Official Acer [XB270HU] 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync IPS ULMB Monitor Thread

Yup. Microcenter all the way.

As many reports as there are of problems with this one I may take my laptop and a power inverter and just test it right there in their parking lot.

If I lived near one I would. Fuck having to lug that box around. I can't stand returning monitors to major vendors online , they make it a huge pain in the ass.

If I lived near one I would. Fuck having to lug that box around. I can't stand returning monitors to major vendors online , they make it a huge pain in the ass.

Yep. I just dislike the whole "Dead Pixels are acceptable". Maybe if I was buying a $200 laptop, but seriously, for $800 just for a monitor, I'm sorry, it's not. I called Acer and they stated that they had no dead pixel policy and it had to go through the vendor I purchased from (antonline). I managed to show them their own dead pixel policy and uploaded a picture and they agreed to repair it (whatever that means). They said it would take 7-10 business days after they had more stock upon the day they received it. I'm not sure that would be within my 30 day return policy though with antonline, so I'll try replacing/returning through them.

This is the first time I've ever gone with a cheaper hardware vendor (Acer) for monitors and never previously had to worry about dead pixels. I mean, I'm not looking for it to match my Kuro (http://i.imgur.com/3epwDuN.jpg Yes, the TV is on with the lights off. You can increase the brightness and contrast to see for yourself), as I can live with backlight bleed to some extent, but

hFfWGW1.jpg

and that's only one small part of the screen.

Wow I'm not impressed with these pics and impressions...

Linus was basically gushed his entire review but seeing people with real world non-review units is not reassuring considering the high cost. I swear I would pay an extra $100 for good quality control just so I wouldn't have to go through the nightmare of returning units..

From Acer's website "Customers desiring 100% pixel defect-free Notebooks or LCD Monitors can avail the same at additional charges. Please contact the nearest Acer Authorized Retailer / Reseller"

The option has always been available...just unlikely you'll get accommodation when stock is low.

Yep. I just dislike the whole "Dead Pixels are acceptable". Maybe if I was buying a $200 laptop, but seriously, for $800 just for a monitor, I'm sorry, it's not. I called Acer and they stated that they had no dead pixel policy and it had to go through the vendor I purchased from (antonline). I managed to show them their own dead pixel policy and uploaded a picture and they agreed to repair it (whatever that means). They said it would take 7-10 business days after they had more stock upon the day they received it. I'm not sure that would be within my 30 day return policy though with antonline, so I'll try replacing/returning through them.

This is the first time I've ever gone with a cheaper hardware vendor (Acer) for monitors and never previously had to worry about dead pixels. I mean, I'm not looking for it to match my Kuro (http://i.imgur.com/3epwDuN.jpg Yes, the TV is on with the lights off. You can increase the brightness and contrast to see for yourself), as I can live with backlight bleed to some extent, but

hFfWGW1.jpg

and that's only one small part of the screen.

I would have not purchased any expensive monitor like this from a 3rd party.
unless it was fullfilled by amazon

Even amazon is cracking down on returns though and is starting to ban people from making high dollar returns

cant wait until a class action lawsuit happens since these companies love to brag about no hassle return policies

I am going to miss my original NEC 2490(wuxi) if I get this Acer and choose to keep it:mad:

Its 10 years old and the panel quality hasn't changed or degraded 1%, all props to NEC.

I want to retire from 60hz and I think that time is finally coming now without compromising picture quality.

i sold two 2690wuxi and went with a korean 2560x1440

i have not regretted upgrading and i upgraded in late 2013

This is the first time I've ever gone with a cheaper hardware vendor (Acer) for monitors and never previously had to worry about dead pixels.

From Acer's website "Customers desiring 100% pixel defect-free Notebooks or LCD Monitors can avail the same at additional charges. Please contact the nearest Acer Authorized Retailer / Reseller"

The option has always been available...just unlikely you'll get accommodation when stock is low.

