Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

anyone have experience shopping with antonline? i'm considering buying from their amazon store at a slight markup.

I just canceled my ShotBLT order, and got it from Antonline via Amazon. I had a free $100 credit from signing up for a credit card a while back, so even with the small markup it was cheaper than ShopBLT.

Just ordered one but I think it might be on backorder. There is no faster shipping than standard but I gave it a try will update if it goes through or not.

Im thinking they didn't get them in yet. I ordered the second it went up on Amazon and it said standard shipping.

What? You can't even do that on the Swift. The only time fast moving text was readable on my Swift was when I enabled ULMB.

This is true. However if you have
- very low response time
- high hz
- high frame rate to fill around 2/3 or more of that hz average (100fps-hz +, with it going higher at times , and unfortunately lower at times)
... then you will get more of a soften blur within the "shadow masks" of onscreen creatures, players, objects, landscapes, architecture, environmental fx, etc. (rather than a smear blur "outside of the lines" and with even more detail lost). Texture detail, and actual text, is still lost at speed (going "fuzzy"). I've sometimes described it as a vibration blur like a power tool can cause.

The soften blur at very high frame rate+hz on a low response time monitor is fairly tight. If you run lower fps, especially 60hz-fps and less you are basically running a low hz monitor though, with a ton more blur at lower hz no matter what monitor (perhaps even more as this acer's response time increases the lower the hz-fps too). That is in regard to blur reduction (motion clarity). You also get way less motion definition, path articulation,"flow", and animation definition running 60fps and lower - instead seeing "freeze-frames" of the same world action state through more ms of time. Since you are actually moving the entire game world around in your viewport relative to your perspective in 1st/3rd person games, this affects the entire game world's motion clarity and motion definition as well as individual virtual object's own movement within it.

Last edited:
I think my QNIX might be crapping out. this looks like "The" monitor now.

what is a good place to shop for monitors? that theyll actually take care of you if you have a dead pixel or something?

(QNIX actually crapped out while attempting to write this too, lol)

ShopBLT's site only shows 24 incoming instead of 40 now it looks like.

Wonder if that is accurate or not.

ShopBLT's site only shows 24 incoming instead of 40 now it looks like.

Wonder if that is accurate or not.

Sounds like those warehouses received their shipments early, as I've heard some people who ordered from there were getting their orders fulfilled today.

Sounds like those warehouses received their shipments early, as I've heard some people who ordered from there were getting their orders fulfilled today.

That would make sense because the number of backordered went down as well.

Me too! I hope it arrives quicker than initially estimated. In the mean time Linus finally added his review to YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTHr96NueA
Enjoy!

Went ahead and ordered it too from them, and it shipped out. April 7th-10th, though I can't see it taking that long. I've always gone with color reproduction before on the monitors, so this will be my first LCD which can support above 60 Hz. Linus is right though that monitor technology has been stagnant for the most part. 4k gaming just isn't ready atm, and my monitors are older than the past 4 generations of PCs that I've had.

I'm just praying for no dead pixels.

I ordered mine as well, April 7-10 expected delivery time. I also am sacrificing a goat hoping for no dead pixels.

Well, after sitting tight for the past month or so for this monitor I broke...

Found a perfect condition, no dead pixel used Swift for $600 shipped to me. That, versus ~$860 from Amazon (after tax) to ensure I'm not playing the dead pixel lottery. I know this panel is probably better... but $260 better? I am thinking for my needs, not likely.

I'm still excited to see what everyone thinks of their new toys, but I'm confident I made the correct choice :D

Well, after sitting tight for the past month or so for this monitor I broke...

Found a perfect condition, no dead pixel used Swift for $600 shipped to me. That, versus ~$860 from Amazon (after tax) to ensure I'm not playing the dead pixel lottery. I know this panel is probably better... but $260 better? I am thinking for my needs, not likely.

I'm still excited to see what everyone thinks of their new toys, but I'm confident I made the correct choice :D

$860 is pretty steep. Fortunately I could order it from somewhere like ShopBLT and nab it for $750, or possibly Acer's official site for $720 (if they pop back up before ShoptBLT receives their shipment).

Still, I definitely could get unlucky with the pixels - 2/3 on the Overclockers forum are reporting no dead pixels, so far it's likely you'd get none, 1, or 2. Other users have it worse unfortunately :p Some users are also complaining about IPS glow.

Last edited:
I agree >$800 is a steep price, (i paid 820) but i have always wanted an 1440 IPS panel for gaming, and could never bring myself to roll dice on Korean panels.

The reviews on this monitor so far have been insanely good so I am feeling lucky

What? You can't even do that on the Swift. The only time fast moving text was readable on my Swift was when I enabled ULMB.

Yeah, but lets say compared to my current dell u2711, changing to the XB270HU will make it a lot more readable right ?

My monitor is a blur fest for gaming, can't wait to get rid of it..

