OCZ Core Series V2 32gb SSD $70 shipped at newegg plus $10mir

It's actually 50 AR now.

I have to wonder if it's worth playing with for 50 bucks.

I was thinking of sticking a mce partition on it for my htpc.

Sequential Access - Read Up to 170 MB/s
Sequential Access - Write Up to 98 MB/s

doesn't sound to bad for $50AR

Don't buy these SSDs. They have problems with random writes due to their controller - there was an article describing the problem on Anandtech, IIRC.

Yeah from reviews it seems too iffy, that sucks. I really wanted to put it in my new Alienware M17 to toss WoW and Steam on

Supposedly this runs great on a dedicated RAID controller. However I cant find a good one for cheap. Anyone know a decent SATA RAID controller for around $100 that will do the job?

Supposedly this runs great on a dedicated RAID controller. However I cant find a good one for cheap. Anyone know a decent SATA RAID controller for around $100 that will do the job?
My guess is that these run great on dedicated RAID controllers that do caching. I think the controller isolates the drives write issues from the OS since the OS thinks the data has been committed to disk when in reality the controller is dealing with the SSD delays. Just a guess.

Anyone know exactly what is is that "V2" changed from the original release? Did the controller get tweaked at all? Is it actually any better?

My guess is that these run great on dedicated RAID controllers that do caching. I think the controller isolates the drives write issues from the OS since the OS thinks the data has been committed to disk when in reality the controller is dealing with the SSD delays. Just a guess.

I believe what I read happens is that the onboard write controller has an obnoxiously small cache, I think 8KB. With a lot of random reads/writes, it overloads the cache and the SSD sends a message to the OS to stop all incoming data. I guess the OS, then, just hangs.

There have been many tweaks to circumvent the problem (disabling caching, disabling system restore, etc.) and one hack-y solution to solving it (use Windows Steady State, which locks your computer from changes until reboot and then writes them sequentially when you turn your computer on next), but there is no "silver bullet" solution to this problem yet.

Would this be fine for an OS and games? Then have another hdd for other apps and data?

Would this be fine for an OS and games? Then have another hdd for other apps and data?

OSs entail lots of random reading and writing. Given those options, the worst idea would be to put an OS on it. Windows would hang randomly when doing seemingly normal tasks, and copying lots of files would take much longer.

what about just having games on it?

I don't own one myself, so I can't tell you definitely... but I have been reading a lot about it today (I was considering getting one but decided against it).

First off, it's only 32 GB. You won't fit too many new games on it.

Since games require a lot of sequential reading, I would assume it would be okay... but for a couple extra bucks you could get a 640gb hard drive.

Browse through the OCZ forums and I'm sure you'll find a helpful post or two.

Since games require a lot of sequential reading, I would assume it would be okay... but for a couple extra bucks you could get a 640gb hard drive.
Very true. I'm still thinking about getting one just to see what all the fuss is about.

I hope my thread here will help:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033347007#post1033347007
I got my 300GB Velociraptor yesterday to replace the SSD. The SSD is really fast for reading but for writing it is very slow and sometimes I can't do anything else while installing a large program, the computer would stop being responsive. Installing a large program would also take a very long time, much longer than installing it to my 1TB Samsung drive.

I really like the faster boot and load speed from the SSD so I refuse to go back to anything slower than that, that's why I ordered the Velociraptor. With the Velociraptor, I don't notice much difference in the read speed but the write speed is much much faster than the SSD. What I do notice is the annoying disk seek sound from the Velociraptor, it is much louder than my 1TB Samsung, the sound is like an old laptop harddrive.

What I also like about the SSD is the total silent operation but I guess that I could still live with the Velociraptor. I didn't return the SSD because I think that it would be the perfect drive for my Carputer project. It is fast for reading and it doesn't have any mechanical parts that can be damaged in a car. I won't be installing much program on my Carputer so the slow write speed won't matter much there.

Back