Every monitor maker has some with dead pixels. Panels are, in fact, only available from a few manufacturers. There is just a lot of scrutiny on the first 144Hz G-Sync IPS monitor. That is the chance you take adopting this early.

Every monitor maker has some with dead pixels. Panels are, in fact, only available from a few manufacturers. There is just a lot of scrutiny on the first 144Hz G-Sync IPS monitor. That is the chance you take adopting this early.

I've typically stuck with Eizo ColorEdge and recently purchased a Wacom Cintiq 27", both of which have a no dead pixel guarantee. I believe Dell also has a guarantee for their premium monitors. But they tend to not be so great for gaming. I'm willing to pay more for a no dead pixel guarantee.

Yup. Microcenter all the way.

As many reports as there are of problems with this one I may take my laptop and a power inverter and just test it right there in their parking lot.

i was thinking the same but how would you connect your laptop to this monitor? it has no hdmi or dvi/vga

Well, after reading some of the horror stories about this -- specifically Antonline -- I did some research, it seem that that company has been around awhile, and has a few rather upset customers over the years.

So much so if my monitor had not shipped already I would cancel my order. Normally I do not worry about using an amazon vendor, but now I am worried.

My plan was to replace my three Rog Swifts with Three Acer XB270HU...but my third acer doesn't get here till Monday, so I have been running the swift with them in portrait and the swift holds its own...in fact I may actually like the swift better due to its superior ULMB and 3D Vision capabilities!

Guess which one is the Rog Swift :)

images hosting

Hard to tell which is which by looking at pics. The better question is can you let us know if it's worth upgrading from ROG Swift to the Acer? Is the difference big enough to warrant an upgrade? :)

Hard to tell which is which by looking at pics. The better question is can you let us know if it's worth upgrading from ROG Swift to the Acer? Is the difference big enough to warrant an upgrade? :)
The far right one is the only one that looks different from the other two color-wise, to my eyes, and also seems to display the better color compared to the other two, in my opinion.

He did say he was considering keeping the Swifts.

If that far right one is the Swift it does give me pause to upgrade from my Swift to the Predator because I actually think it looks best. If it's the middle or the left it still gives me pause because the left and middle look identical, which would tend to argue against spending money to upgrade.

There is definitely a lack of color shift among all three, which argues against the most damning point people make against a TN screen and those of us with Swifts have pointed out don't seem to apply to this particular premium panel.

(not between the three panels as in comparing them to one another, but rather that none of the three seem to display shift top to bottom compared to themselves regardless of which is the TN panel)

The far right one is the only one that looks different from the other two color-wise, to my eyes, and also seems to display the better color compared to the other two, in my opinion.

Don't trust digital camera pics and tilted LCDs ... the top looks brighter and the bottom looks washed out, and it looks different in person most likely.

I guess it looks washed out to people used to vibrant colors but I've turned down all my screens since about a decade ago so my eyes are used to that.

I'm paying attention to the fact that the far right screen seems to have better differentiation within its grey scale in both the top of the screen (the smoke) and the bottom (the rifle). In contrast, the other two screens' black levels look muddy.

l88bastard, can you tell us the difference between the Swift and the Predator in terms of the AG coating? I understand the Swift has a thick grainy matte, which completely turns me off. Is the coating on the Predator much less intrusive? How does it look on pure white screens? Thank you for any insight.

Just eyeballing it, I set white balance to user RGB 52 / 46 / 48 at brightness 5%. Preset warm strikes me as greenish.

Just got mine yesterday. Very pleased with it so far.

Backlight bleed is minimal and I may have just one dead green subpixel towards the left side of the screen. The pixel shows up magenta-ish on white, black-ish on green, and blends in on red and blue backgrounds. No big deal I suppose, it doesn't affect the overall experience one bit. I'll settle for it given that Dell's Perfect Pixel allows no bright pixels but even allows up to 6 dead (black) subpixels.

Also, would have been nice if they included some sort of cable management feature into the arm, no big deal either.