It's in stock at Tiger Direct for anyone curious. While I noticed some people have had problems with them - they do offer an extremely lenient LCD return policy (you can be as picky as you want) and are BBB Accredited (with many complaints, but they seem resolved rather than ignored). I used a $20-off coupon that expired a few hours ago and it seems to have given me two different order totals (my order confirmation says $799 but the order processing message mentioned $821...hopefully they didn't mess that up).

So I cancelled my ShopBLT order because they seem to have a rather strict and unappealing return policy (going by Acer's policy, need 14 or more dead pixels to return, yikes). $50 is worth offsetting the risk of that nightmare, especially after some of the pictures I've been seeing. And I don't have to wait for stock :)

what kind of pictures have you been seeing? are there reports of lots of dead pixels out there?

what kind of pictures have you been seeing? are there reports of lots of dead pixels out there?
Only seen a couple of pictures

But there are various reports of people in that thread with dead pixels, but the most common complaint is 1 or 2. I'd be completely okay with 1 or 2 dead pixels in a corner or near an edge. But if there are 3 dead pixels or more in various parts towards the center of the screen, I'd probably want an exchange. We're spending way too much money on a monitor to be satisfied with annoying dead pixels.

Here's a poll, indicating 1/3 of participating xb270hu users have dead pixels. Since I'm seeing people already eager for exchanges, it might be worth avoiding places that have strict return policies. Personally I can't afford to put myself in a position where I can't return the monitor after opening it without being subject to ridiculous stocking fee despite annoying flaws. This is probably the most expensive single component I've purchased in a really long time. Twice the cost of my 42" Panasonic S60 Plasma.

Last edited:
It's in stock at Tiger Direct for anyone curious. While I noticed some people have had problems with them - they do offer an extremely lenient LCD return policy (you can be as picky as you want)

They make you pay for return shipping though which kind of sucks on an item of this size. I had to pay $60 to ship my Swift back to them.

I'll wait until I can pick one up from Microcenter like I did with the Swift. At least then if I get it home and it's busted in some way I can just take it back or exchange it.

They make you pay for return shipping though which kind of sucks on an item of this size. I had to pay $60 to ship my Swift back to them.

Thanks for the warning I'm fine with that. Many places, like ShopBLT which I just cancelled from, will charge you a 15% restocking fee or other additional fees if you don't have over 10 dead pixels, or whatever silly number they come up with. I'll pay shipping fees back if I can replace at my own discretion, for example - bad backlight bleeding. If I have a few dead pixels that annoy me, I'll hold onto the monitor for those 30 days before I decided if they really annoy me that much.

Only seen a couple of pictures

But there are various reports of people in that thread with dead pixels, but the most common complaint is 1 or 2. I'd be completely okay with 1 or 2 dead pixels in a corner or near an edge. But if there are 3 dead pixels or more in various parts towards the center of the screen, I'd probably want an exchange. We're spending way too much money on a monitor to be satisfied with annoying dead pixels.

Here's a poll, indicating 1/3 of participating xb270hu users have dead pixels. Since I'm seeing people already eager for exchanges, it might be worth avoiding places that have strict return policies. Personally I can't afford to put myself in a position where I can't return the monitor after opening it without being subject to ridiculous stocking fee despite annoying flaws. This is probably the most expensive single component I've purchased in a really long time. Twice the cost of my 42" Panasonic S60 Plasma.
That's unfortunate. Sounds like some of the early QC issues that popped up with the Swift. thankfully mine seems alright but then again I don't scrutinize it for every issue mentioned just the ones I would find glaring.

Got mine today and set it up and it looks great. No dead pixels on mine.

There is IPS glow on the bottom left corner when I have an all black screen up. I don't think it will be that bothersome though. Overall the monitor is great so far.

Mine is waiting for me at home. I'll report on pixel quality and backlight bleed when I get it set up.

i dont see it.

Sorry, it went out a little bit ago, it was only live for a few hours. Seems like they're still selling like hotcakes. I've seen some though popping up on Amazon here and there for slightly marked up prices if you're willing to pay - keep your eye out.
Got mine today and set it up and it looks great. No dead pixels on mine.

There is IPS glow on the bottom left corner when I have an all black screen up. I don't think it will be that bothersome though. Overall the monitor is great so far.

Did you turn down the brightness? Tftcentral recommended 23% if I recall correctly.

Did you turn down the brightness? Tftcentral recommended 23% if I recall correctly.

Nope, I hadn't turned down the brightness yet. Looks like they recommend 24%. Still do see IPS glow though. As a side note, 24% seems a little too dark for me.

Here is a picture in a dark room with all black screen at 24% brightness

Edit: Here is a second picture with room lighting on and all black background at 50% brightness
lCLACkj.png

Is this bad backbleed for this monitor or about normal?

Last edited:
got mine in today. no dead pixels and it looks great. No backbleed noticeable on mine either. Happy as hell!

Back