Oem Sempron 3100+ & ECS Nforce3 combo for $79 + S/H (no rebates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
silentnswift said:
I thought that all the venice chips have SSE3 on them? Somebody confirmed that the 3000+ was indeed a venice so I'm still not sure of which deal to get. Are these Semprons the new 90nm ones? And will this heatsink + fan fit on the Sempron even though it says for Semprons 3500+ on Socket 754 http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4446386 ?

That HSF will fit.

Can somone recommend some cheap ram from Newegg for this board that will do basic overclocking like what was described in this thread? Is PC3200 ok or do I really needPC4000 to do 250MHz? Thanks!

btw ended up buying a Fortron 350W from Directron that should work well.
http://www.directron.com/ax400pn.html

mesostinky said:
Can somone recommend some cheap ram from Newegg for this board that will do basic overclocking like what was described in this thread? Is PC3200 ok or do I really needPC4000 to do 250MHz? Thanks!

btw ended up buying a Fortron 350W from Directron that should work well.
http://www.directron.com/ax400pn.html

I have that PSU, good choice. PC3200 is ok, just set the memory clock to 166mhz in the BIOS and it will be just a bit about 200 mhz when you up the FSB to 250.

brycejones said:
I have that PSU, good choice. PC3200 is ok, just set the memory clock to 166mhz in the BIOS and it will be just a bit about 200 mhz when you up the FSB to 250.

I was planning on the 166 route since obviously with PC3200 can't go 1:1. So you think that most PC3200 can handle that slight increase over spec(200MHz)? If I can run it at 2250 then I'll be more than satisfied. I only upgrade my home Pc like once ever 3-4 years, so this whole process is kind of big deal for me. ;)

mesostinky said:
I was planning on the 166 route since obviously with PC3200 can't go 1:1. So you think that most PC3200 can handle that slight increase over spec(200MHz)? If I can run it at 2250 then I'll be more than satisfied. I only upgrade my home Pc like once ever 3-4 years, so this whole process is kind of big deal for me. ;)

I've got basic Corsair Value PC3200 running in my 3 boards.

mesostinky said:

Im in the same boat as you. I hit 2250MHz fine on this. But, my ram is running at like 220MHz with 2.3.3.6 timmings. Not to bad for PC3200. Memtest and Prime all run fine, but I had to max out the voltages but with my good cooling, temps are fine.

I run 250HTT with a 166 divider and it comes out to 205mhz on the memory IIRC. 2250mhz on stock voltage with a regular stock cooler.

Just installed latest nforce 3 drivers on this combo, completely killed windows, reinstalled windows and installed ones from cd, seems fine so far. anyone else have this problem?

doox00 said:
Just installed latest nforce 3 drivers on this combo, completely killed windows, reinstalled windows and installed ones from cd, seems fine so far. anyone else have this problem?

Nope, I had (mostly) the opposite; if I installed from the CD, the OS went south on next reboot. If I installed from NVIDIA, everything except sound, it worked fine. Sound I still needed off the CD.

kirbyrj said:
I run 250HTT with a 166 divider and it comes out to 205mhz on the memory IIRC. 2250mhz on stock voltage with a regular stock cooler.

I was easily able to do the same, though it seems not to be totally stable at that voltage, and ran too hot (54C) for my comfort under full load (and since I do Einstein@Home, ClimateChange@Home, and Seti@Home via BOINC on the box, it's always under full load); right now, I'm back at stock; I'll eventually settle on something, but the case I've mounted it in is notorious for being hot; I want to figure out how to get the temperature down before I up the voltage. System is DEAD stable at stock, so I'm okay for now with that.

doox00 said:

5.11 drivers (specifically LAN driver) would hose my Windows install. The 5.10 drivers work fine for me though.

And I'm running a gig of Geil value ram and a gig of Corsair value ram and they do just fine with a 10% overclock (220 MHz). Biggest issue will be temps in the upcoming summer.

Fenris_Ulf said:
5.11 drivers (specifically LAN driver) would hose my Windows install. The 5.10 drivers work fine for me though.

And I'm running a gig of Geil value ram and a gig of Corsair value ram and they do just fine with a 10% overclock (220 MHz). Biggest issue will be temps in the upcoming summer.

Good to know a few of you are using Corsair et al Value Mem with little issue since that is what I'm thinking of buying. Elsewhere someone said 2.25GHz works out to like 208MHz so hopefully I be fine with that little an OC.

I am so excited... I recieved mine in the mail yesterday and today I am getting my new case and eVGA 5500 256 agp in the mail. Then I just gotta wait for my two 120mb hard drives from woot's wootoff. LoL I LOVE IT!! It's beautiful and the price was great. hehe

Anyone know what driver goes with the "other PCI Bridge Device" with this board?

doox00 said:
how do you set the ram divider on this mainboard?

