OCZ: Our PCIe solid-state drives are available

VDiesel

Weaksauce
This is so [H] !

I want this ....
http://www.techreport.com/discussions.x/17600
z-drive_il.jpg

Z-Drive SSDs are shipping in two main flavors: the e84, which uses single-level-cell (SLC) flash memory, and the p84, which employs cheaper and more commonplace multi-level-cell (MLC) flash. Both models can be had with either 256GB or 512GB capacities, and you can get the p84 with a cool 1TB, too.

OCZ makes these products using four-way internal RAID-0 configurations as well as PCIe x8 interfaces aimed at bypassing Serial ATA bottlenecks. As a result, the MLC-based p84 can purportedly hit speeds of 750MB/s during reads and 650MB/s during writes, while the e84 can reach 800MB/s and 750MB/s, respectively.

Hmmm. Very interesting. Seems to be some confusion as to whether or not they can be used as a boot drive. Nonetheless, interesting. And expensive.

Nope, I can't find them for sale either in any form. Are they live on newegg?

search on google shopping, plenty of listings. Availability is a little different though

Last edited:
Seems like a rip to me, cheaper to build your own raid, and with the right controller card get much better performance.

Seems like a rip to me, cheaper to build your own raid, and with the right controller card get much better performance.

But with the OCZ, it's all on expansion slots, whereas with what you've described, you'd have to find the appropriate drives, controller, backplanes, etc, etc, etc.

It's just a simplification of high-performance storage all in one convenient package.

Like with anything else that's new bleeding edge tech...its always expensive at first- using the article lets say it costs $1300 for the 256GB.

Ok I'll bite, break it down for me;

Price up 4 OCZ SSDs that total at least 256GB that can sustain the read and write speeds of this unit and slap in a 4 port hardware raid controller that can also sustain that thruput and total it up.

If you find your within 50-100$, I wouldn't exactly call that a rip :)

I agree it's a rip, if you want the bleeding edge.

Like with anything else that's new bleeding edge tech...its always expensive at first... ...If you find your within 50-100$, I wouldn't exactly call that a rip :)
It's not bleeding edge.

Based on a partial read of the review: 1. I agree it's a rip, if you want the bleeding edge. 2. It's not bleeding edge.

Page one of the review (linked above) says that it uses pci-e and a lsi 1068e chip. If you're going to even bother the bleeding edge, you can't use old tech for some of the parts. It would need a sas-2 controller chip and pci-e 2.0, to be bleeding edge.

For only four sas-2 ports on pcie 2, you could use a LSI00190. Then you could use any four SSD you wish.

I'm sure that sas 6gb, sata 6gb, and pcie 2.0 will be relevant tech for a couple years. But the price/gb ratio for SSD will continue to adjust over those same years. So it doesn't make sense to get a vendor specific SSD married to an outdated controller chip, running customized firmware, on an outdated interface. It seems that a two part solution would still work best for future upgrades.

If they're going to directly connect SSD via pci-e or pci-e 2.0, they should come out with some small, standard, upgradeable, interchangeable form factor and slot for the SSD to fit on the card. Something like a RAM module.

Very disappointing, but those boards look like colossus boards! What if you took them both out and raid 0 them yourself?

I figured I would bump this because I found something a bit amusing. I noticed all the components were on the other side and it had a spot for an iButton (yes, that's really what it is called). Supermicro makes UIO cards just like that. If you look at some images of the back of the card (here) and then compare it to Supermicro's model (here), you'll notice they are pretty much the same. They unscrewed the SFF-8088 connector on the back, removed the iButton module, replaced the bracket, and then even covered the Supermicro logo with a white sticker. The best part is the fact that they even include a Supermicro driver disc with the thing (as seen on the other model). What a hack job...

I figured I would bump this because I found something a bit amusing. I noticed all the components were on the other side and it had a spot for an iButton (yes, that's really what it is called). Supermicro makes UIO cards just like that. If you look at some images of the back of the card (here) and then compare it to Supermicro's model (here), you'll notice they are pretty much the same. They unscrewed the SFF-8088 connector on the back, removed the iButton module, replaced the bracket, and then even covered the Supermicro logo with a white sticker. The best part is the fact that they even include a Supermicro driver disc with the thing (as seen on the other model). What a hack job...

Heh, that's pretty bad...

Pricing is out of this world, too: $1375 for the 250GB MLC model!? I bought a single 256GB SSD that has Samsung NAND on an Indlinx Barefoot controller for $430 :p , and it's obtainable for $630-650ish regularly with ease.

It's not a hack job, it's called 'outsourcing' lol You still get surprised this happens?

Back