The one on the far right is the ROG ;) And when adjusted, the color reproduction is essentially IPS quality thanks to its 8 bit panel.

Yeah the right one is the Swift, in both images, I was wrong earlier...
The Swift has a thinner bezel ;)
It is really hard to tell them apart, Swift is doing well in these pics

Last edited:
Hey guys,

XB270HU owner here. I have it mounted side by side with a Asus PB278Q. Now I have to say I am a complete noobie when it comes to calibrating displays. My intentions are to have both monitors colors and what not match. Equipped with a Spyder Pro 4 and bundle software which I since have replaced with dispcalGUI I can't for the life of me even after calibrating get them to match.

I know that the Spyder Elite 4's software comes with a feature to match monitors but I don't really feel like shelling out an extra $100+ for it just for that feature. Is there any free way I can go about this?

Hey guys,

XB270HU owner here. I have it mounted side by side with a Asus PB278Q. Now I have to say I am a complete noobie when it comes to calibrating displays. My intentions are to have both monitors colors and what not match. Equipped with a Spyder Pro 4 and bundle software which I since have replaced with dispcalGUI I can't for the life of me even after calibrating get them to match.

I know that the Spyder Elite 4's software comes with a feature to match monitors but I don't really feel like shelling out an extra $100+ for it just for that feature. Is there any free way I can go about this?

don't waste your time and money trying to achieve that, because its impossible to do that when one is IPS and the other is TN.

The same panel except a lower refresh rate and smaller. Therefore a completely different panel. :rolleyes:

I thought it doesn't have to be a different panel to pull off 144hz, that can be done with certain hardware inside the monitor, similar to what the gsync module does.

Checker images produce horizontal streaks against grey backgrounds. In this image 3 squares with 1x1 color on black checkers produce horizontal streaks on a solid grey background. It's quite noticeable. I only have the display port cable that came with the monitor so could not try a different one. The artifacts are present at lower refresh rates and switching switching dp ports on the video card didn't help.

My XB270HU does not appear to have an issue with the banding, or maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Cklzq4Zl.jpg

Last edited:
I can see a streak lined up with the top of the red, but that could be your camera or my laptop ... did you zoom to 1-to-1 ratio? How does your XB270HU have so many blue led lights in the center?

Last edited:
I can see a streak lined up with the top of the red, but that could be your camera or my laptop ... did you zoom to 1-to-1 ratio? How does your XB270HU have so many blue led lights in the center

Saved to desktop, opened file, hit F11 to full screen it.

Those lights are just the reflection of my keyboard on the glossy bezel.

Here's a video of it going full screen to give a better idea, because the image definitely has an effect, but the monitor seems to correct or I'm viewing it wrong or something. . .

View My Video

I tried fullscreen -- you are right. But you need to click the image one more time to see the full effect. I see the faint edge on top of red just like your pic if I don't click the pic in full screen.

Better is to right click view image, then click it to expand. You can see it totally hose your background outside of the browser. I'm sure your Acer is just like everyone else's.

I tried fullscreen -- you are right. But you need to click the image one more time to see the full effect. I see the faint edge on top of red just like your pic if I don't click the pic in full screen.

Better is to right click view image, then click it to expand. You can see it totally hose your background outside of the browser. I'm sure your Acer is just like everyone else's.

Oh, gotcha, that seems to have done it!

Any idea what actually causes that? Now I kinda wish the monitor had other inputs to see if this is a display port thing.

Definitely acts like some kind of compression or transmission thing, just doing the zoom in with a non-fullscreen version to get the effect and then moving other windows over top of it changes how the streaking occurs such as partially covering the boxes seems to proportionally remove some of the banding.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt it's an issue with DP ... undoubtedly the screen's firmware.

Crysis does the 24 fps thing with this screen ... gotta use the -DX9 flag for 144Hz.

Hey, is it possible to remove the stand once attached? It seems to have "clicked" in, and doesn't want to come back apart. That would make it hard to use a vesa mount later if so ...

Last edited:
Back