odd problem with my comp after installing ram

the_transporter

Limp Gawd
Specs in sig

A few days ago, I o/c'ed my computer to 3.2GHz (400x8). Ran Prime95 for 9 hours straight and no problems at all. The memory I used for this achievement was the Corsair XMS2 Twin2x2048 2x1GB PC5400 DDR667 @ 2.1v, 4-4-4-12.

I bought the OCZ Platinum Rev.2 DDR2-800 2x1GB 4-4-4-15 yesterday and installed them into my comp. I wanted to see which would provide me the better performance (in comparisons to the Corsairs) and the OCZ kept on making my computer freeze (browsing the net, prime95) when running them 8x400, 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v.

So I decided to just screw the OCZ sticks and install back my Corsairs, since they ran better than the OCZ with my setup. However, once installing back the Corsairs (running them at the speeds they passed in Prime95 for 9 hours), my comp now freezes in similar situations like when I had the OCZ's installed. And my comp would sometimes not POST. I have to reset the bios in order for it to do so. What's also odd is that if I just exit the bios without saving anything, my comp will not POST. Call it crazy, but installing the OCZ was a terrible idea, like it brought a plague into my computer. Also, I ran Memtest86 v3.3 on the OCZ and the results was no errors.

My main question here is, do you guys have any suggestions on what to do? In terms of getting my comp back and running great from the "beginning" (Corsairs @ 4-4-4-12, 2.1v, 400x8, Prime95 for 9 hours). It seems like something is preventing me from having what I had before. Should I just reinstall Windows (as a last resort). Any other ideas would be great, thanks.

Dont reinstall windows until your PC is stable unless you know its your windows install that is corrupt.
If you want to test a new install, use a spare hard drive.

Make sure that the memory is set to auto timings/voltage in the CMOS.
(resetting the CMOS should do this but I have seen a reset CMOS that was only partially reset)

Back