their NB got in testing. That would be the first place I would start.

The question then becomes whether the $109 a64 2800 is a better deal.

I popped the extra $30 for the 1.8ghz 3100 90nm. I figure the extra 200mhz is worth it if my plat wont uber over clock the fsb. Ill know tomarrow. I hope the stock amd heatsink holds up. Looks like a pos to me. All alum with a rough base.

thats such a good deal man. Talk about AMD throwing enthusiasts a bone. You know that oc'd sempron will walk allover any oc'd celeron.

7718 said:
thats such a good deal man. Talk about AMD throwing enthusiasts a bone. You know that oc'd sempron will walk allover any oc'd celeron.

Oh yeah, I got my 5yr old a Shuttle system running a 1.667ghz Sempron, I just bumped the clock speed to 200 and instantly had a 2ghz cpu, plenty fast for him and his games using an old leftover 9600XT....
...maybe I will try and push that cheap chip a bit further...if I get a faster vid card that can do something with it that is... :)

Is that new 2600+ sempron one of the 128K cache ones? Does that make a difference in anything you've tried?

The board cost me $50 from newegg refurbs, and the processor cost me $60 from staples (you can special order from Ingram Micro and use a $20 off $100 or $30 off $150 coupon and then pricematch to get $20 or $30 off the lowest price on the net from a reputable dealer such as newegg). I haven't thrown any really intensive benchmarks at it, as I'm not a heavy gamer, just an OC/value enthusiast. But I think the xbit benchs speak for themselves, your not taking too much of a hit by going to 128 kb. I would also probably recommend the 3100+ to get the higher multiplier and larger L2 cache, it still isn't clear to me if the older nforce3 250 s754 boards weren't hitting high HTT speeds because the chipset wasn't stable or the processor couldn't handle it, but I"m beginning to think it was the processor, and these newer 90 nM with better mem controllers will allow the higher fsbs/HTT speeds. Hows this for a value system:

Msi neo plat $50 newegg
2600+ at 2.5 ghz $60 staples
1 gig pc3200 (2*512) $70 staples
200 gig maxtor HD $40 staples
16X DVD burner $25 staples
Antec slk1600B with 350 W PSU $20 Frys
However much you want to spend on vid card ??

Total $265 plus vid card price for a PC that could compete with just about any :)

Man i think i got a funky board. My msi neo plat wont go higher then 230mhz fsb even if i lower the multi and make a ram devider. my 3100 has a 9 multi so im stuck at alittle less then 2ghz. This is crappy for a nforce 3 250gb. Any hints? this is my first 754oc. Seems voltage doesnt affect the oc at all, so i think its my northbridge.

In your advanced chipset set HTT to X3 and make sure you turn your ram down so when you overclock the bus it raises the speed of the ram. IE max 166 with a 234 fsb should put your ram back up to PC3200...subsequently when max 133 and your FSB is 267...you are PC 3200 again, and so on

Back