OCZ -- Still junk or have they turned around?

Their Vector SSD is one of the hottest ones on the market. Almost as good as a Samsung 840 Pro in terms of performance. Reliability wise, well we'll just have to wait and see, but they've gone through some huge management changes and supposedly they've turned themselves around in the reliability department.

Of course, if you buy any older hardware from them, nothing will have changed in it's construction.

Is there a specific reason that you ask if OCZ is still "junk"?

My Agility 4 2x120GB in RAID 0 array have faster write speeds than my SAmsung 840 2x120GB RAID 0 array.

Purchased my Agility 4 120GB for around $35 each at a Amazon deal.

Not happy with performance of Samsung 840 for the money. Was expecting better RAID 0 performance. Got the Samsung 840 120GB for around $78 each.

OCZ spent the first ten years of their existence being junk, and that last year was spectacularly junky, to the point that it's reasonable to question whether the company will even exist long enough to fulfill their warranties on current products, so you'll just have to forgive me if I don't trust them to not still be junk until they've had about 5 years of not being junk.

While I haven't heard nearly as many bad things about them lately, I still wouldn't use them. Lots of SSD options today and the "holy trinity" of SSD that is Samsung/Intel/Crucial have all shown long histories of quality parts and, in the case of the intel 320 8MB bug, that if there is a problem they get it solved relatively painlessly.

At the end of the day nothing OCZ makes is that much faster or that much cheaper than anyone else to where it's worth the risk of "giving them another try", when there's so many other options which are most likely not junk based on growing histories.

(and of course another reason we're probably hearing fewer bad things about them is the fact that people aren't buying them near as much compared to the rest)

I bought one of their power supplies couple yrs back. it died on me just a yr after the warranty coverage. Thing was pretty pricey too

OCZ spent the first ten years of their existence being junk, and that last year was spectacularly junky, to the point that it's reasonable to question whether the company will even exist long enough to fulfill their warranties on current products, so you'll just have to forgive me if I don't trust them to not still be junk until they've had about 5 years of not being junk.

^ I'm with him.

While I haven't heard nearly as many bad things about them lately, I still wouldn't use them. Lots of SSD options today and the "holy trinity" of SSD that is Samsung/Intel/Crucial have all shown long histories of quality parts and, in the case of the intel 320 8MB bug, that if there is a problem they get it solved relatively painlessly.

At the end of the day nothing OCZ makes is that much faster or that much cheaper than anyone else to where it's worth the risk of "giving them another try", when there's so many other options which are most likely not junk based on growing histories.

(and of course another reason we're probably hearing fewer bad things about them is the fact that people aren't buying them near as much compared to the rest)

Exactly this

I have a number of OCZ components in my rig right now but its pretty old. Their ram was so-so, i had a PS that died like 2 or 3 years in that I RMAed and they game me a completely different PSU so I was kind of disappointed with that. I have an OCZ SSD that i got for cheap but it performs pretty well(was a good upgrade from my HDD). I will most likely stay away from their products in the future because lets face it they are mediocre at best. The RAM and PSU i bought like 6-7 years ago, still running but nothing spectacular. Oh yea and if you want to adjust the timing and such on the RAM it becomes unstable so for OCing its pretty worthless.

their current Vector and Vertex 4 drives have been OK. i had problems with Agility 4 drives losing data.

I hear good things about Plextor too. And Hynix may be backing into the retail game with Corsair; they have enterprise experience and make their own NAND so keep an eye on them.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have two vertex 3 120gb SSDs in Raid 0 preforming very well for the past year without issues. Oh well.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have two vertex 3 120gb SSDs in Raid 0 preforming very well for the past year without issues. Oh well.

nope. running fine here. haters gonna hate. :) I'm still running from release date on 4 x Vertex 3's MI's in R0. Been enjoying it ever since... not saying all but I think a lot of initials grumblings were from sandforce firmware issues or id10t issues.. I've had neither.

nope. running fine here. haters gonna hate. :) I'm still running from release date on 4 x Vertex 3's MI's in R0. Been enjoying it ever since... not saying all but I think a lot of initials grumblings were from sandforce firmware issues or id10t issues.. I've had neither.

I had to update the firmware on the first one I got, but then it was fine after that.

The question wasn't "does every OCZ drive fail" the question was "is it worth the risk to buy something from them vs all the other manufactuers who are about the same price and performance who haven't completely shit all over their customer base" (I'm not even going to get into the possible legal trouble they're in cause I don't really care about that stuff too much) to which the answer is still no.

Honestly OCZ needs to die just to show the world that when you fuck with your customers, your business goes under, no second chance, no "oops our bad on the whole abysmal reliability and subsequent customer support, we'll do better next time we promise", there should be no next time.

Back