Oem Sempron 3100+ & ECS Nforce3 combo for $79 + S/H (no rebates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shodin10k said:
I actually say leave these on until you actually have a problem, i never had to turn these off to overclock my cpu, or to have a stable system
Normally i would agree but sidebanding is a relic from the geforce2/3 days and never worked well to begin with. Fastwrites i'm not as sure of....has anyone noticed a performance boost on newer video cards with Fastwrites enabled?

I couldn't oc worth a darn with those two options enabled... Though i'm sure YMMV

Product is still in stock btw

quick question before I pull the trigger. I may be asking for too much out of a <$100 combo....

is the sempy 64-bit enabled?

Just got off the phone with them, and it shipped on monday with an eta of this friday.

Is it unusual for them not to send a confirmation email after placing an order??

I never got any form of message about having placed the order nor an order number, hence the reason I finally called.

Anyway, maybe I can build the machine this weekend and bring it up to my nephew in law next weekend.

Thanks again for the post!

Bullitt said:
quick question before I pull the trigger. I may be asking for too much out of a <$100 combo....

Quite a few at other hardware forums claim this same cpu/combo is 64-bit enabled. Everest claims it also, but i personally couldn't say for sure.

Limahl said:
Just got off the phone with them, and it shipped on monday with an eta of this friday.

Is it unusual for them not to send a confirmation email after placing an order??

I never got any form of message about having placed the order nor an order number, hence the reason I finally called.

Anyway, maybe I can build the machine this weekend and bring it up to my nephew in law next weekend.

Thanks again for the post!

Maybe it got put in your junk mail or something.

SJetski71 said:
Quite a few at other hardware forums claim this same cpu/combo is 64-bit enabled. Everest claims it also, but i personally couldn't say for sure.

I've read that as well. I don't want to get my hopes up, but either way, its a hella jump for the GF's machine. I guess she can play yahoo games @ 1.8ghz instead of the 1.2 :D

Bullitt said:

jeez what more do you want???? :p

it should be 64 bit (my palermo was)

I bit. Too good to pass up for a basic setup. I just wish it supported more than 2 sticks of RAM. Thanks op! :cool:

A few more notes on this. The AGP slot is 8x. My older AGP 2x and 4x cards won’t fit due to some plastic in the way. I know some 3100's were 64-bit enabled, but SDA3100AIP3AX was 32-bit. SuSE did its best to try and tell me it was 64-bit, but if you ended up with AX as the last two chars it is 32-bit. If the last two are BX it has the 64-bit instruction set. Goofy.

Pretty happy with this. Nice little server box.

with 1.5g ram and a 6800oc card, you guys think I can play BF2 at 1024x768?
Cuz thats exactly what I plan to do with this system.

mobo and cpu--80
video card--100
DVD Writer DL-30
RAM-40 bucks Ebay (1GB) the other 512 on hand
case/HDD/card reader-free

not bad for a little over 250 me thinks.

Just to verify, this is not a PIB? I need to buy fan/heatsink/paste along w/this combo?

heelix said:
I know some 3100's were 64-bit enabled, but SDA3100AIP3AX was 32-bit. SuSE did its best to try and tell me it was 64-bit, but if you ended up with AX as the last two chars it is 32-bit. If the last two are BX it has the 64-bit instruction set. Goofy..
Some have now reported running XP64 beta on this combo, hopefully AMD hasn't disabled 64bit instructions; it is rumored that AMD has unofficially stopped disabling it (?) but it may just be more hearsay. I would try it out but don't feel like fooling around with another buggy OS :p

Talonz said:
I bit, has anyone heard any luck with clockgen and this combo?
Ya, this combo can range anywhere from 251~300HTT with clockgen. Its hard to say what the average is but i think it's around 260ish HTT. I've read of a couple hitting 280, one person claims 300HTT. My combo is at 260HTT 100% stable, will someday try for 270.

Pkirk618 said:
with 1.5g ram and a 6800oc card, you guys think I can play BF2 at 1024x768?
Cuz thats exactly what I plan to do with this system.

mobo and cpu--80
video card--100
DVD Writer DL-30
RAM-40 bucks Ebay (1GB) the other 512 on hand
case/HDD/card reader-free

not bad for a little over 250 me thinks.

This combo will be quite playable with the 6800.

Yup. Your key is 2GB of ram. BF2 love memory more than video cards. 1GB will work, but you will need to tone down some details. Funny huh ram affecting video card settings :p

I just received my combo today but don't have a full system's worth of components so I can't test to see if my Sempron is 64-bit or not. Is there any way to tell cosmetically?

