OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB $100AR shipped

That is certainly a tempting price, but a lot of the bad reviews have me thinking twice about it.

if you look at both the 120gb and 60gb versions of this drive its like half are saying the drive is defective. I would stay away.

I picked this drive up last time it was on sale for this price and am using it as an OS and steam drive. The speed is great and it was a no-hassle setup, but I've been getting a bunch of bad sectors lately. This may be my fault, though, as I accidentally booted up with my SATA controller in IDE mode after having set it up initially in AHCI mode.

I picked this drive up last time it was on sale for this price and am using it as an OS and steam drive. The speed is great and it was a no-hassle setup, but I've been getting a bunch of bad sectors lately. This may be my fault, though, as I accidentally booted up with my SATA controller in IDE mode after having set it up initially in AHCI mode.

Judging by the reviews I would say its the drive.

OCZ has a long reputation of having problems with their SSD technology. I bought a couple of their 60GB Vertex 2 and had problems. Have to do an exchange. :mad:

I got an exact ssd from tigerdirect. it gave me sooooooooo much headache, made me think my ram was bad, and then motherboard, and then psu.... BSOD every day. new corrupt files everyday. I even lost windows aero. running my win 7 looking like its 1998. now on the rma process. I regret picking "exchange" .. but the next one that comes , I will definitely do plenty testing before I put my operating system on it.

If I would have waited just 3 days I would have been $20 richer. :(

Contacted Newegg and once again they have shown how companies should treat their customers. :)

Last edited:
Stay away from the Vertex Plus drives. I bought 5 (60GB), had to return them all to Newegg.

For an older laptop, they seemed like a perfect upgrade. Not top-tier SSD performance, but a huge upgrade over a mechanical drive.

They DO NOT WORK with 945 or 965 chipsets, possibly others. Partition gets scrambled after a reboot or two. (Is no longer "active" and shows up as "RAW" when inspected on a working PC) I also had the same thing happen multiple times with SATA-USB adapter cables. Not quite repeatable, but similar results after a few plug/unplug sessions.

I fought with the drives for a week, tried 3 different (brand/model) USB-SATA adapters, two drives, two laptops - all similar issues. Finally on the OCZ forums, others popped up having the same troubles. I created a support ticket, OCZ support was beyond worthless.

Short answer - avoid these drives at all costs, unless you're putting into a brand new PC. (But if you're doing that, you'd be better off spending a few more bucks on a higher-performance drive.)

Last edited:
I'm on one of these OCZ vertex plus drives right now...

2 days after loading up Win7 x64, the OS started wanting to do chckdsk's about 80% of the time, and finding TONS of deleted orphaned files, etc.

I thought - "surely its me doing something wrong."

Did my research, installed windows again. Same thing. Tried some different settings, such as turning off system restore, hard drive defrag, and other bits and bytes.

Same thing. At this point, i'm utterly in love with how fast everything loads, but the bottom line is YOUR SYSTEM FILES WILL EVENTUALLY GET CORRUPTED.

I contacted OCZ support - took them 4 days to say "If you have the original packaging, please contact the reseller you purchased it from."

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I will never purchase any other OCZ product, just based on this experience. I don't care if they used to have good products. Once a company starts to jump on that "profit train," they won't be leaving. They are content with ripping people off.

So, the underlining bottom line of OCZ's budget SSD's is "Get them hooked with the fast speed of a cheap SSD, and once they see how fast it is, but that the drive sucks, they will just go buy an expensive one."

A$$HATS!!!!

pretty amazing how the quality of their products can vary. In my old s939 system i was using OCZ platinum DDR ram and they clocked beautifully. More recently, i got a vertex 2 120GB drive and its been running great in my current i7 rig for close to a year.

I've also gotten random ocz flash memory (sd cards, jump drives, etc) which havent had issues.

hearing all this makes me question them for future purchases

I picked up one of these Vertex Plus 120GB drives a few weeks ago. I just had time to hook it up to my rig tonight. I haven't installed windows on it yet, I just have it installed and formatted as the E: drive. What can I do to try out this drive to see if I'm going to have any problems with it? Short of installing windows. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

if you're using windows 7, you want to disable automatic defragging of that drive.

You also **NEVER** want to do a full format of a SSD. It might be a good drive to store games on - SC2 loads up in literally about 5 seconds from double click to login. (with OS & SC2 on the drive).

if you're using windows 7, you want to disable automatic defragging of that drive.

You also **NEVER** want to do a full format of a SSD. It might be a good drive to store games on - SC2 loads up in literally about 5 seconds from double click to login. (with OS & SC2 on the drive).

what constitutes a "full" format?

I've had three of these fail. Finally convinced OCZ to replace it with a Vertex 2. So far so good, knock on wood.

