OCZ VERTEX OWNERS: New Firmware 1.41

I already got them (2 60G) flashed...

Here is the result:

attodiskbenchmarks.png

ComputerManiac

Is this the FW they just released that is having issues with GC being too aggresive? If so, I'll pass, because Tony is already working on a less aggresive GC version.

GC was so aggressive, it would actually start it's thing immediately, severly affecting performance.

EDIT: Actually read the thread and yes - this is the goods. Amazing how fast Indilinx/OCZ is with FW tweaks. This is the new FW to have.

Last edited:
Is this the FW they just released that is having issues with GC being too aggresive? If so, I'll pass, because Tony is already working on a less aggresive GC version.

GC was so aggressive, it would actually start it's thing immediately, severly affecting performance.

EDIT: Actually read the thread and yes - this is the goods. Amazing how fast Indilinx/OCZ is with FW tweaks. This is the new FW to have.
lol. Yeah, I was about to flash with the 1.40 firmware when I got home yesterday and decided to check OCZ for updates in that thread first and noticed the 1.41b up for grabs. Indilinx is really working hard over there. Props to them!

Judging by Super Talents site, it looks like they get all the same firmware updates but I think they release a little later than OCZ. If you go by the OCZ forums you would be under the impression that these updates are OCZ exclusives.

"rabid morons"

LOL

And yes, every forum's got 'em. Especially [H]

what is the difference between TRIM and garbage collection? and just for confirmation, TRIM only works on win7 and GC will work for XP, Vista, and Win7 right?

I keep waiting for the Intel X-25M G2's to come in stock but I'm wondering if I should just go for a couple of these.

what is the difference between TRIM and garbage collection? and just for confirmation, TRIM only works on win7 and GC will work for XP, Vista, and Win7 right?

Trim is a command issued by the OS to erase unused blocks while GC is managed by the controller on the drive itself. GC is nice because its OS agnostic, but people say that it isn't as efficient as TRIM. So GC is great in the short term but TRIM is the future.

Trim is a command issued by the OS to erase unused blocks while GC is managed by the controller on the drive itself. GC is nice because its OS agnostic, but people say that it isn't as efficient as TRIM. So GC is great in the short term but TRIM is the future.
GC wasn't as efficient in the earlier firmwares but it seems to be pretty good in 1.40 and 1.41. Or, it starts the process in less time than earlier firmwares.

I thought it was quite a bit shorter than that now
It is. More like 10 mins or so. Might even be quicker than that. Indilinx has been quiet about that feature and how they tune it. Any time estimates have been gathered from testing.

I just want it to do a complete job, Like I said I have 2 60G Vertex...so I let it for 2hrs..

Besides, 1.41B is not that aggressive now...

ComputerManiac

Back