The sticker on the package that the CPU was in said that it was 32-bit but I'm not sure if I should trust that or not.

SJetski71 said:
It's back and for $10 less than the last time: http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4705559

oem = no heatsink

Anybody looking for a decent deal on a cooler can get the stock heatsink for $7.26 AC using the paypal coupon code: CPPEBAY03 (deducts $3.74 off the shipping)
Alternate heatsink deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-AMD-OPTERON...862280845QQcategoryZ80142QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (use the same coupon posted above)

I just did exactly this... this should hold me over for my machine until Christmas. However, the EBAY shipping code doesn't work anymore :(

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just received mine too... it's a SDA3100AIP3AX CBAEW 0524BPAW... pretty old chip there but still a great deal imho. ;)

Vengance_01 said:
look at the CPU code, you want a BX at the end I think.
Nobody has posted recieving a BX stepping with this combo, everybody so far has reported recieving the SDA3100AIP3AX.

product is still in stock btw, ebay will be flooded with these for months to come...

SJetski71 said:
Nobody has posted recieving a BX stepping with this combo, everybody so far has reported recieving the SDA3100AIP3AX.

prodcut is still in stock btw, ebay will be flooded for months to come...

I seriously doubt anyone would have a -bx... but I was hoping.. then I would have jumped on it. I'd rather shell out the extra few bucks to just get an optie 144 lol.

Jeff Foley said:
Just received mine too... it's a SDA3100AIP3AX CBAEW 0524BPAW... pretty old chip there but still a great deal imho. ;)
Care to see if it'll run some 64bit OS for us, WIN XP64 beta perhaps? :)

I have read about a dozen people claiming to run 64bit on this combo, but some [H] confirmation would be fantastic

SJetski71 said:
Care to see if it'll run some 64bit OS for us, WIN XP64 beta perhaps? :)

I have read about a dozen people claiming to run 64bit on this combo, but some [H] confirmation would be fantastic

Sure, just waiting for a heatsink to show up tomorrow or Friday. I have a couple XP64 disks laying around still so it shouldn't be a problem... unless the chip isn't capable. ;)

If the guys on eBay that are selling the same thing... then I guess there is a chance of getting BX chip. I just looked at eBay and the guy zoomed in at the chip and it had BX... w00t! I am going to keep an eye on it.

Got mine today- works perfect
Running Server 2003 like a champ

Plus, its 64 bit enabled! (but using 32 bit Server) - no SSE3 since its based on Newcastle and 130nm

sempy31000bi.jpg

fuelvolts said:
Got mine today- works perfect
Running Server 2003 like a champ

Plus, its 64 bit enabled! (but using 32 bit Server) - no SSE3 since its based on Newark and 130nm

sempy31000bi.jpg

Is that the BX one?

noobtech said:
Is that the BX one?

nope ax - I was disappointed at first when I saw it but everest and cpuz both say x64!

Granted - it will probably never see the light of 64-bit day though

BTW - sempy is idling at 92F with CnQ on and stock AMD heatsink

My data transfers are so much faster than with my Pally 2000+
went from 40% transfer efficiency to 60% (not to mention quieter, faster, and 64bit)

not bad for $80 - by far the [H]ottest deal I have ever gotten from these forums

I bit on this deal soley because of its hotness, and was planning to sell it, but after reading this thread, I think I'll build a side machine with it...just need a cheapo video card and a case/psu...I have an old case but the ventillation "blows."

I have a combo on the way and here will be my setup:

The combo: 80$
Stock Opteron DC Heatsink. Free This will be over kill, but I have it so why not use it.
9500Pro 128MB Card Free
1GB PC3200 Refurb from newegg 50$
160GB ATA Segate 7200RPM Drive Free
NEC DL DVD Burner OEM 35$
Case/PSU: Antec case with 350 24pin new generation Watt PSU 70$ local
LCD: Un decided yet, but looking for something cheap used, and small 100$ max

So for 300$ max, I got me a rocking machine, can play all current games, can encode/burn DVD's and will make a good back-up/server/Lan Machine :D

I take that back, I sold my friend my old 6800NU PCI-E pulled from a dell for 75$ so make 225$ out of my pocket :p

If anyone manages to get one with BX, they're really nice chips. Mine's got x86-64 and SSE3, and idles at 29C with the stock HSF overlocked to 2.52. Not bad for a "budget" chip. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back