OCZ agility 60GB @ zzf $129 after MIR

We probably won't even see 250GB drives for that much by this time next year, I'm thinking 160GB at best... And even that's doubtful. Depends on mainstream adoption. 60GB is pleeenty for an OS install, you don't need more at all unless you plan to load every single game you've ever played unto it or unless you're dealing w/some rather high-end stuff.

I'm writing this from my netbook, fully patched w/all the programs I use on it installed, the 160GB drive on it only has 56GB in use, and 35GB of that are TV shows and movies I loaded on it for a recent trip and haven't bothered to delete. /shrug

Agreed, unless you play a lot of games, I doubt most people have more than, say, 20 gigs of actual application "stuff". Rest of your media can be stored on whatever cheap external HD.

Some games can be pretty problematic, though. There are a few MMOs that can get into the teens of GB usage easily.

If you have a couple of your steam games, an MMO, and some bigger apps installed, it's pretty easy to fill up your primary. I'm going to snag a 120 ssd at xmas time since I really can't get by with much less than that.

Agreed, unless you play a lot of games, I doubt most people have more than, say, 20 gigs of actual application "stuff". Rest of your media can be stored on whatever cheap external HD.

Some games can be pretty problematic, though. There are a few MMOs that can get into the teens of GB usage easily.

Vista ultimate takes up more than 20g ...On my machine with Office and Vista and a Photoshop etc it takes up close to 40 GB. You must be running xp?

I mean non-OS, just run of the mill applications.

My office folder is only 700 megs, though, and photoshop is 1.7 gigs. I dunno?

I have a lot of other production software and I'm barely breaking 10 gigs in my program files folder, guess I'm weird.

You can always move the Steam folder to another drive or use symbolic links to only move some steam games and not all of 'em, works fine.

Vista ultimate takes up more than 20g ...On my machine with Office and Vista and a Photoshop etc it takes up close to 40 GB. You must be running xp?

Yeah, my netbook is running WinXP atm. WinXP/7 take up less space than Vista does IIRC, and Ultimate does include some unnecessary bloat IIRC... If it's a somewhat old install chances are there's a good amount of space being taken up by old System Restore points and Shadow Copy file backups as well, stuff you can easily clean up or limit if you're running a small SSD. If you have a lot of RAM and are using Hibernate then you'll also have an equivalent hibernate file on the HD that you can eliminate (by not running Hibernate, the hiberfil.sys file will be about as large as the amount of RAM you've got).

Running win 7 on the drive now. Very speedy. 60GB is enough for an OS drive for me (I'd have preferred 80GB for a little more wiggle room).

Back