OCZ Solid 3/Vertex Plus, how "bad" is the SF-2200 problem?

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been pondering getting a SSD to play around with recently, and looking at some current deals available -

OCZ Solid 3(SF-2200) 120gb - $120

OCZ Vertex Plus (Indilinx Arowana) 120gb - $120

From what I understand the Solid 3 should be significantly faster, yet there are the troubling reports regarding the SF-2200 controller.

Or should I have jumped on a deal for a Corsair Force 115gb (SF-1200) for $130 (gone now)?

I know in general people consider the Crucial M4 and Intel 510 as the better drives, but even with the sales I've seen for them they are still quite expensive by comparison (just for a frame of reference, the cheapest Intel 510 120gb I found at the moment is $230). At that cost I'm not really hard pressed to buy a SSD at the moment.

Although I think what is going to happen is I will end up passing again due to indecisiveness.

I'll never own an OCZ product ever again ... run away ... FAST

I don't have an OCZ product but I have two Sandforce 2200 drives and one of them had the 'disk disappearing problem' that people have been reporting.

The manufacturer provided me with a firmware fix last night, if that works then I imagine a firmware fix for OCZ drives would likely not be far off or already be out.

Edit: New firmware has fixed my drive (although SMART still does not work on it) so progress seems to have been made on the Sandforce 2200 issue.

Last edited:
the vertex drives you listed are bad tier. if you want a 120gb drive, you want one of the following:

m4

c300

force gt

wildfire

kingston hyperx

and that's about it. intels will always be out of the range you're looking for, but I've seen m4s as low as $150. the performance on the m4 will be bounds better than the performance of the crappy async sandforce drives.

If I could find a M4 at that price, since it is actually the first SSD I had my eyes on. But I've only ever seen prices for the drives you mentioned in the $200+ range (I'm in Canada, so the pricing might be a bit different).

Back