OCing with XP x64

Anyone out there have thier setup on both XP Pro and XP Pro x64? I built my comp and x64 was my first OS, so I can't tell how I would do other wise. I have a AMD A64 3700+ (754) oced to 2.58 (stock it 2.4) I cannot go over 2.6 or it will crash at the Windows splash screen (load screen) But I can test the hell out of it at 2.58 and its stable as a rock.

Do you guys think its my chip or my OS?
I just figured my chip would lock up after hours of testing close to the limit (.02 away from the "limit" of 2.6). Temps are stable if thats a question you might have 38 idle 42-44 load.

I want to know from you guys with XP and XP64, did you have to drop your OC to get XP64 to run? Or did it run fine?

ninethreeeleven said:
Anyone out there have thier setup on both XP Pro and XP Pro x64?
yup, no change for me from xp to xp-64 on both my newark and clawhammer.

however, there is always a chance that you have a lame part in the core where the 64bit portion is. :(

If your stability changes that dramatically from 20mhz then its more likely that its not the chip, but one of many other subsidiary factors (like RAM).

RawsonDR said:
If your stability changes that dramatically from 20mhz then its more likely that its not the chip, but one of many other subsidiary factors (like RAM).
even though it's simply changing the OS?

He didn't say 2.58 was 32 bit and 2.6 was x64. He's never tried 32 bit.

x64 could have issues I suppose but I'd be surprised that it could be more/less friendly depending only on overclock.

Sorry for not replying sooner....

Like it was said above, I never tested on 32bit Windows. I am just shocked that a 20mhz push (from 2.58 to 2.6) would not even allow the Windows splash screen to come up. I might just mess with the RAM timings but I can get this RAM up to 245mhz with no problems. Right now its at 220 or 225 (Cant remember). It also passes memtest at 245, so while it might be the RAM I don't think it is.

Back