OCZ Core Series Working Great?

Griff805

Limp Gawd
I've had a horrible experience with the OCZ Core series so far, and am still trying to get it corrected, or else I'll have $600 worth of useless ssd. I'm sure many of you are tired of hearing about this drive and this whole SSD thing- but-

I was hoping that those (if many) that have a Cores series drive up and running as their OS drive and are completely satisfied with the performance to post their experience, or at least a "Mine is working great, on this system: -include sys specs here-"

OCZ is claiming that there are tons of these that have shipped out, and less than 1% are having issues. So, I would like to hear from the other 99%. There has to be at least 50 people I would think that have this drive and can say and prove that theirs is working great (besides OCZ employees).

So please- Give me some feedback, as the support forum is ofcourse filled with people who do have issues. I just want to know that the 99% is out there... somewhere-

One of the suck things about having bleeding edge :(

I hope you get your problems resolved, I have not found any conclusive number of people recomending this drive and it's been scareing me away from buying it.

Nobody so far eh?

You would think that on a forum of Hardware enthusiasts, that there would be at least 5-10 people with the OCZ Core drive. Where's everyone at?

I got my money back. I was never able to get it to stop studdering. And now they have released V2 and announced V3... Their claims that thousands have been sold with no problems I wonder about. Maybe they are sitting in the channels... don't know..

Gary M

Are they really as bad as some people make them out to be? I suppose its low price point and MLC construction had to have its drawbacks sometime. :(

Hopefully, this isn't an indicator of where "cheap" SSDs are going to go. :eek:

I got my money back. I was never able to get it to stop studdering. And now they have released V2 and announced V3... Their claims that thousands have been sold with no problems I wonder about. Maybe they are sitting in the channels... don't know..

Gary M

Sales are counted of those products in channel, so i guess you could be right about that!

Gary M

eh? V3? Where'd you hear this from? Their website only mentions V2.

Am I wrong to think that on this forum there would be at least 10 people with this drive as their OS drive??

Where is everyone with their working OCZ SSD Drvies? Not even one here yet...

Am I wrong to think that on this forum there would be at least 10 people with this drive as their OS drive??

Too many of us have been bitten in the ass with new technology, so whilst i cant speak for everybody else, i do tend to do my homework now before buying any new tech. In doing so, i learned pretty quickly that there was something wrong with the write performance of the drive and that several people were experiencing a corruption issue and came to the conclusion that i would not be purchasing said drive.

Others on this forum probably did the same, seen there was some kind of initial problems with the drive and stayed away. So if the drive had been reviewed favorably then im sure 10+ people would have it, but it didnt.....hence why not many people bothered.

Too many of us have been bitten in the ass with new technology, so whilst i cant speak for everybody else, i do tend to do my homework now before buying any new tech. In doing so, i learned pretty quickly that there was something wrong with the write performance of the drive and that several people were experiencing a corruption issue and came to the conclusion that i would not be purchasing said drive.

Others on this forum probably did the same, seen there was some kind of initial problems with the drive and stayed away. So if the drive had been reviewed favorably then im sure 10+ people would have it, but it didnt.....hence why not many people bothered.

Agreed, I myself got bit many times until I finally realized that the bleeding edge stuff results in too much bleeding.

Where is everyone with their working OCZ SSD Drvies? Not even one here yet...

I guess nobody dares to be a man and admit they blowed a big one.
:cool:

Having purchased two OCZ Core drives and seen the problem exist with both drives on two different setups (both running on ASUS P5K Premium mobos), despite following all the guides and recommendations to the letter, and formatting/reinstalling windows several times, i think it's safe to say that i'm disappointed.

It would be different if it seemed to be only me having the problem, but every time i go to the OCZ forums there's someone new talking about having the exact same experience. Combined with these forums and others like them, i'm only seeing negative responses, followed by OCZ reps stating that everything seems fine their end and it must be something we're doing wrong, or the individual drive must be faulty.

Just to reiterate, the problem lies with small writes to the drive. Read speed is very fast, large writes appear to be "ok", but small writes kill the drive. I'll give some examples as to how this impacts me in real world scenarios:
1) Opening multiple tabs in firefox - I rarely have a single web page open at a time. I don't go crazy, but i'm talking at least 2 or 3 at any one time. Opening up multiples like this causes the browser to completely lock up for anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds at least on the OCZ drive.
2) Streaming media - Youtube and all the others like it stutter and pause during small streaming video playback as it caches the small bits and pieces of the video.
3) Downloading via firefox (or other web browsers). - similar scenario to the streaming media, and seems to lock up at the end of the download for a few seconds (or longer depending on the size of the file)
4) Installation of most games, windows updates, service packs etc etc, due to the multitude of small file writes that occur
5) Multitasking is severely inhibited - If i open firefox while installing a game, or have anything writing to the drive and try to run another application (especially one that also makes any sort of disk write, small or large), things choke to the point of being unusable. Not being able to run two relatively minor functions simultaneously on a C2D 3Ghz with 4GB of RAM is an exercise in frustration.
6)Copying a large quantity of small files (eg. photos, documents etc) from a storage drive to the OCZ drive - The PC would all but lock up completely at points during this type of file transfer.

I've gone back to the WD velociraptors and haven't looked back. The OCZ drives now have pride of place as seriously overpriced storage drives in my PCs. I went into this expecting some level of disappointment or drama due to the relative immaturity of the product. I didn't expect it to be so noticeable in day to day use though. Not quite standing up in benchmarks, sure, but browsing the web? C'mon.

I've gone back to the WD velociraptors and haven't looked back. The OCZ drives now have pride of place as seriously overpriced storage drives in my PCs. I went into this expecting some level of disappointment or drama due to the relative immaturity of the product. I didn't expect it to be so noticeable in day to day use though. Not quite standing up in benchmarks, sure, but browsing the web? C'mon.

I was pretty excited about grabbing an SSD to play with but based on the comments of the OP, Blindside here, as well as many others I have decided to take a pass.

If anything, I figured that multitasking would be better with an SSD (due to the fast seek times) but apparently it's worse. Sad banana here.

Hopefully V2 and V3 fix these problems.

Wow that sound really terrible.
All those things you mentioned are really important stuff for regular PC users, so It won't be isolated occurrence to a small group of users.
I can't believe OCZ states only 1% of users have issues if this is the way drive behaves!

I hear V3 is in the works to.
Any info what they will have to offer?

Back