OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G SATA III - $159.99 after $30 MIR

Finny76

[H]ard|Gawd
OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC

This has to be the best SATA III 128GB SSD deal out there at the moment!

:D

Features
Max Read:
up to 500 MB/s (SATA 6Gbps)
up to 280 MB/s (SATA 3Gbps)

Max Write:
up to 450 MB/s (SATA 6Gbps)
up to 260 MB/s (SATA 3Gbps)

4KB Random Read: 20,000 IOPS (75 MB/s)
4KB Random Write: 20,000 IOPS (75 MB/s)

TRIM (requires OSsupport)

beware: the solid 3 has asynchronous nand.

the numbers you see here are false. the 500MB/s only happens if you write all zeros.

when purchasing a sata 3 drive, you always want synchronous nand

YOU WANT THESE
SandForce SF-2281 with 32nm Toggle Mode NAND
OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS, Patriot Wildfire

SandForce SF-2281 with 25nm Synchronous NAND
OCZ Vertex 3, Corsair Force Series GT, OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G

YOU DO NOT WANT THESE
SandForce SF-2281 with 25nm Asynchronous NAND
OCZ Agility 3, OCZ Solid 3, Corsair Force Series 3, OWC Mercury Electra 6G

Even still, it's going to be fast and unless you are benchmarking you probably would not notice the difference. Good deal because it's close to $1 per Gb.

What ever happened to the supposed SSD price drop that was supposed to happen after the 2010 holidays?

What ever happened to the supposed SSD price drop that was supposed to happen after the 2010 holidays?

For one, you have new tech. So demand for new tech goes up. Manufacturing of old drives stop, which means supply goes down, which means prices stay higher (Why is DDR2 more expensive than DDR3). More people (consumers, distributors, computer manufacturers) want SSDs today than they did a year ago so price stays higher. Even the 40gb SSD prices have stayed high on ebay.

Of course prices have still dropped, but just not as much as people made it out to sound. I bought my C300s a while ago cause I knew there wasn't going to be this giant change that everyone kept talking about, which was much faster drives and much cheaper drives. The new drives are faster, but highly doubt I'd notice anything.

I think the best time to buy an SSD when prices get to $1/gb

at the moment they are close to $1.25 ($160 for 128gb)

I think the best time to buy an SSD when prices get to $1/gb

at the moment they are close to $1.25 ($160 for 128gb)

That's what everyone says. The ones that truly get near that price are outdated and/or slower models. Then people are like "Well, I'll wait until THESE drives drop to $1/GB"

Basically, you're waiting around for tech, while tech is not waiting around for you.

I have this drive and while not 500/mb it is wicked fast on 6gb sata - I have had issues with the locking up and wierd sandforce issues - I have updated rom and it seems stable now of course as I am writing this it is acting up again....figures.

dAPsR.png

It's really unfortunate that these drives are so unreliable. I really wanted one, but I've stayed with intel after seeing all the sort of issues that arise from the controller.

as far as reliabiliy I have it in my SB Asus notebook and it is on pretty muck 24/7 I would say in the month of ownership it has hiccuped a few times - mostly before the firmware update and once (last night) afterwards and i am not sure it was not my symantec sep install that was causing it.

It's really unfortunate that these drives are so unreliable. I really wanted one, but I've stayed with intel after seeing all the sort of issues that arise from the controller.

I believe the issues were with the First gen Vertex drives and some of the Agility series.

The OCZ Solid 3 is a new SSD drive.

I recently grabbed the Agility 3 version for $180 AR (it had a $10 better rebate before 8/1). It's been great so far. I put the newest firmware on it, and I'm trusting OCZ to continue to iron out kinks.

before you buy one of these, go to the OCZ forum and read about all the issues... lots of issues with the sandforce-2281 based disks... I had one for a while and had lock ups and BSODs even after all the tweaks...

I have had nothing but bad experiences with OCZ SSDs (indilinx and earlier sandforce), will never purchase their products again.

I also had a problem with 1 of my gen 2 intels, which intel did swap for a new one and it's been great since.

The only SSDs I haven't had a single problem with are the Crucial C300s I have.

That's what everyone says. The ones that truly get near that price are outdated and/or slower models. Then people are like "Well, I'll wait until THESE drives drop to $1/GB"

Basically, you're waiting around for tech, while tech is not waiting around for you.

I tend to think the people waiting around will keep waiting until they are satisfied with the price. On the other hand I spent more for my C300 at launch and have used it SINCE launch intensely. Even paying more I got a HUGE return on investment (ROI) compared to if I would have continued to use slower larger capacity drives. My ROI is worth the extra money I shelled out initially.

Great price, I bought it from newegg 2 weeks ago :|

My only concern is if I can return it after mutilating the little box to cut the UPC for the rebate off... BSOD's are ridiculous. (Came with newest firmware)

oh crap the $139.99 deal expired....now its back to $154.99

Back