Stay away from the Vertex Plus drives.

I would take it a step further and say, stay away form indilinx controllers. I have a 100% failure rate on Indilinx controllers (3 or 4 drives) don't remember. The longest lasting one went for about 8 months.

After reading all these comments I don't see how anyone could actually decide to buy one of these. They sound terrible..

After reading all these comments I don't see how anyone could actually decide to buy one of these. They sound terrible..

I don't see how ocz can afford to make them. From at least newegg they are going to get a 50% return rate.

I took a chance on one of these... spent two days messing with it.. No good as a boot drive for me. it's faster than my raid with 7200rpm drives, but every time you reboot or shut down, it's a toss of the dice on whether or not it's coming back up.

I took a chance on one of these... spent two days messing with it.. No good as a boot drive for me. it's faster than my raid with 7200rpm drives, but every time you reboot or shut down, it's a toss of the dice on whether or not it's coming back up.

exactly. lol

I will probably avoid ocz brand as a whole from now on.
I was recently doing a whole upgrade of my system. with processor, mobo, fan, watercooling, hd/ssd and ram. etc. only the ram and ssd is ocz's .
I was getting bsods and consistency checks.....
yes you guessed it. both ocz parts are bad. the ssd wasted me 3 days of reinstalling win7 again and again. and 2 out of 4 sticks of ocz ram was bad,

No more OCZ in my system... i dont have time for your failure

Got this installed in my laptop and haven't had an issue. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones.

I already refuse to by ocz ram after a few fiascoes it caused. I may have to rule out their ssds too if I have issues.

Got this installed in my laptop and haven't had an issue. Hopefully I'm one of the lucky ones.

I already refuse to by ocz ram after a few fiascoes it caused. I may have to rule out their ssds too if I have issues.

After seeing ~50% negative reviews for OCZ brand SSD's, I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Stuck with Crucial and I'm damn glad I did. Haven't had any issues with my M4.

ya i purchased it before most of the reviews. If i knew i would have skipped it. My laptop's not super important I just use it for papers between classes and the occasional LAN if we play old games and i dont want to pack up my tower.

Wow, glad to hear I'm not alone. I have the same issues that somebody else mentioned... checkdisk constantly finding tons of problems. Russian roulette until it hits a critical system file, then you're done.

At this point I'm not even sure if it's worth the hassle of RMA'ing. Maybe I'll just spring for a better one.

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, I do think OCZ has some pretty severe issues. I own 4 standard Vertex: two 30GB, one 96GB, and one 120GB.

The 96GB one has been RMAd once, and the 120GB is sitting in my bag, dead, waiting for OCZ to update me on the RMA process. I had to RMA that drive once before as well.

So, that makes 3 RMAs from 4 drives.

I love their speed, and their prices are good as well. I just can't keep re-installing Windows.

I stick with the Intel and Sandforce controllers. Have had no issues with about 5 drives so far.

I also have an early JMicron drive, but its only for hosting music on the network so it doesn't have to do writes any more. Aside from the access times its pretty slow now after all these years, but it still works.

OCZ is crap crucial or samsung for the win!!!

OH sandforce will let you down BADDDDDD google LTT or panic lock mode

I've been using mine for about two weeks in my Aspire One netbook with the AMD C-60 and I haven't had a single error so far.
*Fingers Crossed*

Seems there are only two sane choices for a stable SSD these days, Crucial or Intel.

Yeah, I'd go Intel myself. Great customer support and the most reliable ssd's so far.

That said, I'm trying out a couple cheap vertex in raid 0 for file space, but I wouldn't want it as a boot drive.

I just got my crucial m4 128.

Updated the firmware to 009 (it shipped at 002).

No checkdsks so far, and its up from the vertex plus' 7.2 windows score to 7.8.

AND i'm *not* using sata6 - just sata3 on ACHI mode. Updated the firmware @ IDE mode though - very important, or so I read.

Just wanted to put that out there. You can get one of these M4's for very cheap, and if it stays stable, it compliments my 2600k, 8gb & gtx470 perfectly.

It was maybe 20 bucks more. You get what you pay for.

pretty amazing how the quality of their products can vary. In my old s939 system i was using OCZ platinum DDR ram and they clocked beautifully. More recently, i got a vertex 2 120GB drive and its been running great in my current i7 rig for close to a year.

I've also gotten random ocz flash memory (sd cards, jump drives, etc) which havent had issues.

hearing all this makes me question them for future purchases

High failure rates of SSD by OCZ ...contrasts with its better quality memory business. OCZ exited the memory biz though...

...is there anyone who can vouch for OCZ's SSD? Anyway, I guess my next upgrade will be spending premium $$ for intel or another brand name.

Back