Set the ram to a fixed frequency instead of Auto.....A speed of 166 yields a RAM spead of 208 mhz when then board is set to a fsb of 250 mhz.

when looking at the temps in everest free edition, the cpu is at 31c, thats fine.. but it lists aux, at 77c.. what the heck is that and why is it so hot? I have 2 of these combos, both of them show this aux at 77-79c

nice, at 250fsb, 2.25ghz, 41c on full load.. was going to go higher and there is no higher, doh!

doox00 said:
when looking at the temps in everest free edition, the cpu is at 31c, thats fine.. but it lists aux, at 77c.. what the heck is that and why is it so hot? I have 2 of these combos, both of them show this aux at 77-79c

It's not that hot, it's just that there's no sensor so it reads the maximum amount. That's not really a reading, there's only one active sensor on the motherboard, and that's for the CPU.

doox00 said:
nice, at 250fsb, 2.25ghz, 41c on full load.. was going to go higher and there is no higher, doh!

The PLL in the motherboard can go higher, but the BIOS can only set it up to 250. Gotta use Clockgen to get past 250. You can easily get to 266 (2.4 GHz) with decent cooling.

The deal is live again at the Houston area Fry's stores! Good today and tomorrow at least.

noobtech said:
Is it limited to one per customer? You should hop all over it and then some.
The ad says "Limit 1 per Customer", but I don't imagine they'd stop you from making multiple trips in and out of the store. You KNOW they're not losing any money on these.

Mohonri said:
The ad says "Limit 1 per Customer", but I don't imagine they'd stop you from making multiple trips in and out of the store. You KNOW they're not losing any money on these.

That and the employees might not even care since it's the companys money not their own. It's to bad it's not this price online anymore though that was one sweet deal :).

People are selling it on ebay for more, but after all the ebay fee's it isn't worth it to sell it...

nope, I havn't found a hacked bios.

There is no modded BIOS AFAIK.

Clockgen works just fine from Windows, you just have to remember to run it every time you boot.

Socrilles17 said:
The new combo is an nforce4 mobo, at least in the renton fry's for what its worth...

What mobo and processor is it? how much? I'm in Lynnwood. woot

What is the max safe voltage and temp for this combo? I ran mine at max voltages in bios and temps got to just under 50C in a hot room. I havn't OC'd since Socket A days so I am still getting my bearings.

The Other said:
has anybody found a hacked bios for this yet..

Nothing hacked, but apparently the latest bios from the ECS website allows better OC.

from anandtech forums (furballi):

< BIOS update allows up to 400MHz FSB. Many adjustable RAM settings, including HT, RAM speed (200/166/133/100), Tras, Trcd, Trp, 1T/2T, and more. There's a setting called CPU THERMAL-THROTTLING but it is not shown in BIOS. CPU voltage goes in +25mV increment up to +375mV. Dimm is 2.5 to 3.1 in .1 step. >

oldnavy said:
Nothing hacked, but apparently the latest bios from the ECS website allows better OC.

from anandtech forums (furballi):

< BIOS update allows up to 400MHz FSB. Many adjustable RAM settings, including HT, RAM speed (200/166/133/100), Tras, Trcd, Trp, 1T/2T, and more. There's a setting called CPU THERMAL-THROTTLING but it is not shown in BIOS. CPU voltage goes in +25mV increment up to +375mV. Dimm is 2.5 to 3.1 in .1 step. >

Where are you seeing this BIOS? I only see 1.0f.

Talonz said:
Where are you seeing this BIOS? I only see 1.0f.

I have not played with this yet, still have another build to finish. Was just reading the thread over at AT and passed on the info. Looking at ECS website, looks like there is a bios 1.1a and 1.0h for the V1.0 mobos. Not sure what version furballi has flashed to. Also not sure if the mobo I have is V1.0 or V2.0A.

oldnavy said:
I have not played with this yet, still have another build to finish. Was just reading the thread over at AT and passed on the info. Looking at ECS website, looks like there is a bios 1.1a and 1.0h for the V1.0 mobos. Not sure what version furballi has flashed to. Also not sure if the mobo I have is V1.0 or V2.0A.
Which motherboard are you talking about? The latest BIOS on the ECS site for the nforce3-a is 1.0f.

Last night I decided to do some light video editing; I needed to bring some video into my ViVo card. To let you know, I'm dialed back to stock at the moment.

So, I've got the WDM drivers installed, the NForce 3 drivers installed, the latest Forceware drivers, etc.

Start the program, go the video capture area...
Instant Reboot.
Ok, so I log back into Windows, turn off the reboot on BSOD (forgot to turn it off when I installed).
Same sequence, BSOD.
NV4_mini.dll is the culprit.

NV>4<???? I never installed NForce4 drivers!
Try to reinstall the default NForce3, WDM, etc drivers.
During installing the NForce3 drivers from the website, BSOD
NVMAM.dll.

Totally repeatable.... everytime I try to reinstall the NF3 drivers from NVidia, that's what I get. And yes, I'm not installing the NF3 Audio drivers.

WTH????

Anyone want to help troubleshoot what's wrong with the drivers on this thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back