OEM video card. Do or Dont?

swanysto

Limp Gawd
I wanted to see what you guys think about OEM video cards. I have not had any experience with them. I am looking for a fairly inexpensive video card with decent performance. I was looking on newegg, and the 6800gt's are a little out of reach.

I found a saphire x850xt for 218 at newegg but it is OEM. The same card only retail is 229. If I dont have to, I would rather not spend the 10 bucks. But if it is worth it then I guess I would.

Also if you have any suggestions as to a video card that is a better peroformer for the price, then I am open to it. I would however like to stay new. I would rather not take any chances at buying used. Also I am not a fan of overclocking my video cards, I have enough heat in my system with a prescott processor.

The games I play are HL2, BF2, and Farcry.

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan

OEM generally comes in a plain white box with the bare card, instead of a colorful retail box with various games and such.

If that matters to you...

I've bought a couple OEM products from Newegg. The 9600 in my second rig was OEM. All it came with was a CD for drivers, and the video connections. Unless you feel the need for full documentation <a lot of which is available on the web> and a box with a lot of advertisements, OEM is fine IMO. this goes doubly so for me with hard drives, but thats off topic. :p

I just ordered the Sapphire x850 xt retail this morning, I have been waiting for them to get back in stock, they are gonna go fast again...

Considering like 6 months ago they were at like $400 seeing them at 219 is amazing. Shit the 9800XT didn't go down to $200 till the X850XT's hit the market :p.

why are the 6800 GS's so popular? Would it really outperform the x850xt?

The retail is cheaper after rebate, but I am not big on rebates. I guess that could factor into it though.

Thanks
Jonathan

swanysto said:
why are the 6800 GS's so popular? Would it really outperform the x850xt?

The retail is cheaper after rebate, but I am not big on rebates. I guess that could factor into it though.

Thanks
Jonathan
The x850xt is faster, but until a few weeks ago they were $300-400 and the 6800gs got alot of good press for bring close to the $200 mark giving ~6800gt proformance.

Back