Odd question... motion sickness.

Moshiach

n00b
I've only ever used a 15" CRT monitor until my brother gave me his old 17", but playing Call of Cthulu gave me such bad motion sickness that I had to put the 17" in the closet.

I've read around for a lot of remedies, e.g. ginger, motion sickness tablets, short gaming sessions that gradually get longer, sit the monitor further away, go to the optometrist, etc. But I never tried any of these at the time of getting the 17" monitor.

I'm getting a new rig soon, and tossing up between a 20" and a 22", and a big concern for me is whether I'm going to get motion sickness when playing FPS on them. I don't want to settle for a monitor smaller than 20" since web browsing, RTS and RPG don't give me any sickness, so my question is, is a 22" slightly over the top in size? Has anyone had any experiences with motion sickness and noticed any difference between 20" - 22"?

Any advice, however vague, would be appreciated.

I've had this problem forever. Unfortunately for me it has little to do with the hardware. Its more about whats going on in the game and the way your point of view moves. I played Call of Cthulhu through once. I am a die hard Lovecraft fan an had been waiting for it for 3 years. I own it for both PC and xbox. It gives me major nausea on both. It doesn't matter if its on my 27" tube tv or my 24" dell panel or on a 15". I loved the game but man was I sick from playing it.

fortunately most PC games don't do it to me. Console FPS are the worst. the PC FPS that get me are Quake 3 (with bob on, I'm fine with it off), CoC, Half life (just the original story, I was always fine with CS and other mods). Those are actually all that come to mind. Oh wait: Decent... that series was completely unplayable for me. Instant headache.

I'd get the bigger better panel and keep a tin of altoids nearby. Thats what I do.

It's probably you, I noticed this same scenario in very early versions of doom. I would really get seasick. I think the above quote sheds some interesting explanations.

Were you prone to car sickness. I was, mountain roads had me puking every other switch back. But the second I got behind the wheel at 15 yrs, no mas, Now I relish twisties. Just a weird obsevation, wonder if you've had the same experience.

Croak

before you do anything, see if you can't go in a store and maybe ask an associate to run a complex demonstration on one or a few of the LCD's and see if it doesnt have the sickening effects

Yeah, as a side note I can't ride for very long in a car with someone else driving. Its made me dislike cars so much all my personal vehicles are motorcycles. When I was 18 (before I knew better) I spent a couple months on a commercial fishing boat in Alaska. Imagine being motion sick for 2 months...

Funny to call it "motion sickness" since you don't move while in front of the monitor.
Good advice has already been given - 1.Go to a doctor and 2.Test the monitor yourself beforehand. You can also try playing non FPS games.

About 20% of people feel sick in situations where visual cues don't match vestibular (inner ear) system information. Sometimes called simulator sickness.

I also have the same problem. (Console games are MUCH worse, I guess due to screen size, TV refresh rate??).

In the PC I get mixed experiences (I have CRT 17" Sony excellent monitor):

Quake 4 makes me so sick, I cannot play it for more than 10 mins.
UT2004 was fine. I play it for hours no problem.
BF2 was so so, can feel sometimes sickness, specially if the room is very birght during day time.

I must say, Quake 4 is the WORST I have sen (did not play Doom 3 though).

Waiting for UT3 :)

I get no motion sickness from physical/outside activities but most fps games do except CS. I have been conditioned from motion sickness from CS by playing it for many many years!

I experience motion sickness with most FPS to the point which the become unplayable. Most of the time, I start to feel sick soon after playing, however, with the Resistance: Fall of Man demo that I downloaded, I felt fine until after I had finished playing. I have never felt so sick from playing a game before (Resistance is a lot of fun if you don't have this problem). I have determined that (at least in my case) it is the first person perspective (something to do with the rapid camera rotation) that makes me sick, as games like Oblivion also make me feel ill. And even though the camera in Kingdom Hearts is not first person, the rapid rotation makes me sick. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution to the problem. Usuallly rest and food makes me feel a little bit better. Oh well. I like RPGs better than FPS anyway.

Back