Odd sounds when in 3d w/ 1900xt

Spirals

Limp Gawd
I just got my saphire 1900xt flashed to xtx installed. I have a epox 9npa3 ultra runnin it. Problem is that when I run any 3d app from ATI Tools 3d view- , 3dmark05 etc... I get this high pitch screeching sound coming from the PSU.
As i clock the GPU/Vid RAM up and down the pitch changes.. wierd eh?
Right now I have a 2.4 chip, 2 hdds, 1 dvdrom, 2 gig of ram, 1900xt,and a aquastar 3000 running off of the PSU. I have tried unplugging the WCooler and the extra hdd and dvd drive to see if it might help taking the "load" off of it- to no avail.
BTW my PSU is a Antec 500w smartpower 2.0.
Is my psu to weak to run this setup? Should i try and warranty it? Is it something else I'm overlooking? ANy help would be appreciated. :confused:

That sounds like the components of the PSU are being strained.

It's pretty normal, even a 520 Powerstream just running a single X800 can do it.

As long as your machine is stable and it's not annoying you, don't worry about it. :)

That said, the Tagan 480W in my current rig with a 1900XTX and 3 drives (2 raptors) doesn't squeal. :)

Ive heard the antecs arent very strong. Maybe Ill run 2 of them. I have an extra in storage.

Sounds like a plan, if you have the space why not.

Although you might spend more on electricity.

antecs have true power ratings IE they don't have to be derated to compensate for higher internal temperatures, and they are generally 3% regulation, so I doubt it's generic to that antec powersupply. Having said that, you could have one with a loose core on a toroidial transformer, or a bad fan that increases in noise as load goes up, or some other strange mechanical problem and they have very liberal warranties. Post up in the PSU forum, an antec rep hangs out there. Let us know what you find out also :)

Thanks to a post from Ice Czar post link it seems a loosely wrapped transistor is "rattling" around. I can fix it or RMA..

HenryBravo said:
LOL you heard wrong.HB

Why does the psu start spitting up when a 1900xt needs some juice then? Im guessing not because its beefy...

Anyway- I warn people against testing for sounds like IC recommened. im not sure how I touched it wrong, but I got one Hell of a shock. It took me all night to shake it off! Computer didnt even shut off. lol.
needless to say I put the case back on the PSU and am dealing w/ the noise issue.

Back