OCZ needs some new SSD product lines <sarcasm>. Recommendation needed

RedShark

[H]ard|Gawd
I think the following seven product lines in the 2.5" SSD category are just not covering all their bases:

OCZ Vertex 2 EX Series SATA II 2.5" SSD
OCZ Vertex 2 Pro Series SATA II 2.5" SSD
OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD
OCZ Agility 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD
OCZ Onyx 2 Series SATA II 2.5" SSD
OCZ Vertex Series SATA II 2.5" SSD
OCZ Onyx Series SATA II 2.5" SSD

As a prospective buyer, I need finer-grained options. Seven product lines is just not cutting it. And that's just 2.5". They have more 3.5" options.

Seriously? Newegg lists 81 OCZ drives for sale. Intel has 14. With Intel, I could buy the mainstream G2 in some capacity. Simple.

What's the approximate equivalent here? The Vertex 2? Vertex 2 Pro? Agility 2? Onyx 2? My head is going to pop, so help me out here. My parents want an SSD for their desktop, and like the Intel 160GB G2 I have. What other options are there? 2.5" or 3.5" would be fine as it's a desktop.

Looking for equivalents along these dimensions:
~160GB capacity
~Intel G2 performance
~Intel price (~$450)

Somewhat higher or lower capacity/performance/price are all fine--I just need some recommendations.

Thanks.

To answer your question, you can spend 2 minutes doing research on OCZ's site and you would find:

OCZ Vertex 2 EX Series SATA II 2.5" SSD = Sandfrorce, SLC NAND, higher-end firmware, supercapacitor (Server application)
OCZ Vertex 2 Pro Series SATA II 2.5" SSD = Sandforce, MLC NAND, higher-end firmware, supercapacitor (Server application)
OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD = Sandforce with higher-end firmware (desktop use you cannot tell the difference) (Good desktop drive)
OCZ Agility 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD = Sandforce with allegedly slower firmware (desktop use you cannot tell the difference) (Good desktop drive)
OCZ Onyx 2 Series SATA II 2.5" SSD = Sandforce with cheaper NAND/ allegedly slower firmware so slightly slower (OK drive but cheaper NAND)
OCZ Vertex Series SATA II 2.5" SSD = Indilinx Barefoot (OK/ Good desktop use drive but about a half to full gen behind)
OCZ Onyx Series SATA II 2.5" SSD = Indilinx Amigos (1/2 an Indilinx Barefoot) (Kids PC/ HTPC application)

General consensus is that Sandforce > Indilinx Barefoot... but most desktop users won't be able to tell the tangible difference like they would going from HD to SSD. (I use multiple Sandforce, Intel, and Indilinx SSDs as a frame of reference).

Vertex 2 Pro and EX you can skip. I would also skip the Amigos based Indilinx at this point (Onyx vanilla).

For that application, I would skip the Onyx 2 because I do not like having to answer tech support calls from family.

Vertex 2 or Agility 2 they will not be able to tell the difference (I am guessing) so you can get whichever is cheaper. Vertex original would not be a terrible idea if you got a really good deal.

Then again, the Intel G2 is still a solid drive.

Thanks for your response.

Some OCZ drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227591
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227552

Assuming comparable performance to the Intel 160GB, I like these since they're 240GB. But then I glance at the reviews and can't help but notice that everyone is bitching about failures. This could just be the "newegg buyers are stupid" problem, but given the large number of negative reviews as compared to the safe-and-sane Intel 160GB G2, I'm forced to hesitate.

I don't imagine there is any meaningful reliability data out there other than the "accepted wisdom" that people buy Intel for stability and anything else for more "bleeding edge?" I'm inclined to speculate that the Intel might be the better choice just by virtue of the fact that I know what I'm getting.

Back