OCZ, my god am i impressed :)

lamb110

Gawd
i just bought a 520w Mod-Stream for my file server, after i had to cannibalize its PSU for my brothers computer. Take a look at these pics. I had heard good things, but i am totally blown away by the quality of this thing. They even knew that i ran out of zip-ties and included some and some cable straps. Its like they actually know what it takes to do a proper installation of a PSU :)
DSC00129.jpg

DSC00130.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

even the power cord is top quality, and looks great. Its flexable too
:D

You're old power supply was a Deer? ;)

Unstable 12V rail. Single 12V rail. Can't pull rated wattage.

oc-520w_modstream_modular_006.JPG

Seems a little small for a 520W unit.

Not when used in a mid-range system, as long as the standard 20% overhead rule is followed, they work just fine.

Do you have any personal experence with any PSU's?

I actually have a 450 and a 520 both. 450 sitting in a box right behind me, in fact.

Typical Topower crap (the Powerstream 520ADJSLI being an exception to that "rule.") Crossloads easily, poor voltage regulation, mediocre efficiency (65% to 75%.), no PF....

You rant about Ultra and Thermaltake "polishing turds," you should take another good look at that debacle.

Why is it that a crappy Modstream is "suitable for a mid-range system" but when the voltage drops below specs on an X2 550W, which IMHO is "just as suitable for a mid-range system," is run with a pair of X1900's (ref: LegitReviews. Something I wouldn't expect a Modstream to even TRY to do) you call it "crap?"

Hmm....

EDIT: To the OP, my apologies. I am NOT meaning to crap on your purchase. The Modstream is a BEAUTIFUL looking unit and, as Dave said, it is perfectly fine for almost any midrange system. And right now, with the fact that OCZ has discontinued this product, you can get them for a SONG. ;)

jonnyGURU said:
And right now, with the fact that OCZ has discontinued this product, you can get them for a SONG. ;)

Too bad that song is Nirvana's "Rape Me"

Why is it that a crappy Modstream is "suitable for a mid-range system" but when the voltage drops below specs on an X2 550W, which IMHO is "just as suitable for a mid-range system," is run with a pair of X1900's (ref: LegitReviews. Something I wouldn't expect a Modstream to even TRY to do) you call it "crap?"
I agree that the Ultra X2 550W is "suitable for a mid-range system". ;)

jonnyGURU said:
I actually have a 450 and a 520 both. 450 sitting in a box right behind me, in fact.

Typical Topower crap (the Powerstream 520ADJSLI being an exception to that "rule.") Crossloads easily, poor voltage regulation, mediocre efficiency (65% to 75%.), no PF....

You rant about Ultra and Thermaltake "polishing turds," you should take another good look at that debacle.

Hmm....

EDIT: To the OP, my apologies. I am NOT meaning to crap on your purchase. The Modstream is a BEAUTIFUL looking unit and, as Dave said, it is perfectly fine for almost any midrange system. And right now, with the fact that OCZ has discontinued this product, you can get them for a SONG. ;)

Seems to get anything thing though Dave's skull you need a 40yr old that has experience with 100+ PSUs. If he keeps this up, he can just forget about learning anything.

the computer that its going into has 5 hard drives right now, and i'm going to try and pull 3 more out of my main rig, so 8 total buy the week-end. Its definatley not a gaming computer, it has an x1300, and a x2 3800+ processor, that isnt overclocked. It is on and fold's 24-7, when i was useing the 400w Dynex that was in there before i'd have problems with it crashing and re-booting a few times a week. I hope this Mod-stream will be enough... do you all think it will be?

Plenty of power. If you got a lemon, I couldn't tell you. I recommend doing a light-load test before you stack 8 hard drives in there though, just to be safe :)

will do, i'll just hook up the boot drive first, beacuse i have to re-build my RAID 5 array anyways. Thanks for the help :)

lamb110 said:
will do, i'll just hook up the boot drive first, beacuse i have to re-build my RAID 5 array anyways. Thanks for the help :)

Np. Just load up the CPU with Prime overnight.

dBTelos said:
Np. Just load up the CPU with Prime overnight.
will folding be as good a test as Prime? i've never really ran Prime before, but i need to run 2 instances correct?

lamb110 said:
will folding be as good a test as Prime? i've never really ran Prime before, but i need to run 2 instances correct?

I don't know too much about Prime or Folding. But I have heard that Folding will put full load on your CPU, and thats all you really need to do. So you can just stick with that. Best of luck.

Prime95 is a better test. You'll need two instances running if you have two cores; install to wherever you feel like and then copy/paste the folder somewhere else and start it from there as well. If you just try to run it twice from the same folder it just opens the existing one.

i'm posting this from the file server, so its up and running. I'm going to go download Prime now, i'll let you all know how it went tomarrow. One thing though, it was a PAIN to get that main 24pin connection attached to the motherboard beacause of how stiff the shielding/sleeving is. Took a couple tried to get it attached in the mobo with te extra 4pin on the side of the 20pin still attached.

i just started the test, i selected the torture test then just used Blend, the one that was defaulted to, is that the test i want to run?

lamb110 said:
i'm posting this from the file server, so its up and running. I'm going to go download Prime now, i'll let you all know how it went tomarrow. One thing though, it was a PAIN to get that main 24pin connection attached to the motherboard beacause of how stiff the shielding/sleeving is. Took a couple tried to get it attached in the mobo with te extra 4pin on the side of the 20pin still attached.

I read a couple reviews on the ModStream, and in each one the author noted that the cabling was really stiff :D

lamb110 said:
i just started the test, i selected the torture test then just used Blend, the one that was defaulted to, is that the test i want to run?
Yes blended test.

The HDD's can pull up to +12V@3A each during spin up, but this is only a peak load,
after less than 2-seconds the +12V load per HDD drops to under 1A, so your ModStream should be fine. ;)

Back